Seep Point Motors

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Like many others I’m building a small micro layout mainly from bits & bobs that may of us buy.

Any on to my question ?

I’m using Peco Code 75 track on a Tim Horn baseboard.

I am going to adjust the sleepers to a more prototypical spacing and to remove all the gubbins on the points (peco point motor mount and the spring mechanism)

I had intended to use the Gaugemaster / Seep PM4 point solenoid  which is called a self latching Point motor as I had some in stock.

Well they would be fine if I leave the peco spring mechanism in which I don’t want to do.

So I’m going to have to buy the the correct point motors, your recommendations please.

I don’t want to use Cobolt or Tortoise motors 

Rant over 

Terry 

1 hour ago, ELTEL said:

Like many others I’m building a small micro layout mainly from bits & bobs that may of us buy.

Any on to my question ?

I’m using Peco Code 75 track on a Tim Horn baseboard.

I am going to adjust the sleepers to a more prototypical spacing and to remove all the gubbins on the points (peco point motor mount and the spring mechanism)

I had intended to use the Gaugemaster / Seep PM4 point solenoid  which is called a self latching Point motor as I had some in stock.

Well they would be fine if I leave the peco spring mechanism in which I don’t want to do.

So I’m going to have to buy the the correct point motors, your recommendations please.

I don’t want to use Cobolt or Tortoise motors 

Rant over 

Terry 

Does that mean it's a motor for self latching points or that it has its own self latching mechanism?

Because the Peco points have hinged blades they won't need excessive force to throw them. I use Fulgurex motors with Tillig H0m points which are not hinged and they do struggle (probably a question of the same throw but with shorter blades so more force required) That and their noise put me off them but that may be unfair as I know other people like them.  

• RMweb Premium

Yes it does mean that the Seep PM4 is for self latching points.

I assumed (wrongly) as it says on the label of Gaugemaster packet   “Self latching Point Motor” that the point motor would be self latching.

What it seems to mean is It is for use with a self latching point ie Peco in its purchased form.

Terry 

4 minutes ago, ELTEL said:

Yes it does mean that the Seep PM4 is for self latching points.

Really?  Acording to the description ...

Gaugemaster GMC-PM4 Seep Point Motor with Latching Mechanism ... The PM-4 is a self-latching point motor, ideal for use with hand-made points, and also includes a changeover switch for operating accessories or changing frog polarity. Drive rod 41mm long.

• RMweb Premium

When I made the first post I had just moved the pin left to right and it did not latch with no power attached.

Ive now powered it up on the workbench and it seems to latch.

How does the latching work ?

Does it magnetise the coil in some way ?  Which holds it in position ?

Terry 

• RMweb Gold

If you look closely at the underside of the SEEP self latching point motor there is a spring and washer   around  the rod that goes through the baseboard. The washer also acts on a metal track as the switch to change polarity etc. This isn’t present in the non self latching ones.  How effective this is in holding the rod across or how long lasting this spring is I don’t know? Looks pretty feeble to me.

Edited by BoD

47 minutes ago, BoD said:

If you look closely at the underside of the SEEP self latching point motor there is a spring and washer   around  the rod that goes through the baseboard. The washer also acts on a metal track as the switch to change polarity etc. This isn’t present in the non self latching ones.  How effective this is in holding the rod across or how long lasting this spring is I don’t know? Looks pretty feeble to me.

That's easy to answer. It'll work falutlessly till the first time you exhibit the layout when it will fail totally.

(The most fundamental qualification for any engineer is a total faith in the absolute truth of Murphy's law)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

That's easy to answer. It'll work falutlessly till the first time you exhibit the layout when it will fail totally.

(The most fundamental qualification for any engineer is a total faith in the absolute truth of Murphy's law)

Ok point taken (sorry about the pun)

So what point motor would you recommend for me use, as the layout will be exhibited ?

What about the Hatton point motors ?

Terry 

• RMweb Premium
On 25/04/2020 at 22:08, Pacific231G said:

Has anyone else had issues with Seep PM4 point motors failing  to latch peco points where the over spring has been removed ? 

Terry 

23 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Ok point taken (sorry about the pun)

So what point motor would you recommend for me use, as the layout will be exhibited ?

What about the Hatton point motors ?

Terry 

I've never used them. To be honest I've only used Peco and Fulgurex as most of my layouts  have had manually operated points either direct or wire in tube. Of the two Peco seem to have given the least trouble but they  have depended on using Peco points so weren't suitable for the Tillig points. Most of the exhibition layouts I've had experience with have also used Peco points and track and they've rearely failed.