• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

From a goods train?

28 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

...or was it from passing telegraph poles?:D

18 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Rough coupling.

Deux points for Tony but take one away for getting the posts in the wrong order. The version I had in mind was "...from passing telegraph poles. How did it pass telegraph poles? With a goods train".

Bonus point to Mick for further lowering the tone most satisfactorily.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

On 26/04/2020 at 10:07, Phil Bullock said:

Want sound on your layout but cant get a system in the loco - or cant afford it?

Plant a bluetooth speaker under the board, link to your mobile, find an appropriate track on Youtube and synchronise your train with the sound.

If you enjoyed that see our other content on the layout and catering thread.

Cheers

Phil Bullock

I'm surprised this had so little reaction, maybe because it was a bit tucked away?

For me, this is the sort of thing that should eventually replace DCC onboard sound. Mind you it may need an extra operator and care over selecting the sound track - the Flying Scotsman passing to the sound of mewling cats would not be good!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 10800 said:

I'm surprised this had so little reaction, maybe because it was a bit tucked away?

For me, this is the sort of thing that should eventually replace DCC onboard sound. Mind you it may need an extra operator and care over selecting the sound track - the Flying Scotsman passing to the sound of mewling cats would not be good!

Cheers. The down side? It probably took about 10 mins and 4 or 5 clips to get that right once we had found an appropriate clip with sound to get the passage of the loco and train right with the sound elements - approaching and receding doppler effect, sound transition with turbo whine as loco passed and wheel beats for the train.

Good fun though....

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 10800 said:

I think that, during the day, there was a lot to take in, and some of it was bound to be missed or just simply watched and not commented on because there was something else to be looked at. I have certainly had to go back to the topics and look again, becoming surprised at what I had missed.

I will admit to not watching this clip first time around, but have since rectified that. The same applies to several other topics, as well.

Good result, Phil. The same approach was taken by Nick Wood with his Much Murkle layout. I have had the privelege of helping to operate this layout, and starting a train from the station while co-ordinating with the soundtrack is not easy, especially when the other operators are just standing there waiting for you to get it wrong. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

I wonder if a better format for demos might be for each to have its own thread - rather than a single thread with intermingled posts? Just sayin....

I like it the way it is. You turn up at a layout and it's 3 deep, so a quick glance, then a mental note to return later when its quieter. Same with the demonstrations. That looks interesting, but I'm in the way of people passing, so need to move on. There are always the layout threads to if you wish to follow progress and stand and watch......

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Good result, Phil. The same approach was taken by Nick Wood with his Much Murkle layout. I have had the privelege of helping to operate this layout, and starting a train from the station while co-ordinating with the soundtrack is not easy, especially when the other operators are just standing there waiting for you to get it wrong. :rolleyes:

Noooooo! They wouldn’t do that  :lol_mini:

• Funny 3

On 26/04/2020 at 09:33, Brinkly said:

Building Wagons in P4 - but a lot of equally applicable tips for 00 and EM! 

As I said before, spring is my preferred method. Again, you pay your money and make your choice. Bill Bedford, Brassmasters and Maso Kits are the big names in this field, although London Road Models and Morgan Design also produce sprung systems. I found that the Maso Kits system was the one I liked the best. It comes with a setting bar and the etches are very crisp. I’ve found that if carefully assembled, wagons fitted with this system run very smoothly. Throw a set of Ultrascale wheels into the mix and you have the makings of a very good and reliable sprung system.

Thanks for the extensive demonstration and write up Nick, I'm sure that many will find your notes interesting, even for those who know what they've doing when it comes to P4 wagons! I certainly still find useful hints and tips from watch how others work (not that I put myself in the know's what he's doing category either! :P)

Looks like i need to try the hard sell when we're next allowed out though and convince you to give one of Justin's Rumney Model's chassis's a try! ;) Perhaps even an alternative sprung coach bogie!? :D

And a wider thank you to all those who've taken the time to write up their knowledge, experiments and suggestions! Mick and Taz just to name a few! I've come to this thread a bit late, but one of the major positives of this virtual show has been the ability to visit or return at a later date, particularly useful for when you forgot all those handy tips you learnt only a few days later!

All efforts very much appreciated! :clapping_mini:

Paul

Edited by Kempenfelt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1