Virtual Members' Day Exhibition - the layouts

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Is that what happened when the pasties didn't show up?

Hang on Colin, I thought you'd finished it!

You might be thinking of my previous layout but we moved house. Shed structure is finished, just some insulation to complete so I should be unpacking the layout soon. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I would like to tender my sincerest apologies for not not attending the show. I had high hopes of getting Work In Progress set up and running. Sadly, it was not to be. Mrs Smith had a long list of things for me to do, so yesterday was a series of dodging in here, having a quick look, and getting hauled out again...

However.... Truly inspirational work. Looking at those models..... Well, they weren't models; I had to look twice....

I do wonder:- If:- A congregation of this magnitude came together, how big would the venue be, and how much  the entrance fee? Fair to say I would happily pay to spend an hour or 6 just looking at any of the  layouts, going away, and coming back for a second or third look. 

Nice work, folks. No, not nice; more exquisite.

Best wishes,

Ian. 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Kier Hardy said:

Andy's been a bit swift getting his camera out to take a few snaps of the train set, so here's a few for you. 

hornsey_brmfeature-005.jpg.d8899039555d0bb895a540a0248207e6.jpg

Waiting in platform 2 for the road ahead is a pair of Class 20 locomotives, 8145 in green livery and D8077 in blue, destined for East London with a loaded coal train made up of 16 ton mineral wagons.

hornsey_brm-003.jpg.1523d96c14c0cc029d6d9d1b7e7114f0.jpg

Peak Class 46 number 153 passes through on the Down Fast with an express service to Newcastle, the rake consisting mainly of BR mk2a coaching stock. In the background a mixed freight takes the Up Slow through platform 1.

hornsey_brmdetail-005.jpg.f91d80efba76bd38429cd90e4a38eb48.jpg

Leaving the station area behind on our journey to the motive power depot at Hornsey Road, we catch a glimpse inside the garage where a team of fitters are busy working on various motor cars.

hornsey_brmfeature-004.jpg.3479a83492703f3603552faa8dd459c8.jpg

Making their way back to the Midlands from East London with an unfitted rake of empty HOP21 wagons are BR Derby type 2 locos 7576 & 5189 awaiting a clear road.

hornsey_brmfeature-023.jpg.d171c4bafaa3335624c40a9e11b3d0d6.jpghornsey_brmfeature-023.jpg.d171c4bafaa3335624c40a9e11b3d0d6.jpg

An unusual visitor to the area is this 6-car Swindon built Trans-Pennine DMU heading for Finsbury Park with the 1Z24 'Footex' special full of Hull City fans who will be watching their team play away at Highbury.

hornsey_brmfeature-025.jpg.1d32c624a88f83db0e6722842bcd1402.jpg

Moments later, an Up Pullman service slows for a signal check on the last leg of its journey with Deltic 9009 Alycidon in charge. Meanwhile a LMR Division DC lines Class 501 glides past with a Broad Street to Hornsey Broadway terminating service.

hornsey_brmdetail-009.jpg.9d91a781990b678ca8e63237c7db45cf.jpg

Nearing the depot we pass pockets of industry, including Fordhams milk distribution depot located on Hornsey New Road. Kaff's doing a roaring trade, as you would expect around lunchtime. We'll take a break now and have a snack before we get to the depot - I've heard Kaff's burgers are to die for!!

It was a genuine honour to be exhibiting at the same exhibition as this layout - just about the best layout I've ever seen and that is because even if there are no trains running there is sooooooooooooooooo much to see, appreciate and enjoy - moving trains are just a nice 'extra'.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A big thank you to all who took the time to participate in this event.

Some fantastic photographs

I’m sure it will be very inspirational For us all especially in these troubled times.

Terry 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

An amazing achievement by Andy York and Phil Parker and all the others responsible for organising this event. Some brilliant modelling - in some cases, I had difficulty working out whether the photos were of models or prototypes. 

Thanks to organisers and modellers alike.

David C

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Yeah, he deserves Platinum for that.

