Police 37 repaint

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi "collective"

I guess the silence on this means nobody has the balls or time or inclination to respray a police 37. oh well it was just an ask for a 14 year old autistic sons dad.  

Happy modelling and if any wants to PM thanks 

Robert  

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth keeping an eye on ebay.  There's one curr for sale at £150 which is ridiculous but 3 have sold in last couple of months for around £70+p/p which isn't much more than someone who does a good job at respraying would charge esp if you include postage to/from the painter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lima+police+37&_sacat=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Edited by Metr0Land

• RMweb Premium
On 14/05/2020 at 09:33, Metr0Land said:

Might be worth keeping an eye on ebay.  There's one curr for sale at £150 which is ridiculous but 3 have sold in last couple of months for around £70+p/p which isn't much more than someone who does a good job at respraying would charge esp if you include postage to/from the painter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lima+police+37&_sacat=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

It might not be cheap but having one repainted wouldn't cost much less. Probably more by the time you bought the loco and paid the postage to send it off to someone.

A few moments searching on here (for example in the Modifying and Detailing RTR thread) would find you at least one person who regularly posts images of his repaints and who you could enquire with.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 10:41, Robert Shrives said:

Hi "collective"

I guess the silence on this means nobody has the balls or time or inclination to respray a police 37. oh well it was just an ask for a 14 year old autistic sons dad.  

Robert  

I don’t think it’s a case of “ having the balls”, But if the transfers exist it would be fairly straight forward , if not a complete PITA.

Did he , or you, look to see if they are available ?

resprays are time consuming and thus expensive - you could try bens resprays on the “ painting and weathering “ section and see if he will do it .

• 3 weeks later...

A livery like that is easy to do (IMO) but I wouldnt know wher eto get the transfers from, Railtec might do them, but otherwise thats probably why youve had a lack of response, I did at one point think of doing the Police 47 for myself (Even if it may of been out of era slightly), but the transfers would probably be the main stumbling block

NL

On 13/05/2020 at 10:41, Robert Shrives said:

Hi "collective"

Robert  

Hi Robert. 

I think you've been quite rude to be honest. Like others have said, it's not about having the "Balls" but rather you put a vague post out and waited for people to come to you.

'If the mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain' 

There are people on here that do commisions etc, you just have to find them.... not he other way around.

It's not a hard livery to do. I did it the police 37 around a similar age, ,maybe a tad older than your son. It could be a nice project for you both to do together, seeing as though the paints you'll need are available at Halfords, and some good lining/painters tape. I carefully painted the "Police" on my 37. If I had the time, effort or inclination again, I'd use transfers.

Transfers wise there are Fox who do general lettering. I suggest looking on their site for the ones you need. 

Good Luck

"Mallard gets pulled for speeding"

20150212_225118.jpg

Edited by Possy92
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

A livery like that is easy to do (IMO) but I wouldnt know wher eto get the transfers from, Railtec might do them, but otherwise thats probably why youve had a lack of response, I did at one point think of doing the Police 47 for myself (Even if it may of been out of era slightly), but the transfers would probably be the main stumbling block

NL

A few people have asked me to do the 37 and 47 over the years. I started the design on 47829 shortly after photographing it in detail at Long Marston open day (whenever that was), though other things got in the way. I had yet another person ask again last week which prompted me to revisit the artwork that I'd started, the most challenging piece being the ornate badge on the 47, and was pleased to see I'd done most of the work - see attached WIP photo of the badge, below. If it looks big then that's because it is. In order to get all that ornate detail reproduced at such exquisite definition even in small scale then I typically work with files that are anything up to 64 times their original size.

spacer.png

So, what I can tell you is:

- The bits for 47829 won't be far off in all scales, capturing the correct unique style of typeface for its number, as well as the correct style of BTP badge for the loco (as it seems to vary slightly from the "official" badge, unless the BTP have more than one official variant).

- Naturally I took a tape measure to the loco markings on the day so everything will be bang on for size, in proportion and look right on the model.

FOR THE 37, it depends how the modeller wishes to tackle it.

