Tower Collecton Black Five.

Black5

I`ve had this kit for a number of years and it`s been a bit of a stop start attempt at building it. Because I concentrated on my 4mm layout it got left in it`s box.

But recently as a break from 4mm,

I`ve resumed having a go at the Black Five. The tender is mostly built apart from one or two parts that will go on later.

I want to start on the loco chassis and I would like to fit sprung horn blocks but having never done it before I wondered if anyone knows of any articles written on the subject or is it a case of learning as you go along?

I haven`t touched the chassis etching yet so no measuring of axle diameters etc have been done yet. I believe Slaters do 7mm sprung horn blocks and I thought of using a set if measurements match up unless anyone knows of another make that might suit better.

Many thanks,

Jim.

IMG_7390s.jpg

IMG_7391s.jpg

IMG_7392s.jpg

• Like 2

Many thanks gents for your suggestions.

Simond, I had a look at your thread on the Duchess, in particular the fitting of horn blocks. Very interesting to see. Almost going into model engineering rather than kit building. I don`t have the machining capability you have but I think I`ll invest in a set of Slaters hornblocks and see where I can go from there. The work side of it doesn`t worry me, I like the challenge, It`s getting it right was the bit I was concerned about. So far,from building the tender, the kit seems to go together well.

Brossard, I`m not a member of  the GOG, just an ordinary modeller having a go at a bigger kit for a challenge. No doubt I shall hit a brick wall now and again!

Hal, I`ll try and find the threads you spoke of.

Best wishes ,

Jim.

WM183, Thank you for your comments but there are far better soldered models on here than i`ve managed! It`s always a challenge to try and make a clean job of it. Most of the tender has been soldered,  but a few white metal fittings where glued in where it was difficult getting the iron in.

I haven`t started on the chassis yet, Just waiting for some sprung hornblocks to arrive before tackling that.

Best wishes,

Jim.