STAN BEESON.

Dear All, Stan Beeson is rightly known as one of the finest loco' builders ever, but did he put pen to paper describing his methods and skills? I have literally thousands of magazines some going back to the '20's but I recall nothing penned by him. Many Thanks, Mick.

Stan was very much an inspiration to me, his quality of workmanship was outstanding. One thing it certainly did for me was to make me want to try and produce models that stand out in details and quality of finish. I've been very privileged over the years to see a great many of his models and work bench that's been preserved at close quarters, and talk to a few who new him. The book does give an insight into his way of working with what information was available and some good photos of the models, unfortunately his was quite secretive with a lot of his methods especially the painting, which was done with cellulose paints. My loco building business brought a few surprises over the years, with repairs to a couple of his locos and the purchase of Hobbyhorse Developments lost wax casting business , which used in its early days a lot of his  fitting details as patterns. One must not forget that Norris was also building to similar standards at the time, and between them gave us a wonderful collection of outstanding locos, and not forgetting Tony Reynalds who is continuing the legacy.

I will dig out some of the fittings and other bits a post them.

Simon

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

These are a few bits that I've dig out. The cost of the fitting are quite expensive, have a look at the cost of the LMS cab fittings, for 1973 that was a lot of money.

Simon

IMG_2595.JPG.3a44a81e2320922ecdc435e8fb1597d1.JPG

Edited by hobbyhorse
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3