UTA/NIR "Enterprise" dining car

Lambeg Man

I am attempting to model the 1960's UTA/NIR catering vehicle No. 552 (ex-GNR No. 88 - classification 'B 6').

I have the following drawing of the interior as it would have been around 1957 when it became a BUT trailer.

image.png.1c78c5ece9f011f42e0285c94f3f643f.png

However in 1962 it paid a visit to Duncrue Street Works where it got a major overhaul. The fixed seating shown in the above drawing was removed and loose chairs were substituted. The end door on the left was panelled over.

It was and remained the primary catering vehicle in the UTA/NIR "Enterprise" BUT railcar set until it was replaced with the 'Class 70' set in 1969. However, it was by now designated as a "Buffet Car" rather than as a "Restaurant Car", which it had been from when it was built.

image.png.b7c40c0f62cc477b12e73ee66a4bb300.png

Original query regarding the revised interior answered. The above sketch by Ken Pullin was published in 'Five Foot Three' when No. 552 came too the RPSI. It appears no change was made to the kitchen area post 1962.

Edited by Lambeg Man
  • Like 2

Looking forward to this Steve, had a look at my B9 build and I see there is a lot of background information which must have come from you. I ended up doing a lot of detail that can't be seen so don't worry about getting that formica counter top finish!

• Like 2

Yes, before embarking on this current refurbishment exercise I of course looked back at all your tribulations when you built your BUT sets. Ivor did me a model of the 'B 8' including a very realistic interior, which as you say can't really be seen in all it's glory. However, in the absence of a drawing he got one side (the non-kitchen) slightly wrong. Besides, the 'B 8' was the reserve car for the 'Enterprise' set, hence the reason for wanting to build the 'B 6'.  

• Like 1