Bulleid Tavern Car Buffet/Kitchen Car Colours

Shed Driver

I hope that this has not already been covered in a previous thread.

I am getting close to painting a Tavern Car set and after looking at various colour photos of models on the internet I have some questions about the colours used.

Blood and custard for one half is obvious.  What colour were the bricks?  Modelers have either used Brick Red or BR Crimson (blood)

I assume that the beams on the top half are Black but what colour is the back ground:  White or Coach Cream?

And finally what colour is the door?

Must stop overdoing the research.

Thanks

Norman

Based on memory, so dangerous I know given the length of time that has passed, the "tavern" end was basically the standard blood and custard colour scheme although the pale colour outlining the bricks made them appear lighter than the standard crimson - I don't know what the pale colour was but it may well have been the standard cream. The "timber" framing was black and the "wooden" door on one side brown up to 2/3 height of the side, cream above.

• Thanks 1

Mike King, in his Southern Coaches 'bible', says "... the new carriage-stock livery should be crimson lake and cream, so what better way of enhancing the external illusion than by painting on imitation English bond brickwork over the crimson, with fake half-timbered beams superimposed on the cream?" ....... he doesn't mention a colour for the 'planked' service door.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the information. 

I had thought that Crimson for the bricks and Cream for the upper mock Tudor part would have the most likely colours given that these would already have been in use in the paint shops. When you say brown for the door would that be like GWR brown or a lighter tan shade.  The only details I have are the Model railway constructor book on Bulleid coaches and a photo  on the Eastern Region near Chorley Wood in the Oakwood book on Bulleid's Steam Passenger Stock.  Any other references would be most useful.

Thanks

Norman Blackburn

On 26/04/2020 at 17:14, Shed Driver said:

When you say brown for the door would that be like GWR brown or a lighter tan shade.

Memory, for what it's worth for just a small patch in a long gone livery, suggests a milk chocolate shade, perhaps GWR carriage brown with a touch of white in it. I doubt whether you will find anyone who could tell you it is wrong and even if you find a colour photo (always just after you have painted the model, of course) there is no guarantee that the colour rendering is accurate.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks

English Bond with alternate Headers and Stretchers.  Most of the railway buildings that I have looked at to model do not use English bond but Common  or American bond with 3 rows of stretchers to each row of headers.

Norman

Edited by Shed Driver
Text correction