Well, it the community deem me worthy of the privilege of serving in the 'upper chamber', it would be ungracious of me not to accept! :D ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Well, it the community deem me worthy of the privilege of serving in the 'upper chamber', it would be ungracious of me not to accept! :D ;) 

The platinum level membership will be sent to you upon you providing me with your bank account details, PIN, full name, address and all passwords\ memorable info.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

The platinum level membership will be sent to you upon you providing me with your bank account details, PIN, full name, address and all passwords\ memorable info.

And the name of that Nigerian prince who claims he knows you?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Been working my way through this thread and it is an ongoing most pleasurable experience.  This must be one of the best exhibitions that I didn’t attend. Certainly the first exhibition where my feet didn’t hurt.

Thanks to everyone and to the organisers for bringing this to us.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 11:40, Captain Kernow said:

'Bethesda Sidings' is my latest layout and the full story can be found here on my layout thread - 

It began as a project to encourage my re-emerging modelling mojo a few years ago and whilst it was entered in the Cameo Layout Competition, it was actually conceived just prior to that.

Some fine modelling Captain. I put the videos up on a big screen and they are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Dagworth said:

As it is now past midnight the border is once again closed and the glorious realm of SWAGonia is safe.

Please make sure you fasten the gate as you leave and place any surplus pasties on the honesty table as the Watchman will need breakfast when he resumes his lonely vigil in the morning.

Thank you.

Andi

SWAGonia........do you mean Bandit Country?

With the lockdown I didn't have to take any risk to exhibit my train set.

And to think Dagworth is in lovely Great Eastern territory miles away from those ruffians on the Western Region.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's taken me two days to get round the whole show. I think it's been a very worthwhile exercise and a pointer that perhaps in future a few more shows put out teasers as has been done by a few already. I certainly put more than one on my list to look out for when planning my programme of visits. I picked up a few ideas about how to do a microproject I have going round in my head at the moment and some good tips from the demos. 

Nice to see some old friends on show again as well.

Just a possible for a virtual evening venue I spotted on my last trip to North Yorkshire. Wonder if  @Old Gringo would be interested?365007059_ElGringo2.JPG.54bfd5aa55e7eefdcebc4991f0a9fad6.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 17:25, Killybegs said:

a few stills from Clinkerford

I really enjoyed seeing Clinkerford again. A modern classic if you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, that was a reet grand day out, so much so that I am likely to not not go to a real event next year.

Used to visit the Stafford gatherings,which I realised how much I miss having seen and metaphorically heard the ambience here.

Thanks to all for the effort and commitment to make this virtual day out a great success, moreso the generosity of all in the fund raising activities.

Stay safe, stay well and carry on modelling.

Edited by leopardml2341
effin autocorrect; 'to a' NOT 'Tina' ffs. Grrrrr!
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It all looks splendid, Chris, and I particulary like the figures.

Nicely done, sir.

You're very kind Mick - I've recently done a couple of Germans..

German 1.jpg

German 2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2020 at 08:40, queensquare said:

Well the chickens have been sorted, me and Jazz have been social distancing and the campers have been fed so time to set up for the show.

Back for a demo later

Jerry

I have enjoyed seen all of them Jerry. Marion liked the chickens.

Don

• Like 1

On 26/04/2020 at 16:00, SouthernRegionSteam said:

And as is usual, I roll up late to the party; thank goodness it's virtual! Before I begin, just a quick note to once again thank everyone; from organising, to donating, to spending hours preparing posts and videos... well, it's been an utterly fantastic long weekend! So, without further ado...

...join me, if you will, as I reminisce about the summer holidays...

858057431_WelcometoSandyShores.jpg.b8b68bf114730cf45016ad31fa085b07.jpg

Is this image automatically created from a photo with software or has it been done manually, whether from a photo or not?

it really captures the golden age of travel posters.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lantavian said:

Definitely looks like Photoshop posterisation, or some similar filter. And the typeface doesn't look right to me for the 20s/30s/40s.

Typeface aside, I think its the atmosphere that counts - well I for one like it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1