The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any Ham Radio license holders out there?

Jonboy

• RMweb Gold

I received my foundation license a few weeks back and am studying for the intermediate at the moment. 

During the practical and assessment day it was apparent there was other interest in railways in the room from the host club, and I have seen ham radio mentioned today in the powerline adapter thread has led me to wonder if there are any other hams in the room?

M7JPO

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not far off, when you get a license you get assigned** a callsign by ofcom or their country’s equivalent licensing body to use on all transmissions. 

** The uk is unusual in having a three step licence program now, your callsign changes with each step and the first digit defines your license level. (I got to choose my last three digits as they were unused by any other licence holder).

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, big jim said:

To the uninitiated this just looks like a list of numberplates

can anyone explain it to me? 

Give us a 9 on that? ;)

I used to have a CB radio in the truck I drove for one Company, long ago. But proper Amateur Radio is far more sophisticated than CB & the associated jargon. It's properly regulated, and also it has far greater range than CB too - right across the world with the right kit. I'm not one myself, but I used to know a lad who's dad was a Radio Ham, and he was in regular contact with people in Australia. It would sound like gobbleygook to me when they 'logged on' with call signs etc.

But in the days before mobile phones, and expensive telephone calls abroad - with increasing delay on the line the further away you called - Radio Ham was a pretty impressive means of communication.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

W3FHT

Mine is a "vanity" call that I applied for; I found it on an old QSL card from 1935 or so at a postcard show and found out that it was vacant. An application to the FCC* and it was granted.

*Federal Communications Commission.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Give us a 9 on that? ;)

I used to have a CB radio in the truck I drove for one Company, long ago. But proper Amateur Radio is far more sophisticated than CB & the associated jargon. It's properly regulated, and also it has far greater range than CB too - right across the world with the right kit. I'm not one myself, but I used to know a lad who's dad was a Radio Ham, and he was in regular contact with people in Australia. It would sound like gobbleygook to me when they 'logged on' with call signs etc.

But in the days before mobile phones, and expensive telephone calls abroad - with increasing delay on the line the further away you called - Radio Ham was a pretty impressive means of communication.

My mum and dad had a friend in Llwyngwril who was big into CB in the 80s, he also used to have the gear to transmit TV from his house to a friend across the bay in the pwllheli area and vice versa

my elder brothers also used to have CBs in their bedroom in the 80s (they didn’t have cars!) 

my dad however had his police radio system in the house! 

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, big jim said:

my dad however had his police radio system in the house! 

Takes me back to the days when you could

pick up police radio on the normal FM radio band.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I used to do a lot of DXing in the early 80s as a youngster, and recently treated myself to a new multiband receiver, the sort of thing I'd have loved to have in the old days, but when I tuned in to the SW bands was disappointed, I guess the world has changed!

What was I thinking of, it's like a returnee loco spotter from the '80s turning up say at Crewe today, and sitting on the platform end saying 'where have all the locos gone' and expecting to be able to reuse their old spotting books?! Those classic old radio stations I used to listen to and strike off my station lists (esp those behind the 'Iron Curtain') are now silent, or at least on SW they are.

Ham/amateur TX radio always seemed to me the 'high end' of radio hobbying, the radio equivelent of 0 gauge or live steam in the model railway world! 

cheers,

Keith

2 hours ago, tractionman said:

but when I tuned in to the SW bands was disappointed, I guess the world has changed!

All gone to internet radio

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tractionman said:

I used to do a lot of DXing in the early 80s as a youngster, and recently treated myself to a new multiband receiver, the sort of thing I'd have loved to have in the old days, but when I tuned in to the SW bands was disappointed, I guess the world has changed!

Not helped by current Solar Cycle being at minimum.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The newer digital modes have taken over from  voice(SSB) & Morse(CW) that's why you don't hear many voices on the bands now.

The sun has both old cyxle and new cycle spots on it ATM. so the new cycle should get going soon. Whether that will lead to more SSB/CW again who knows.

Being a VHF operator myself, the data modes have re-vitalised those bands. 

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

cb radio for many years in the AM days, repairing them when there was no one else to do it. Went to amatuer radio as a natural progression and literally immediately lost interest, so boring.

• 9 months later...