CXW's NER & H&BR (and Industrial) Workbench

CXW1

Excellent work indeed! The H&B certainly had some very good looking locos which don't get seen very often, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of your efforts!

Are you building from kits (if so, which ones?) Or are they scratchbuilt/kit bashed? 

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the great work!

Cheers

J

5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

Excellent work indeed! The H&B certainly had some very good looking locos which don't get seen very often, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of your efforts!

Are you building from kits (if so, which ones?) Or are they scratchbuilt/kit bashed? 

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the great work!

Cheers

J

Many thanks for your comments. Most of what I do is scratchbuilt. I only have basic tools (no lathe or rolling bars etc) so boilers tend to be from brass tube and castings are whatever is commercially available and therefore, in some cases, not 100% accurate but close enough for me.

I have built a few other H&BR locos and I will put some stuff on here when I get a chance, but if you look on page 1686 of the 'Wright Writes' thread there are some pictures of my J75, J80 and a few other things stretching their legs/wheels on a very famous train set. 

One day I will get round to building a layout that they can run on!!

Cheers

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Hi Mick

Thanks for the drawings and pictures. Do you know if all of the N12s had what I assume to be a tank filler in the bunker? It is difficult to tell from photographs which tend to show the bunkers full of coal. 

I have seen the picture of your N12 on here before (and possibly a nice Class A?). I'm pleased that you have responded to the topic given your knowledge of H&BR matters.

All the best,

Chris 

11 minutes ago, CXW1 said:

Thanks Mick. Looking at the GA and the above picture, I think I have the cab spectacles slightly too large and too far apart. Too late to do anything about it now though.....

Chris, also the story of my life, the info turns up two days after completing the model.

I also have numerous photo's and drawings of NERly engines. Mick.

More progress on the N12.....

I made a start on fiddly things like cab handrails and steps this evening. While the body was off, I took a picture of the frames/chassis to show the relatively simple set-up. It drives off a rigid rear axle with High Level hornblocks and a compensation beam on the middle and front axles - nothing groundbreaking. The trailing wheel is a simple pony truck with some light springing but I have tried to keep the frame cut-outs as small as possible to make sure there is very little visible daylight.

The gearbox is a High Level LoLoader with one of Chris’s new cheaper 1020 motors. It runs very well.

The majority of Hull and Barnsley locos had one-piece wrap-around cabs which can be tricky to make, especially the closed cabs on tank engines. I have found on H&BR tank locos that it is easier to make the cab sides and roof in three parts. This allows access to the cab for things like fitting the back-head and crew etc, and it also means that I don’t have to attempt cutting out by hand a complex single shape. The downside is that there will be a couple of visible joints on the top of the cab roof but this won’t be too noticeable after painting. 

I found a tall water filler in my spares box which has been added to the bunker as per the photos. The hole in the side of the boiler is for a clack valve. 

Cheers

Chris

N12 chassis.jpg

N12 (2).jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

An unintended visitor to my workbench this evening.

A couple of years ago I made a model of a J74 for no obvious reason. I understand that the prototypes never had the best reputation and were designed by the NER ‘Locomotive Committee’ from spare parts that were lying around after McDonnell got the push. The model followed a similar theme and was cobbled together from parts and off-cuts that I already had in my spares box and it didn’t cost much to make.

I lost interest in the build half-way through as my mind moved on to other things. In my rush to get the J74 completed I fell into the trap of thinking I had finished it only to find evidence a short while later which suggested otherwise. According to the Yeadon book two of the class (467 and 662) were never fitted with coal rails. My model has coal rails and is numbered 467. Oops. I didn’t fancy doing anything to the N12 this evening and thought that a quick job would be to re-number the J74 to one of the class members that had coal rails (the obvious candidate being 461).

Unfortunately, I ended up knocking it off my small test track onto my bench whilst trying to do two things at once. It only fell 3 inches but this knocked off some steps, bent a couple of buffers and chipped far more paint that you would expect from such a small accident. The front lamp flew off never to be seen again. Most of this evening was spent doing the repairs but I still haven’t got round to changing the wrong number which is what I set out to do.

The moral of the story is take your time to start with, don’t try and do two things at once, and always work from a photograph in the first place.

Photo below shows the J74 on the test track that I knocked it off. 

Hopefully better luck tomorrow when I change the number, fit a new lamp and apply some weathering to hide the now dodgy paint job. 

Cheers

Chris

InkedJ74_LI.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

15 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Chris, here are a couple of pictures of 461, and hopefully of some use. Mick.

J74 No461 Alexandra Dock c1923.jpg

J74_No461_Springhead._31_June__1931..jpg

Thanks for the pictures Mick. It looks like the smokebox door handles will need to be swapped for a wheel to turn 467 into 461. Possibly some tapered buffers instead of the parallel shanks as well, plus some globe lubricators on the side of the smoke box. Ah well, something to keep me busy.

Out of interest, do you know what the number '50' attached to the top lamp bracket was for? I have noticed a number of pictures of shunting locos in Hull which have a similar number. I have always assumed that it was a job number or route number for the day. Regards, Chris. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sej said:

Beautiful locos Chris, thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Simon

Simon, many thanks for your kind words. It was looking at your work (and that of many others who post their work on here) that inspired me to have a go in the first place. 

Cheers

Chris

Thanks very much Chris, and it's your thread here, plus invaluable help from people like Mick, that is moving my scratch-built H&BR H1 2-4-0 in 7mm to the top of the to-do list. I've bought some excellent castings from Laurie Griffin to help me on my way too!

Cheers

Simon

A more successful couple of hours tonight without any mishaps.

The J74 has turned into No. 64. I decided against No. 461 as this would have meant changing the buffers and the smokebox door handle to a wheel (which I don't have). The picture of 64 in the Yeadon book shows it with parallel buffers and twin handles on the smokebox door, so 64 was a better fit. 

The N12 is more or less done and the next time it appears on here it will hopefully be painted, but this won't be until I can get to Halfords for some black paint. The cab roof in the picture below is just plonked on for now and I will fill the secondary front splashers with Milliput and file them smooth. These smaller splashers serve no purpose on the model and are purely cosmetic as the coupling rods just fit under the footplate at their highest point. I'll fit the clack valves after painting. 

Cheers

Chris 

J74 64.jpg

N12 finished.jpg

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Chris, looking good. What's your next model to be? Mick.

Not sure Mick.

My dad built the body of a High Level Kits Armstrong Whitworth diesel shunter a while ago and gave me the task of building the chassis and making it go. This has been on my to-do pile for a few months so I really ought to crack on with it. 

I also have a J79 in bits that needs sorting out. I bought this off Connoisseur Models a number of years ago when Jim did a limited re-run of 4mm kits. This was my first attempt at a brass kit and I made a reasonable job of the body but a right hash of the chassis. I have always intended to scratch build a new chassis for this and it has also been in the to-do pile for some time. There isn't much room for a gearbox and motor so I will have to give this one some thought. 

I don't have any major loco building projects in mind at the moment. I should really start building a layout for the locos to run on but space is at a premium.