Class 73 old intercity

Hello everyone 

please excuse my English 

I has spent my time with research for southern class 73 intercity livery online of photos

in 1987 to 1992 by I was school then college in northern so I knew class 73 intercity was duties of engineer work and nuclear flask wagons and rare freight from Dover ferry

BUT class 73 intercity has haul scrap metals wagon and Railfreight ?

class 73 intercity has running to up north in 1987 to 1992

new class 73 network rail and new Diesel engine of class 73/9 Scotland by northern 2015 to now

thank you

• RMweb Gold

Besides initial delivery from EE in the 1960’s, the only class 73’s north of Birmingham until privatisation I can think of would be the Mersey rail 73/0’s.

A 73 in Birmingham was a hugely rare even in itself.

On the Midland and Eastern 73205 got around a bit with its rtc test train and ex-class 33 83301. This was Intercity livery.

I dont recall seeing 73’s at BR opendays up north, might have happened.

Edited by adb968008

Their diesel engine was only 600hp, so not very useful for main line running.

By comparison, a class 20 is 1000hp & an 08 is 350hp, but both were geared to run more slowly. 600hp, was only good for emergencies or running slowly between locations where 3rd rail was available.

This would make them pretty useless for running in areas where there is no 3rd rail, so why would they deliberately be used in areas without it?

Power may have been sufficient for very short trains like a Nuclear flask, but there would be few or no drivers with class & route knowledge to drive them up north.

The 73/9s are virtually a new build, with a far more powerful 1500/1600hp engine.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Bill Radford said:

73 208 Croydon 1883-1983 along with 33 050 Isle of Grain Coalville Open Day 5th June 1988. sorry about quality - digitised negative.

PICT0046.JPG

if you notice their it’s collector shoe bars have been removed, presumably for gauging for this specific journey. Whilst taking gauging precautions, they neglected one aspect...I wonder if it managed to return from the shire’s with its builders plates still attached when it got back to London ?

Edited by adb968008