Norfolk Orbital Railway

NOR

Hi

I'm Paul Young the Project Officer for the Norfolk Orbital Railway.  I look after the Norfolk Orbital Railway facebook page and the website: http://norfolk-orbital-railway.co.uk

We have a lot of support for the project and of course a lot of people who think the concept is not going to happen.  Just to let you know that some of  our team were instrumental in securing the trackbed between Sheringham to Holt in the 1960's that the North Norfolk Railway now runs on.  They did try to get the track bed all the way to Melton Constable but were unable to raise the £90,000!  Attached is a poster from that time

If you have any memories, photographs or information about stations or engines on the proposed route then it would be really good to hear from you.  You can contact me here, on facebook or email me at: projectofficernor@yahoo.com

We are planning on linking the North Norfolk Railway at Holt through to Melton Constable then onto Fakenham to Great Ryburgh and then on to the Mid Norfolk Railway at County School.  This would make for some great modelling projects!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Paul

Poster 1965(1).jpg

This poster went up in 1964, Trevor Bailey was one of the key people involved with the purchase of the Sheringham to Holt line and is now one of the directors of the Melton Constable Trust who are behind the Orbital project.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I was looking at this earlier today. I had a look on Google Maps to see where everything was in relation to each other. What's the plan at Holt? Will the line have to go onto a new alignment or is the A148 road going to be realigned and allow reinstatement to take place?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The plan is for it to run in a box below the A148 I believe.  This is probably one of the biggest obstacles to the project as this would take a considerable amount of time and can't really see how it could be done without building a second holt bypass to alleviate the amount of traffic problems it would cause