Option 1: The modeller sprays the orange/yellow stripe, and I just provide the Police lettering. Super easy.

Option 2: The modeller wants to use a transfer for the orange/yellow stripe. Yes, I could make this although it's different to the 47.

Of course, all the above would be done on the monster kit which means it'd be spot printed (so no superfluous carrier film to cut around) - completely filmless in the case of the stripes, perfect print registration and full vibrant colours.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Possy92 said:

Hi Robert. 

I think you've been quite rude to be honest. Like others have said, it's not about having the "Balls" but rather you put a vague post out and waited for people to come to you.

'If the mountain will not come to Muhammad, then Muhammad must go to the mountain' 

There are people on here that do commisions etc, you just have to find them.... not he other way around.

It's not a hard livery to do. I did it the police 37 around a similar age, ,maybe a tad older than your son. It could be a nice project for you both to do together, seeing as though the paints you'll need are available at Halfords, and some good lining/painters tape. I carefully painted the "Police" on my 37. If I had the time, effort or inclination again, I'd use transfers.

Transfers wise there are Fox who do general lettering. I suggest looking on their site for the ones you need. 

Good Luck

"Mallard gets pulled for speeding"

20150212_225118.jpg

Hi 

Apologies if it seemed rude - sorry but it had the desired effect and my friend with is struggling young boy will be happy soon as a lot then came on board and as Steve at Railtec has said more in the pipeline, so the sorry if I upset you and - that is a good work done there on yours but it should have a happy ending.

My main work is in  N and 3mm so have plenty to keep me busyplus work as a key worker and I had wanted to get Noah a loco that help and knowing the skill base on here I am very happy we are all helping to get it to him 

Stay safe and well.

Robert 

Robert     

• Like 1

If I had the resources I'd happily take this job, it is an easy livery to do, one ive never done myself, but easy enough to do. @railtec-models, by the looks of it the "Police Badge" on 47829 has a white outline around it, would that be printed onto the transfer? although Im guessing you could also carefully spray the parts around the star part

NL

• RMweb Premium

I have one of the Lima Police 37s, it runs well now that I’ve put a Vitrains chassis under it.  Still looks wrong though, I hadn’t thought of respraying a Bachman one. Should be straightforward to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

If I had the resources I'd happily take this job, it is an easy livery to do, one ive never done myself, but easy enough to do. @railtec-models, by the looks of it the "Police Badge" on 47829 has a white outline around it, would that be printed onto the transfer? although Im guessing you could also carefully spray the parts around the star part

NL

None of that would be necessary, assuming that the modeller isn't spraying the stripe (which would be tricky given the slim band either side). All you would need is to spray the bodyside white. Yes the police badge has an outline around it but that's simply the existing white bodyside showing through. All I'd do is supply the police badge (possibly separately, haven't decided yet) and the yellow/orange stripe with the appropriate "cut out" either side of the badge, and it should be job done.

• RMweb Gold

I would need stripe and police transfers, my spraying skills certainly wouldn't be up to doing the stripe !

Interesting little project for the winter though so would also be interested in a set :good_mini:

• Like 1

@ColinK, @NickL2008 & others: the pack for 47829 is now available. In order to hopefully cover all bases, the lining is covered in a separate pack for those who don't wish to spray it.

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=47829

What sets Railtec apart? See for yourself: https://www.railtec-models.com/railtec-benefits.php

Of course these packs:

- Are spot printed so there's no superfluous carrier film to cut around;

- Are manufactured on industrial grade technology to achieve truly outstanding crisp print with full vibrant colours;

- Have perfect print registration with no join lines in the print;

- Withstand regular handling

Specifically in the case of this loco:

- The correct unique typeface has been reproduced by tracing the original

- The detail on the correct variant of the badge is exquisitely rendered

- Includes the correct size badge and correct size Police branding

- The pack includes explosive warning labels, OHL flashes and correct data panel for 47829

- Includes a spare of everything.

spacer.png

The 37 will be hot on its heels, again taking advantage of the benefits listed above.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1