On 15/01/2021 at 17:09, SteveyDee68 said:

Has to be said, that looks fantastic! Out of interest, is that out of a rattle can or done with an airbrush? Have you thought about offering your services to custom finish locos/stock? (Hint!!) 

Steve S

I did that with an airbrush but the varnish works in such a way that allows you to just slap a really wet coat on which then self levels and dries really smooth so you could even brush it on and get a similar result. It's a bit of a game changer! I have certainly thought about it and have done some straight-to-eBay resprays but never any commission based stuff. Unfortunately I have a few too many aircraft model commissions at the moment to really consider it but would like to do more in the future.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work! Very impressive.

Not sure how I had missed this one, having checked in to Garnswllt several times.

Like the 3D printed buildings. Which make / type resin did you use please. I've been using Elegoo ABS like resin in my printer, but quite long prints even for small items and need resin with a faster cure time.

Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Excellent work! Very impressive.

Not sure how I had missed this one, having checked in to Garnswllt several times.

Like the 3D printed buildings. Which make / type resin did you use please. I've been using Elegoo ABS like resin in my printer, but quite long prints even for small items and need resin with a faster cure time.

Thanks

Cheers! I use Elegoo ABS too, seems to be the best price point/strength/smell ratio I've found. If you do come across any faster curing resin though I'd certainly be interested!

I print at 0.04mm resolution, at 7.5s exposure time which gives nice enough detail at fairly decent times.

Edited by Locksley
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2021 at 22:55, Locksley said:

It's had a good coat of my new favourite ever matt varnish ever ever (VMS Supplies)

Wow! That's impressive looking stuff, for anyone curious check out their video.... - https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-varnish-hd

Keep it up Locksley! 

Ralf

ps I went to TMC and grabbed a B4 after your bargain tip off! 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 03/10/2020 at 09:11, r12477 said:

I'm pretty sure that I would have been one of those visitors after following this thread. Your use of 3D printing on this layout is nothing short of spectacular and this certainly was a driver for me to explore what designs you had on offer. I think the issue for me in purchasing anything however (if I recall correctly) was the designs would be too expensive, particularly given exchange (from AUD) and the subsequent delivery costs. Another option may be to look at Shapeways or Cults 3D as sales platforms as in these instances, customers have the possibility to link together purchases from multiple vendors. 

@Locksley wasn’t selling physical print outs of his designs - he was selling the digital file telling your own 3D printer what to do! In which case, it would have been perfect for purchasing anywhere in the world, as the digital file takes a few GB of bandwidth to download, no postage, packaging, customs etc.

The actual cost of physically printing it out is borne by the customer, either via their own 3D printer or paying somebody local with one to print it out for them.

As ownership of 3D printers becomes more widespread, I fully expect this to eventually become the de facto method of distribution!

If I owned a physical model shop, I would be investigating having a print service available for my customers; for example, recently I dropped some Bachmann rolling stock on the floor, and quite a few now have damaged buffers. Rather than having to hold a physical stock of suchlike, how fantastic would it be to walk into your local shop and say “I need 5 replacement buffers for some  Bachmann wagons”, and the relevant parts be selected from a pictorial menu (so you don’t even have to know what particular kind of buffer you need), dialled into the 3D printer, and 15 mins later you have the necessary freshly printed out for you to take away and repair your wagon? How much better is that than having to fruitlessly search the internet for spares, then ask online “Do Bachmann do spare buffers?” before finally rolling up to the shop to ask the same thing and be told, “Eeeesh, it’s been many a year since we saw any of those around these parts - rarer than rocking horse sh1t, those are. I can put in an order for you if you like, but I wouldn’t hold me breath... Now, while you are here, might I interest you in this 4-BEP fresh in from Bachmann, knock you a bit off and give you a tenner back from eight £50 notes?”

@Locksley was ahead of the game... sadly, too far ahead it seems...

Steve S

• Like 2