Unable to control lighting Lenz decoder

wilwahabri

Using a DCC++ controller and JMRI software.

I can read the decoder on the programming track and I can program the decoder on the program track no issues I have set up speed tables and all the motor functions no problem.  However, I just can't seem to get the lighting to work. I have wired the LEDs to the correct outputs from the decoder. I have a problem with the actual meanings of the options in the lighting control page as I can't find "an älways on" option that would operate the forward a rear facing headlights. 

An idiots guide to programming would be appreciated! if anyone can oblige?

Many thanks

Bill

I'm not clear what you are looking for.  There is no option for "always ON" as the functions are actuated via your throttle i.e. F0 switches lights on in forward or reverse direction. That's assuming you have wired correctly using the white, yellow and blue wires.

That is the problem, The wiring is correct, I have been doing electronic projects with wiring far more complex than this for a very long time, I just can't get any of the lights to turn on. Motor control is fully functional so obviously I'm missing something. The options for lighting in the Lenz decoder in JMRI include "No effect, MARS light, GYRA light, strobe and double strobe" I have to make the assumption that, in this instance, No effect means that there is no alteration to the light operation,  it is on or off depending on F0. Am I correct in this?

• RMweb Premium

The default for lights is something like this:

1693787379_lightsone.JPG.04c98220fcd43e642cb1cc8bd8febbd8.JPG

With F0 operated you get directional lights

With it unoperated they wont light at all.

Edited by melmerby

33 minutes ago, wilwahabri said:

...I have to make the assumption that, in this instance, No effect means that there is no alteration to the light operation,  it is on or off depending on F0. Am I correct in this?

That is correct.

34 minutes ago, wilwahabri said:

That is the problem, The wiring is correct, I have been doing electronic projects with wiring far more complex than this for a very long time, I just can't get any of the lights to turn on.

Two thoughts.

When you say 'any of the lights' does this mean there are more than just the directionally switched headlights failing to function? If so, I would suspect the common (blue) connection is open circuit somewhere.

Does your system switch lights on and off with F0 on other decoders? (The symptom could equally be produced by a system failing to produce the F0 command.)

Thanks Melmerby that is basically how it is set up got to be something simple I'm missing.

34theletterbetweenB&D:  I suspect that you are on to something there, The programming seems right, I have had a few problems with the socket so it could well be open circuit Next thing to check!

It was the socket. I have replaced the socket with a new one on the homebrew breakout board I fitted and everything is now working as expected. Thank you for your assistance. I wasn't sure how the software was supposed to operate which slowed me down a bit!

• Like 1