I was fascinated by an article in the May 2020 Model Rail Magazine (No.273). It showed Peter Marriot building a model of Locomotion to display a couple of OO models based on the NRM's locomotive collection. The layout was 81cm by 40cm (about 2ft 6in by 15in) and had 10 tracks. 7 for the museum itself, one for the Locomotion running line and two for a representation of the Bishop Auckland branch.  For the Museum's front, he had used a photograph printed on A2 paper and removed the sky and foreground.  It was only a display layout but it still looked fantastic.

This sounds similar to one of Carl Arendts micro layouits, which he featured.  I think it was called Finnigan, and was from the Dutch railway museum in Utrecht.

The idea was a turntable, the models of historic prototypes would come out of the shed, onto the turntable, be turned slowly and return to the shed, or off on a running line. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Pic on Locomotionmodels' website.

2709.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

He did mention the NRM at York. The museum has two tracks in the car park but only one leads into the museum itself. He did Locomotion because it has more tracks. 

And that gave me an idea...

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

Posted (edited)

NRM York Loco entrance.pdf

Here's the car park entrance. I used Google Maps to take a couple of birds-eye view pictures to help with the plan. upon looking again, i think the other track also goes in but i'm not too sure.

850346616_NRMcarpark.jpg.f04d8486fe9b0eebc0ef9a0f4748caa5.jpg

And here's a ground level view of the same part. This was the only ground level view i could find. I would have preferred if it was a bit closer and flatter so i have used it as a back-scene. 

On 18/05/2020 at 15:12, GlenPudzeoch said:

This sounds similar to one of Carl Arendts micro layouits, which he featured.  I think it was called Finnigan, and was from the Dutch railway museum in Utrecht.

The idea was a turntable, the models of historic prototypes would come out of the shed, onto the turntable, be turned slowly and return to the shed, or off on a running line. 

I'll have a look at that. It might help me with drawing up the plans for doing the Great Hall once i'm finished with this one. (Although it might take a while...)

I've looked at it and it is actually a pretty clever design. When not in use, it folds up, as you can see from the hinges. It's inspired by the turntable at The Railway Museum in Utrecht, Het Spoorwegmuseum.

image.png.8428b496ddf7877d6569889cea437a26.png

Here's another picture of the layout with some steam locomotives on...

image.png.2f4e192f78a50ac1a6e9a20e13579f45.png

And here's a picture of the turntable at the museum. 

image.png.6a85905cf66266f552f54bd0f1ac2f11.png

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a video of the turntable in action but i did find several clips of the museum.

The full history of the layout can be seen on this page

https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/layouts-boxes/

Anyway, moving swiftly on...

I have not been to locomotion, but I recall my first visit to NRM, and the NER signal and water column, the high level coal drops and chauldron wagons.  Given the number of pre grouping locos available, the plan on Carl Arendt's site (many thanks for attaching that) would be a great way to display the colour of ones preferred pre-grouping locos, with a wagon or two and some signals/other associated items.  This could be expanded with kits as the modeller becomes more adventurous.  An ideal plan for lockdown!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 15/06/2020 at 13:40, GlenPudzeoch said:

I have not been to locomotion, but I recall my first visit to NRM.

I have not been to Locomotion yet but I have been to the NRM (several times) but I haven't been back there in quite a while. I was planning on going this year...

Recently I've acquired two flat bits of cardboard, which came in the packaging for a wardrobe from ikea. I'm currently using them to build another layout:

But I've had some done some rethinking. What if I used them for this one? I'll think about it...

James

I've re-looked at the Google Maps plan. Getting the track right is going to be a bit hard. I'm still trying things out. But I don't have much space...

James

Posted (edited)

I've noticed there's a signal outside the museum. I have some Ratio NER semaphore signals that need making. One of them is like this.

IMG_2178-300x225.jpg.9f1366b88a60d048ead24ecc532008f2.jpg

Also I've noticed the crash barrier beside the powercar and it stops just after the signal. 

Posted (edited)

Peppercorn A1 4-6-2 60163 Tornado and her two support coaches outside the museum. This photo should help me with dealing with that curve. I might have to use some flexi-track for that...

5747211962_4b4d2f7275_b.jpg.5cad9831f71b247792ff8f3ccf6f5ee0.jpg

Another look at Tornado at a different angle.

5719726398_bcfe9fc87a.jpg.5b3ca5a216a2f3d4e96fcd6d9ece4dca.jpg

• Like 2