Old ballast in open wagon

• RMweb Premium

I've been pondering that myself recently, with a view to adding remnants of ballast in the bottom of a set of spoil wagons. As I only have grey ballast to hand, I'm wondering about thinning some track colour paints, putting some ballast in a container, adding the thinned paint, putting on a lid and giving it a shake. If I do it with a few different shades of dark browns, and then mix them together when dry, I should end up with some weathered and used looking ballast. And as a bonus, I won't have to spend anything to do it!

Don't forget that the ballast will contain a large amount of 'fines' (soil from below the ballast, coupled with the product of the abrasion of ballast), so use fine ballast or even chinchilla dust. The load would also have odd bits of broken sleepers, bricks from disused lineside structures, concrete cable trough covers.

Don't pile the stuff too high in the wagon; the stuff is a lot denser than coal or new ballast.  That's why the former 16t minerals used for spoil, and the air-braked wagons that replaced them, had 'letterboxes' in the sides.

• Like 1