Virtual Members' Day Exhibition - the layouts

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Definitely looks like Photoshop posterisation, or some similar filter. And the typeface doesn't look right to me for the 20s/30s/40s.

Looks quite the part. Perfectly in keeping to me and really captures the look and feel of Sandy Shores which is an exquisite model railway. 

A real gem of a layout.  

Rob  

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Is this image automatically created from a photo with software or has it been done manually, whether from a photo or not?

it really captures the golden age of travel posters.

10 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Definitely looks like Photoshop posterisation, or some similar filter. And the typeface doesn't look right to me for the 20s/30s/40s.

It's definitely not accurate, but after a failed photo-stack (which left weird ghosting and blurring), I decided to do a very quick approximation of those lovely travel posters; partly because I love them, and also because I thought the seaside is always an ideal subject for them. Interestingly, a quick internet search at the time of making it revealed that there were a surprising number of typeface styles, so I just went with whatever was simple, and looked nice, to be honest!

It is indeed Photoshop, and it took a little experimentation. One thing I always advise is keeping the original image, and duplicating the layer so that you always have the original image close to hand. If I recall correctly, this is how it was done, for those interested:

1. First, I upped the saturation to give the colours more intensity
  2. Second, I increased the contrast a tiny bit just to help Photoshop "see" the edges more clearly for the next step
  3.  Then came the first of two filters, "Cutout".  This sort of simplifies the colours and general image into more of a flat pop-art look I suppose.
  4.  I actually then took the original image and re-did the above steps onto a new layer, but altering the settings of the "Cutout" filter; the blue on the grounded carriage was turned green on the original one, but by adjusting the settings for the second go it favoured the blue instead of the green. Basically, depending on what settings I chose, it treated blue and green the same on the dunes/carriage. Everything but the blue bits on the carriage on the second attempt were removed with a soft eraser setting (to avoid harsh transitions).
  5. Next, the second filter ,"Dry Brush". This adds a sort of painted look to it, although still a long way off the original travel posters!
  6. It was then finished up with a thick white border, and the text (sadly I didn't save the .psd, so I have no clue what font I used. There are websites that you can upload images to, and it will try and match the font; should you wish to find out.

It's much harder to explain than to do, for what it's worth!

7 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Typeface aside, I think its the atmosphere that counts - well I for one like it!

I'm really glad you like it! As I said, it was an afterthought, but I realised it would probably look great as a travel poster; so that's what I tried to emulate.
This is why I try and encourage people not to immediately delete photos that aren't perfect, or even ones that aren't good on first appearance!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

It's definitely not accurate, but after a failed photo-stack (which left weird ghosting and blurring), I decided to do a very quick approximation of those lovely travel posters; partly because I love them, and also because I thought the seaside is always an ideal subject for them. Interestingly, a quick internet search at the time of making it revealed that there were a surprising number of typeface styles, so I just went with whatever was simple, and looked nice, to be honest!

It is indeed Photoshop, and it took a little experimentation. One thing I always advise is keeping the original image, and duplicating the layer so that you always have the original image close to hand. If I recall correctly, this is how it was done, for those interested:

2. Second, I increased the contrast a tiny bit just to help Photoshop "see" the edges more clearly for the next step
  3.  Then came the first of two filters, "Cutout".  This sort of simplifies the colours and general image into more of a flat pop-art look I suppose.
  4.  I actually then took the original image and re-did the above steps onto a new layer, but altering the settings of the "Cutout" filter; the blue on the grounded carriage was turned green on the original one, but by adjusting the settings for the second go it favoured the blue instead of the green. Basically, depending on what settings I chose, it treated blue and green the same on the dunes/carriage. Everything but the blue bits on the carriage on the second attempt were removed with a soft eraser setting (to avoid harsh transitions).
  5. Next, the second filter ,"Dry Brush". This adds a sort of painted look to it, although still a long way off the original travel posters!
  6. It was then finished up with a thick white border, and the text (sadly I didn't save the .psd, so I have no clue what font I used. There are websites that you can upload images to, and it will try and match the font; should you wish to find out.

I'm really glad you like it! As I said, it was an afterthought, but I realised it would probably look great as a travel poster; so that's what I tried to emulate.
This is why I try and encourage people not to immediately delete photos that aren't perfect, or even ones that aren't good on first appearance!

I only wish I had your attention to detail, Jamie.

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

I only wish I had your attention to detail, Jamie.

I'm pretty sure you do, Rob; I've seen the beautiful edited photos you've taken!
Like most things in this hobby, it's all about the experimentation. There were a couple times that I thought about giving up, but perserverance is your best friend.
As I say time and time again, we are all our own worse critics!
Either way, thank you for the lovely comments!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Like most things in this hobby, it's all about the experimentation. There were a couple times that I thought about giving up, but perserverance is your best friend.
As I say time and time again, we are all our own worse critics!
Either way, thank you for the lovely comments!

