Virtual Members' Day Exhibition - the layouts

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Great video of a great layout and attention to detail Tom. 

Hopefully we shall see a Merchant Navy run again in original condition https://www.35011gsn.co.uk 

Thanks Graham!

It would be great to see an unmodified modified Merchant Navy in steam again, although i'm also looking forward to seeing the MHR return Canadian Pacific to steam too. There's been a distinct lack of Bulleid action since Wadebridge's ticket expired. 

Tom.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I'm late, the van driver didn't show up!

A cracking show everyone, some really superb layouts on display, I'm definitely going to need to read a few topics on that forum that I've previously missed!

Now that all the quality modelling has been safely packed away is there room for me to set Ravensclyffe up for a quick operating session?

Andi

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all the organisers for a thoroughly enjoyable event.

Great modelling content and hospitality from the hosts and quickest load and unload ever for me with a micro layout.

Hope to make it for the 2021 bash ;)

Pete

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To everyone who pulled this together and the contributors, my thanks for sharing. Mr York, if I may sow a seed, how about pulling a BRM article together out of this day of being busy doing nothing.

And to Mr Jam (aka SouthernRegionSteam), your video of not attending along with your posts of Sandy Shores in my view win the Best layout not exhibited for the artistry though Clinkerford was the other one if I had to pick something from a thread that its full of gems.

I'm going to skim my way round this thread again with a nice glass of Malbec.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, pirouets said:

And to Mr Jam (aka SouthernRegionSteam), your video of not attending along with your posts of Sandy Shores in my view win the Best layout not exhibited for the artistry though Clinkerford was the other one if I had to pick something from a thread that its full of gems.

You're very kind, I'm only glad that people enjoyed it as much as I did coming up with it all; it made the tiring weekend extremely worth it!
Added to that, the quality of layouts, as always, has been outstanding. A better way of spending the weekend I don't think there is.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

You know, I can't even remember whether Keyhaven ever took a trip down the M5 to Taunton. The years become a blur. If I did, here's a reminder. If I didn't, here's something new. But old. And gone the way of all old layouts.

It certainly got to Manchester. This was taken on 5th October 2008 if the date on my picture file is to be believed..

1704562655_AYlayout2008.jpg.ee929d6666f0a03a1afd90e15c59c49d.jpg

Two conversations with Mr York at Manchester Shows in the old Co-op venue were instrumental in me getting back into serious modelling after a few years of messing around with odd bits and pieces.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, talisman56 said:

I have one, SWMBO has seen it, and said that it confirms her suspicions about what happens everytime she speaks to me... :blink:

Mine is fed up with the glazed expression as I try to work out what the hell she said so I can give an answer. Yes dear no dear would be ok if I just knew which to use.

Don

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

Unfortunately having made the quiz last night I was in the end unable to not visit the show today. So.I'm very glad that so many of you posted photos and videos of your exhibits  that I can enjoy instead. I've spent the past hour going through some of them and it's almost like being there. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, bcnPete said:

Many thanks to all the organisers for a thoroughly enjoyable event.

Great modelling content and hospitality from the hosts and quickest load and unload ever for me with a micro layout.

Hope to make it for the 2021 bash ;)

Pete

I was hoping to actually meet up Pete neaxt year we hope.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had to take the day in a number of goes not only was my assistance wanted in the garden but  also I currently have an eye condition which seems aggravated by too much screen viewing avoiding the TV is a blessing but RMweb is essential even if I have to take it in small bites.

Sitting now with a glass of old speckled hen I think what a brilliant event my thanks to one and all.

I was asked by someone how SWAG differes from a normal exhibition. The answer to me is the exhibitors and the viewers are interchangeable. Those who come to see the layouts one year are those exhibiting other years.  Admittedly some of you are better modellers than I will ever be but you inspire me to try that bit harder.

My thanks to you all those who put layouts on here and those who looked in. I have a feeling all being well next year there may be a bumber attendance. Perhaps I could get something together for next year.

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It didn't take too long to set up.

You know, I can't even remember whether Keyhaven ever took a trip down the M5 to Taunton. The years become a blur. If I did, here's a reminder. If I didn't, here's something new. But old. And gone the way of all old layouts.

jpg43.jpg

Keyhaven was built as part of a six square foot challenge we held back in 2008 I think.

I'm sure you did take it to Taunton, I remember you left a sound fitted '33' idling on it most of the day while you were off photoing everything else ! Possibly the second show as I missed the first.

15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

jpg410.jpg

This has to be the real thing!

I've only just caught up to the end of the thread, been busy myself. Thanks to all for salvaging something from the cancellation. A shame not to have seen the intended layouts for real. Another time eh?

Lots of content to go back over at leisure, which is one positive compared to a real show!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

What a brilliant virtual show and it has taken from late afternoon - now (with doing evening meal in between) and I have only got to the start of page 11 and putting a few pennies in the charity box held out by this chap called Andy outside the door.  I shall be back tomorrow see the rest of the show so please do not go away - just yet!

Many thanks to all for the time and effort you people have put in, and chuffed to see our former layout, Camel Quay on page 3, now in Eltel's good hands.  [Terry, I'm still waiting to see a picture of that china clay coaster 'Kay O'Lynn', by the way!]

15 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Sorry I’m late as I overslept, but as Camel Quay only takes 1 minute to download I’ll be ready for opening time.

96FC483A-AFC0-47D5-9F92-1177D9C03300.jpeg

944B50BF-5BDF-43C7-AAAA-4684E3C25E39.jpeg

8234F8D3-3577-4EDA-BB54-BB0E48DB7971.jpeg

_________

Best wishes

Polly

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

As it is now past midnight the border is once again closed and the glorious realm of SWAGonia is safe.

Please make sure you fasten the gate as you leave and place any surplus pasties on the honesty table as the Watchman will need breakfast when he resumes his lonely vigil in the morning.

Thank you.

Andi

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

As it is now past midnight the border is once again closed and the glorious realm of SWAGonia is safe.

Please make sure you fasten the gate as you leave and place any surplus pasties on the honesty table as the Watchman will need breakfast when he resumes his lonely vigil in the morning.

Thank you.

Andi

No such thing as a surplus pastie

Nick

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Apologies for the crackly sound. No idea why it did that!

Probably dirty insulators causing an earth leak from the juice rail, especially if it was raining.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3