The Great RMweb Pub Quiz - Round 2

I want to be the nerd of the quiz that always produces pedantic corrections because they failed to get the right answer.

Question 1 What was the first British Railways prototype locomotive produced by Airfix.

Answer Surely it has to be something like the 0 4 0  saddle tank, the J94, Evening Star, or the Mogul that they bought from Kitmaster??

I note that Phil's answer then refers to the Airfix GMR, but that wasn't the question was it Phil?

I demand points for my answer!!! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, peter220950 said:

but that wasn't the question was it Phil?

He's in the clear, he's blamed me as I didn't correct the slide. :D I'd already been a pedant and removed GMR as that branding did not appear until the brown boxes. Hence the use of the image with correct period branding for the answer sought. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, peter220950 said:

I want to be the nerd of the quiz that always produces pedantic corrections because they failed to get the right answer.

Question 1 What was the first British Railways prototype locomotive produced by Airfix.

Answer Surely it has to be something like the 0 4 0  saddle tank, the J94, Evening Star, or the Mogul that they bought from Kitmaster??

I note that Phil's answer then refers to the Airfix GMR, but that wasn't the question was it Phil?

Ah. Those were Kitmaster first though.

If you really are being pedantic it would be the Drewry 204HP Class 04 which came out in 1963. Which I think was before they reissued the Kitmaster models.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/Dshunter.htm

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2020 at 23:08, peter220950 said:

I thought the same as you but could think which one was re-issued by Airfix first. No 2 Bowman was the only one I felt sure about . And hey if the Bachman 1F is vintage what am I pre-historic  no don't anser that ....

Don

• Like 1

I stand by my answer to Q1 - surely it was the kit for Rocket?  That was the first (i.e. earliest) British prototype locomotive from Airfix.  The “official” answer was to a different question than that asked - the British prototype first produced by Airfix.

13 hours ago, EddieB said:

I stand by my answer to Q1 - surely it was the kit for Rocket?  That was the first (i.e. earliest) British prototype locomotive from Airfix.  The “official” answer was to a different question than that asked - the British prototype first produced by Airfix.

You mean because the original was built in 1829?

If so then the answer would be the Trevithick locomotive which beats that by quarter of a century.  :P

spacer.png

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
On 25/04/2020 at 23:08, peter220950 said:

You can have some of @AY Mod's points as he didn't alter the slide as I asked.

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

If so then the answer would be the Trevithick locomotive which beats that by quarter of a century.  

Making Rocket positively modern image...

• Agree 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

he didn't alter the slide as I asked

I did but it probably got lost in between all the other emails back and forth at the time.

RTR Airfix.JPG

R2 Q1.jpg

Anyway, it's not like it was for a public scoring or big prize money so it's a bit daft spending more time grumbling about it than it did to do (or prepare) the quiz.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

If so then the answer would be the Trevithick locomotive which beats that by quarter of a century.  :P

spacer.png

Jason

I'd forgotten that one, which is more reprehensible as I once built the model!

I also remembered building the beam engine model, but discounted that as it wasn't locomotive...

The Rocket model is different, as you can still get it from Dapol.  I've one which is eventually going to be the basis for a model of Northumbrian...

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Anyway, it's not like it was for a public scoring or big prize money so it's a bit daft spending more time grumbling about it than it did to do (or prepare) the quiz.

Sorry, have you never been on RMweb before? Grumbling is the point isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Sorry, have you never been on RMweb before? Grumbling is the point isn't it?

I don't think that I have ever been to a quiz (pub, youth club, village hall....) where there were not grumbles about some of the questions. Definitely part of the process. Even the TV quiz shows, with all their researchers, make some notable gaffes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't think that I have ever been to a quiz (pub, youth club, village hall....) where there were not grumbles about some of the questions. Definitely part of the process. Even the TV quiz shows, with all their researchers, make some notable gaffes.

I'm more worried that @AY Mod hasn't noticed that RMweb is filled with grumbles. Do you think he's been kidnapped by aliens and replaced with a doppelgänger do you? Or has he developed robo-Andy to sit in and moderate for him and robo-Andy is still learning the job?

• Funny 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Do you think he's been kidnapped by aliens and replaced with a doppelgänger do you? Or has he developed robo-Andy to sit in and moderate for him and robo-Andy is still learning the job?

I know, I've been far too nice for a week and people are starting to worry. It'll change.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2