That is spot on. We all know what is we want to acheive,  the overall look and feel of the layout or the individual building or item of stock. It's how we go about it. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't.

I do look forward to catching up with Sandy Shores again and chatting about our respective 'distressing' techniques. 

Rob.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 08:57, NHY 581 said:

Additional thanks go to my daughter for the loan of her skateboard.

Ah! So that was how the panning was done. A sensible use for skateboards (apologies to children and grandchildren everywhere).

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That is spot on. We all know what is we want to acheive,  the overall look and feel of the layout or the individual building or item of stock. It's how we go about it. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't.

I do look forward to catching up with Sandy Shores again and chatting about our respective 'distressing' techniques. 

Exactly! For many years I never really experimented; never once went out of my comfort zone. I think it's fair to say Sandy Shores was the 'lightbulb' moment!
It's original purpose was a tiny scenic test-bed for making things like the mudflats, stonework, and the sea (ready for the Fawley oil refinery project). What it turned into was more than I could ever have imagined; all because I decided to actually try something (multiple things!) that was completely alien to me.

I'm also very much looking forward to the next time we meet; last year's SWAG event was so intense I barely got a passing glance at other layouts, let alone a nice conversation with the owners! I was super gutted that this years event couldn't go ahead, but to be quite honest the virtual show had the exact same relaxed and light-hearted atmosphere!

In any case, I'm going to go ahead and try and recreate my image; I'll let you know how I get on; watch this space...

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Watching intently . . . . . . . .

Not that closely! :D
Half an hour of experimentation and I've got something close, but not quite the same... 
However, I did find what font I used (even if it isn't really quite as suitable as others would be); It's "Letter Gothic Std", in bold.
I've recorded it all, but I'm gonna have one more go at it, and I'll edit the video and have it up somewhen around dinner time* ;)

*I'm known for grossly-misunderestimating how much time things take me to do, so bear with me!

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Not that closely! :D
Half an hour of experimentation and I've got something close, but not quite the same... 
However, I did find what font I used (even if it isn't really quite as suitable as others would be); It's "Letter Gothic Std", in bold.
I've recorded it all, but I'm gonna have one more go at it, and I'll edit the video and have it up somewhen around dinner time* ;)

*I'm known for grossly-misunderestimating how much time things take me to do, so bear with me!

Are you having a late dinner today?

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Thanks for that - I for one am gonna pinch that....... :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 12:50, craigowen1976 said:

Excuse the very late entry... we've been avidly not setting up outside the exhibition hall, in the hope of being able to offer the exclusive first of a garden railway in action (not) live and (not) onsite. Now let's see if it stays working as the folks come in...

Despite a 'hand of God' in the 1st few seconds, and some juddery running from kitbuilds, glad to report alot less derailments than usual... (tho saying that should a jinxed it).

Open to requests for running sessions featuring other eras / rolling stock...! Tho gonna have a quick look around and leave you guys to play. No pileups, ok? 

I would love to know more

Don

Edited by AY Mod
Excessive quoting removed.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Are you having a late dinner today?

Today's rhyming couplet....

Jamie's more posh than thee and me,

he has dinner when we have tea. ;)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Alright, alright! Just because I'm a southerner! :lol:
It is funny though, a lot of people tend to comment on how posh I apparently sound. Last time this happened I put on an even posher voice and said "Oh, wonderful! Would you like to see my orangery?" Quickly followed by the person saying "What the **** is an orangery?!". It didn't help my case one bit...

Edited by SouthernRegionSteam
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

What about Supper ? That would be truly posh. :kingchris:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

What about Supper ? That would be truly posh. :kingchris:

Definately, supper is a couple of biscuits before going to bed.

Really posh people call their tea, supper, eat their pudding with a fork and don't have brown sauce on the table.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Definately, supper is a couple of biscuits before going to bed.

Really posh people call their tea, supper, eat their pudding with a fork and don't have brown sauce on the table.

Jerry

No mention there about decanting one's Darjeeling into one's saucer, Jerry. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

That's because they have an attentive servant standing discreetly a couple of steps behind their dinner chair, with the aforementioned sauce in a tasteful silver sauce dish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Yeaah... sorry about that... this definitely took longer than planned (I remember now why I stopped doing tutorials! :D)
I also realised that instead of having to go through the filter stage twice just to change the carriage colour, I could've just selected the relevant area of the carriage and adjusted the hue, but oh well... too late now!

In any case, hopefully it's useful to someone. Any questions, fire away!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Yeaah... sorry about that... this definitely took longer than planned (I remember now why I stopped doing tutorials! :D)
I also realised that instead of having to go through the filter stage twice just to change the carriage colour, I could've just selected the relevant area of the carriage and adjusted the hue, but oh well... too late now!

In any case, hopefully it's useful to someone. Any questions, fire away!

Fab. Thank you. 

Right,........I'm off to adjust Hugh. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

dinner 

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

tea

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Supper

2 hours ago, queensquare said: