CXW's NER & H&BR (and Industrial) Workbench

CXW1

17 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

That is why I said "a teak brown"! I think there were many versions and modellers arguing about which one was "right" is quite funny.

I have some Halfords Rover Russett Brown in the garage, so there is a 99% chance that is what it will end up with. 

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Here is hopefully a better photograph, and the relevant text from Martin Barker's book.

6_HORSE_BOX.jpg

6_HORSE_BOX,_Text.jpg

Nice one Mick. That is an unusual arrangement. 4 blocks on one pair of wheels and one at the other end!

I wonder how that worked with V hangers etc. 

• Like 1

How big your engines are, observe Armand!  (With apologies to Molesworth).

I've now had chance to read your thread properly and have to say seriously what a lovely spread of unusual and interesting (if somewhat northern) locos, all superbly modelled - as we knew them to be having been privileged to preview a few of them on Buckingham last year.  They really do deserve a high-quality layout on which to strut their stuff.

The 2FS tar wagon was developed by the Antipodean members of the 2mmSA for their annual shindig 4 years ago (how many of us would do a 5,000+ mile round trip for an Area Group Meeting?)  Here is the one Chris made earlier:

1853686268_TarWagon(ChrisWaite).JPG.f9974a49d66017e50839a7e72c083321.JPG

And here it is posing with some of its friends, also made by Chris:

447407700_ChrisWaiteWagons.JPG.e60c3c9222b35bfbab61eae3b58b58e3.JPG

I would like to correct a couple of the assertions, though.  I do look forward to Chris making a start on the G6, but he didn't get the whole of my gloat box dumped on him: some has recently gone to another willing 2-miller, and there is plenty left for anyone else who wants to join in!  And the degree of coercion needed was not great: one of Lindsay's pasties for lunch was enough!  Seriously (again), I am very grateful indeed to Chris (and Tony) for his (their) interest in my own project and his (their) quality contributions to it.  Their wagons all run beautifully and currently comprise the principle pick-up freight because they shunt so reliably.

Laurie Adams

• Like 3

Laurie, thanks for posting the picture of the tar wagon. I was going to get in touch to ask you to send me a picture of it because I need to paint the second one and couldn't remember how I'd painted the first one or what number it was!!

Here is a picture of the latest progress on the 2mm J26 after we rolled the boiler at the pre-lockdown area group meeting. I have got an 8mm Nigel Lawton motor to go in the tender and once I am confident I can get something this small to stop and go in both directions I'll make a start on the LSWR G6. 

And in the time honoured tradition of showing how small everything is in 2mm Finescale, I have also posted a picture of the 2mm J26 and a bigger Dave Alexander J27 that I made some years ago. 

Cheers

Chris

J26 2mm.jpg

J26 & J27.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

I have more or less got the Hull and Barnsley horsebox finished. The brake gear and other underframe details were a bit of an educated guess as there are no photographs of what it looked like under LNER ownership. The view is that it would have been upgraded from the arrangement in the pre-grouping photograph that appeared earlier in the thread and I have tried to follow the general pattern of LNER 8-shoe clasp brakes with the parts that were available in the kit. 

The roof is just plonked on for now. I have very little knowledge and experience of building brass carriage-type kits, so if I've done anything that is blatantly wrong or if anything is in the wrong place, please tell me.

It looks like the weather will be OK tomorrow so hopefully I can give it a final clean-up and get outside and give it a coat of primer. My aim is to end up with it in an 'end of its useful life' condition like the D&S NER horsebox it is next to (rather than pristine teak).

Cheers

Chris

HBR horsebox.jpg

Horseboxes.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Chris, here's a picture of your crane tank.

Cranetank No. 590.jpg

Interesting that the loco coal wagon still retains its left-handed brake handle post-grouping. Did the Board of Trade set a date for their elimination, and/or were internal service vehicles exempt?

Nick, I have seen it in print that "Left Handed" brakes had to be off the main line by a certain year, though I can't renumber where I read it, or the exact year. The photo' I posted is probably c1930, the tender to left of picture is lettered LNER, and the running number now appears to be on the engine, this change first took place in 1928.

Edited by micknich2003

7 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Chris, here's a picture of your crane tank.

Cranetank No. 590.jpg

Thanks Mick. I've seen several pictures of No. 590 but not that one. Do you know where it was taken? 

I managed to finish the Hull and Barnsley horsebox this evening and I'm pleased with how it has turned out. SWMBO asked if there was a horse inside. I told her that there wasn't and that it would be pointless putting a horse inside because you wouldn't be able to see it. I was told that I should therefore add hinges to the side door so it can be opened and closed, which would allow people to see the horse. I don't think I'll bother attempting that modification.....

Horsebox 3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Chris, I have no idea, the picture is one that came my way, no other details.

I've just had a look at the relevant RCTS and Yeadon books - both suggest that 590 moved to York as shed pilot in 1924 and stayed there until its withdrawal in 1937. 

I found a spare hour or so to finish off the 2mm scale tar wagon this afternoon. Hopefully it won't be too long before it can find its way to Yeovil Town. Laurie will fit DG couplings to the model to ensure the coupling height is the same as his other rolling stock.

In the time-honoured tradition of 2mm-scale modelling, here is a picture of the finished model next to a coin :D.

Cheers

Chris

Tar wagon 3.jpg

Tar wagon 4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, CXW1 said:

I found a spare hour or so to finish off the 2mm scale tar wagon this afternoon. Hopefully it won't be too long before it can find its way to Yeovil Town. Laurie will fit DG couplings to the model to ensure the coupling height is the same as his other rolling stock.

In the time-honoured tradition of 2mm-scale modelling, here is a picture of the finished model next to a coin :D.

Cheers

Chris

Tar wagon 3.jpg

Tar wagon 4.jpg

That is a lovely realistic finish on that Chris. 

LNER J79 (ex NER Class H2)

I acquired a J79 from Connoisseur Models several years ago when they did a limited re-run of 4mm scale kits. This was my first attempt at an etched brass kit (having previously made some whitemetal kits). I made a reasonable job of the body, including rolling my first boiler, but the chassis did not turn out so well.  If I’m being honest I don't think it is the best looking prototype but it will go well with my J78 crane tank. They are very similar but the J79 has a cab and bunker at the back rather than a crane. 

The body has sat at the back of the workbench gathering dust for a while and some of the original castings have been ‘borrowed’ for other models over time and need replacing. It has finally made it to the top of the ‘to do’ list. I am going to make some basic improvements to the body, make a new chassis for it and hopefully it will work.

Here are some pictures showing progress to date. The pictures were taken over a couple of weeks - I’m not that quick.

The Chassis is shown during testing to make sure it is free-running and to get the compensation beam set at the correct height. The wheels in the picture are far too big and are just a set of old wheels that I'm using to get the chassis set-up correctly. The finished model will have smaller Alan Gibson wheels.

There isn’t much room for the motor and gearbox so I’m using a very flexible High Level LoLoader gearbox and a little 1015 motor and driving off the rear axle – it just fits.

The final picture is of the body sat on the correct size wheels from the original chassis which have been taken off the axles a few too many times and are now no good, but hopefully this gives an idea of what I’m aiming for. I’m not convinced about the safety valve and I will probably replace it.

Cheers

Chris

J79 rods 1.jpg

J79 hornblock jigs.jpg

J79 chassis set up.jpg

J79 drivetrain.jpg

J79 progress.jpg

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, micklner said:

Strange unless part of the number is missing in the photo ? Number 40 was the running number of a ex NER F8.

post-7186-0-48439700-1531765308.jpeg

Mick, the J79 was No. 407, so definitely some of the number missing. Larger side tanks were fitted to 407 for working on the Cawood branch. Nice F8 - is this the Falcon Brass kit that you 'enjoyed' making?

• Like 2

I did a little more to the J79 body this evening. I was initially unconvinced about the safety valve but on closer inspection I think that the 'trumpet' is more or less the correct shape - the problem was the shape and thickness of the lever (or whatever it's called) on the top. I have cleaned up the trumpet casting, made a new less obvious lever and moved the whole thing closer to the cab as per the picture of No. 1787. I think it looks a bit better now. Also made and fitted the front steps, front and rear sand boxes under the footplate, and some plumbing for the Westinghouse pump - the pump itself was in the cab (according to the RCTS green bible). 

J79.4.jpg

• Like 8

Like many people I always seem to have at least 10 things on the go at the same time. Another busy day working from home :no: has allowed me to get a few little jobs done.

I have painted the J79 chassis today but you don't really need to see that. 

For probably the past 12 months off and on I've been trying to renovate an old Ian Kirk carriage that I built/butchered about 30 years ago. It was originally painted BR maroon but it has been stripped and rebuilt, and I have attempted the dark art of LNER teak using some of the advice on this forum. It has turned out OK and to be honest it's just an old plastic carriage that I've used for a bit of practice. The photo probably makes it look more 'red' than it actually is. I finally got round to applying some transfers today and I think it is more or less finished apart from grab handles etc. Whether it will ever get any is debatable. 

Out of interest, is there anyone who can tell me what make the bogies are? They are made from whitemetal. Both sides have basic compensation on a centre pivot and are joined together by 2 springs at each end. They are as old as the carriage kit (i.e. 30 years). I can't remember where I got them from and I've never seen any like them since. They seem to work OK though. 

A couple of running repairs and some finishing off was needed on my J76 and Y8 locos. The J76 was scratchbuilt last year but I never got round to fitting the sand pipes - this was finally done today. The Y8 needed some weight adding to it and some fiddling with the pick-ups. The Y8 was my first attempt at a scratchbuild about 5 years ago. I told myself to start with something small and I don't think I could have picked anything smaller. The Y8 has always been very light due to its size - some extra lead added today has resulted in a small improvement but it will never have much adhesion. It will pull a few wagons which is probably all they ever did in reality. Both locos were based in Hull and will go with my Hull and Barnsley stuff if I ever get round to building a layout.  

Oh, and I've started a new Hull and Barnsley loco. They only had one class of 4-4-0 so no prizes for guessing what it is. The wheels in the picture are too small and are just what came to hand. 

Cheers

Chris

Y8 1.jpg

J76 3.jpg

Kirk 2.jpg

Kirk 1.jpg

D24 1.jpg

Edited by CXW1
Spelling
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1