Virtual Members' Day Exhibition - the layouts

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I give up :pardon_mini:

I'm just grateful it appears and I am able to enjoy it.  Names aren't edible but the food is.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/04/2020 at 08:27, AY Mod said:

It didn't take too long to set up.

You know, I can't even remember whether Keyhaven ever took a trip down the M5 to Taunton. The years become a blur. If I did, here's a reminder. If I didn't, here's something new. But old. And gone the way of all old layouts.

jpg43.jpg

Keyhaven was built as part of a six square foot challenge we held back in 2008 I think. A simple rectangle with enough square inches left to have a simple stick fiddle. Purporting to be a seemingly forgotten quay scene down in Hampshire which was the method by which the Southern and BR transferred stock over to the Isle of Wight. Add in a bit of engineering industry for the nearby boatyard, oil facility for the boats, a small fish dock and some anonymous buildings to the left which were part of the Solent Sea Salt Company and that's yer lot.

jpg420.jpg

The Peco Code 75 track was largely inset into a concrete surface, not real concrete you understand as I hate heavy boards but cork and fab foam infills. The ferry is an Artitec standard gauge ferry that I don't think is in there range any longer; I've still got that tucked away and some of the other bits including the linkspan gantry, loading crane and assorted loose bits. The water is a simple layering of PVA and gloss varnish over a mucky blue.

The layout's backdrop is the Solent, just near Lymington but in the photos below replaced with images replicating where the layout purports to be.

jpg41.jpg

jpg46.jpg

The engineering works uses interior scene photos to give the illusion of some depth inside it when viewed from low down.

jpg44.jpg

A Bachmann 04 Chassis and Silver Fox resin-bodied 07 shunts the ferry with a MARC Models ferry reach truck.

jpg48.jpg

The Blue Peter end of the boards had the structures and pipe bridge (with obligatory straws when you could still pinch plastic ones) shielded the three lines heading off-scene.

jpg49.jpg

Having had to dig a faulty point out at one stage the pointwork was left a little more open.

jpg410.jpg

Tube trains in Hampshire? Well they must have passed through somehow.

jpg411.jpg

Most figures at that time were Dart Castings, a couple of workmen loaf near the bows, or maybe it's the stern, of Solent Green.

jpg412.jpg

I don't see many fishing boats around the Solent but surely there's some fish in there?

jpg413.jpg

Drivers need to take it easy shunting the ferry or there's some explaining to do.

jpg415.jpg

Seemingly the sea salt from the pans on Keyhaven Marshes was highly sought after within the chemical industry but only yielded a wagon or two a week.

jpg419.jpg

As the layout often sat near the desk there was often a chance for a nighttime shot. I can't remember the make of the yard lamps but they plugged in and out of lovely embedded sockets.

jpg42.jpg

jpg416.jpg

Did you take the photos outside in the sun?

The shadows are really something else...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Indomitable026 said:

Did you take the photos outside in the sun?

The shadows are really something else...

Yup, it can make a difference.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Today's rhyming couplet....

Jamie's more posh than thee and me,

he has dinner when we have tea. ;)

I normally have breakfast, lunch and dinner. I drink tea with any of them!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

which show was it that you left a building back at home ??

Tonbridge, just down the road. :mad_mini:

The biggest building, the one that covered the hidden siding. Made a mock up out of card and duct tape on the Saturday morning.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Tonbridge, just down the road. :mad_mini:

The biggest building, the one that covered the hidden siding. Made a mock up out of card and duct tape on the Saturday morning.

Several years ago, a certain S scale modeller of this parish took one of his layouts to the Barnstaple show.

It didn't take him too long to unload the car and get the layout assembled ready for the 10:00 am opening. However, with a mere quarter of an hour before the doors were due to open, he discovered the rail bridge was not with the layout! It was still at home! 

Being the talented craftsman that he is, our skilled model maker fashioned a temporary bridge from lengths of 0 gauge rail (borrowed from a fellow exhibitor). With the temporary bridge in place and mere minutes to spare, the first train bravely crossed the temporary structure and crossed without injury! 

The temporary structure held out all day; albeit with a temporary speed restriction (a gentle walking pace) in place through this section of the 1:64 scale Dorest countryside! 

Best wishes,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
No edit here - CK is spreading #fakenews
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

At one show I had a tie bar break at the centre where the operating arm came through. I managed to tie a piece of black cotton round the two ends to hold them together. This held for the rest of the show. At the next outing  Steve who was operting with me said hang on there's a bit of cotton caught round the tiebar.  NOOO leave it I cried I then had to confess. It lasted the whole two days but Steve kept muttering 'What are you like!'

The other bit of fun was when doing a nearby show I went to load up about 6am only to discover that having written off a metro the layout was built to fit, it's replacement a rover kensington had the same bodyshell but the back seat had moved two inches towards the reat and nothing would fit. i was madly hunting for a torx fitting remove the back seat  got away about an hour later than intended leaving little time to set up.

It were fun days though.

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

I normally transport mine in a mature Vauxhall Corsa. 

Part of the pre-exhibition prep is the removal of all seating apart from drivers seat. 

The trestles fit in the space vacated by the front passenger seat as they are too tall for the boot. I can use them to hang a coat off or as an arm rest for longer journeys. However I now have a dangly shelf on which I have a cup holder and snack receptacle along with a clip for ones mobile phone which I use as a sat nav. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

We took Treneglos down to Wadebridge show on two occasions. Quite a trek down from the East Midlands. One one occasion we set the layout up and went to add the stock in the fiddle yards, which used cassettes. 

We'd all seen the bright yellow box they were stored in, and we're all convinced we'd put it in the van, but it was nowhere to be found. Panic!

Being a resourceful group we decided to make some new ones. One party went into town to source thick sheets of card, the sort used for picture mounts. Another managed to buy a box of PECO Flexi at the show. 

We made U shape channels from the card, with bends held with hot melt glue. And then attached the track with more hot melt. 

Not pretty but worked for an entire 2 day show.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

We took Treneglos down to Wadebridge show on two occasions. Quite a trek down from the East Midlands. One one occasion we set the layout up and went to add the stock in the fiddle yards, which used cassettes. 

We'd all seen the bright yellow box they were stored in, and we're all convinced we'd put it in the van, but it was nowhere to be found. Panic!

Being a resourceful group we decided to make some new ones. One party went into town to source thick sheets of card, the sort used for picture mounts. Another managed to buy a box of PECO Flexi at the show. 

We made U shape channels from the card, with bends held with hot melt glue. And then attached the track with more hot melt. 

Not pretty but worked for an entire 2 day show.

I wasn't going to mention that( I was there), or the time DitD was missing the main building.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Ah! So that was how the panning was done. A sensible use for skateboards (apologies to children and grandchildren everywhere).

I'm still not clear on how he managed to keep the camera steady though.

sheep skate.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Brinkly said:

to the Barnstable show.

Oh dear, you've got me all worked up now!

(It's Barnstaple!!)

I might have to call a constaple!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

(It's Barnstaple!!)

Blame the iPad! It doesn't like 75% of the place names I type in! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 26/04/2020 at 16:35, Colin_McLeod said:

A great day. I have no layout to not show so here is a picture of my shed which is not finished. ;)

20200413_214519.jpg.7a660167721a71e7f6e3575eadebac5a.jpg

Come on Colin.

No more excuses. What else would you be doing at the moment ?

I expected to see at least a model of Kings Cross :laugh_mini2:

Be safe :drink_mini:

Tony.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

(It's Barnstaple!!)

'Ello 'Ello. ....

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

(It's Barnstaple!!)

Constanoon afterble...

• Funny 5