Operation Phoenix: Preparing for an increase in services from May 18th

Of course, planning for something and actually implementing it are two very different things.  I would also hope there are many things being planned for at the moment in all industries, taking into account various different scenarios.  You need to register to read the full article.

Can be read in conjunction with this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52394835

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Things are happening. Part of my work on Wednesday was connected with providing details of known school movements to one of our two local rail franchises so that they can take account of them as they plan for things to begin to resume.

Similarly, I am aware that, having had a couple of weeks relative calm after implementing several iterations of emergency timetable, one of our local bus companies has set its schedules team to work on various "what-if" scenarios to implement a staged return of service levels. They admit some, maybe most, of these schedules may never be operated, but work is under way.

• Informative/Useful 4

Well the economy is certainly restarting. In construction most Housebuilders have announced staged resumption of Work through May. Most Major Building sites are doing the same even in London.

In my own sector, Infrastructure, we never closed but within my employer we closed well over a hundred Building / Construction sector sites, 90% of which will reopen in May.

Standing advice remains to avoid public transport though. Shared vans are being fitted with Perspex screen to separate front & rear compartments.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Official now, we are going to an amended Saturday timetable from Monday 18th.

I can't make up my mind if the trains will be rammed as workers are basically told to get back to work or whether it will still be pretty empty.

23 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I can't make up my mind if the trains will be rammed as workers are basically told to get back to work or whether it will still be pretty empty.

Passenger numbers have certainly increased on my line, but I couldn't give any useful figures.  There is talk of having to possibly queue at stations next week, but aside from how practical this would be and the various problems it would bring, the paperwork showing the agreed process between the government and rail unions (put online by TSSA) showed social distancing would be self-policed by passengers. 

13 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Passenger numbers have certainly increased on my line, but I couldn't give any useful figures.  There is talk of having to possibly queue at stations next week, but aside from how practical this would be and the various problems it would bring, the paperwork showing the agreed process between the government and rail unions (put online by TSSA) showed social distancing would be self-policed by passengers. 

I don't see how there can be any control over the number of passengers joining a train, except perhaps at major terminals where trains originate. On my local route into Glasgow for example, several stations have multiple entrances, most are presently staffed on one shift only, and one is totally unstaffed; And what staff exist are are in a booking office and unable to restrict access. Plus of course, on a train heading into Glasgow (or any other main destination), 'someone' would require to count how many joined at each stopping point, while deducting any who left !

I have not been on a train since mid-March, the longest such period since I joined BR in 1978, and am really missing it, but I will be staying away until restrictions are relaxed. Social distancing rules will, sooner or later, have to be abolished, IMHO with the condition that in any indoor space, be it train, supermarket, cinema etc, everyone must wear a face mask.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 12/05/2020 at 23:15, John M Upton said:

And in true GTR fashion, the service on the West Coastway, east of Barnham, doesn't bear any relation to a Saturday service.....

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, I have seen our working diagrams for next week and it is a slightly odd mish mash of Saturday and weekday services.  The 313's are back on the all sheds Littlehampton/Southsea's....