Inspired by Beromunster

MOB 2002

I’m a long term loiterer here, but first time contributer. Like many people I suspect, I’ve been tipped over the edge to pick up modelling again after around 20 years due to spending a lot more time than normal in the house right now.

My first intention was to go for HOm and I got as far as the detailed design work on a layout inspired by Montbovon on the Montreux Oberland Bernois Railway. But when the scale of the lockdown situation became apparent I had to take a long hard look at what I had to hand as well as what could be obtained speedily in this country. What I didn’t want to do was go for the expected multilevel, mountainous tail chasing Swiss layout though.

I stumbled across the answer in a photo of the now-closed Beromunster station and branch, followed by discovering more of the Seetal line it joined. Spotting an N scale Kato De4/4 made my mind up. 

So, at present I’m trying to use my long-untried modelling skills to recreate something of the feel of a standard gauge SBB backwater during the early 1980s to early 1990s.

The less said about the parentage of the board the better, but it was available and relatively solid. Tracklaying and wiring was kept painfully simple with traditional DC control and live frog points. Point control will be wire in tube in due course (the board is drilled to suit).

I took far too long mucking about with ballast but I’m nearly happy with the results now. I’ve just started landscaping, but again sticking with use of what I’ve got to hand during lockdown, I’m making much use of card. 

So, I’m looking forward to discussing progress and I’m hoping that the far more experienced modellers here will have no fear in giving lots of creative criticism.

Pictured are an early test laying of the track ... It’s Peco code 80 because I wanted to make it possible to use an ancient Minitrix Ae6/6 and Re4/4 I have. I may live to regret that. A cruel close up of the ballasting attempt. And a hint of what I’m hoping for with a Piko Ae3/6 in the foreground as the Kato De4/4 and light steel carriage climb away in the distance while countouring work is still underway in between.

E676FD0F-A1B7-42E3-A9D2-CB755C738970.jpeg

AEF64D40-D02F-48E9-A81D-111906DBCC93.jpeg

68130D65-D6A1-4C72-A6BC-72BB7474C9C3.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Nice of you to share with us and I think your ballasting is looking good! Once the sides of the rail is weathered down with some matt rust, the higher profile will be much less obvious.  Are you planning a fiddle yard / traverser / cassettes at the back? 

This is not an area I know so I looked it up. Nice picture collage and I can see you have done a sort of mirror of the trackplan, looks good and interesting operational options.  http://www.furep.ch/FUREP/index.php/archiv?AG_MK=0&AG_form_paginInitPages_0=1&AG_form_albumInitFolders_0=archiv/Bahnhof in Beromünster&AG_MK=0 .

I just find modelling such a great way to become absorbed in a subject and very therapeutic in such troubled times, look forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I visited Beromunster a couple of times when the line from Beinwil was still open, but as yet haven't put my photos on flickr.

You might find Ernie Brack's (Irishswissernie) photos on flickr of interest, he has a big album on parts of the Seetalbahn, including the branch to Beromunster.

They are at:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157708473506815

I look forward to seeing progress on your layout.

David

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. 

I am indeed planning cassette storage, although at the moment I’ve made an oversized cassette with simple run round loop to get things going with a minimum of material. That can be swapped out for standard cassettes in due course, but thankfully prototypical trains are short. 

Even though I’ve been visiting Switzerland since 1992, and have been to Luzern a few times, I’m ashamed to say that I wasn’t familiar with the Seetal line until very recently either. I’ve mainly been interested in the narrow gauge scene, although I never totally ignored standard gauge. The Ae4/7 fascinated me as a child for example (photo of a very early photo taken in Chur below).

I hadn’t considered Ernie Brack’s collection... even though I’ve seen his industrial stuff (giving away my other interests). I’ll be having a good look now.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make some more progress tomorrow night.

04A2F7E6-0623-49C9-BA29-91DEAEDAE120.jpeg

• Like 2

The silence for a few days doesn’t mean I’ve been idle all the time ... although most of It hasn’t been overly exciting. All of the land form is now in place and sealed with a coat of grey/brownish paint. About half of the many retaining walls needed are now there in basic form. Some of them have even had their first coat of ‘concrete’ paint.

The first small area of trial landscaping has been done; I’m fairly happy with the muted, late summer colour. I’ve also done a small test patch of rail side ‘rust’, courtesy of a Rail Match pot just like almost everyone else I’m sure. A quick trial photo (attached) proves the shade isn’t too overpowering, despite my fears.

I’ve also made a small variation to Plan A. This pic from Ernie Brack’s collection on Flickr changed my mind somewhat about station building plans: 

651 Reinach 6aug97 img500

The additional Kiosk and office at Reinach lend themselves to being a focal point towards the front of the baseboard. I’m going to cheat at first and make only some minor changes to the Faller Hochdorf station kit to achieve that rough look and we’ll see how the additions go. Obviously I’ll have to paint and weather it (a lot) but it’ll give me something to scale everything else from. I’ve got to admit all of my previous scratch building has been in 4mm scale so I’ve got a steep learning curve even once I’ve knocked my rustiness off. 

Now to carry on at least trying to find ways to resist rushing to acquire an all over green Piko Rbe4/4 and steurerwagen. 

Mark

F18CB33A-9668-4880-889D-BD9967B8AF56.jpeg

• Like 4

With ballasting now essentially complete, and a few other jobs tackled, I’ve moved onto the station area.

The lesser used ‘platform’ below rail height is ready for a serious spot of weathering in due course. A good chunk of the main platform likewise, so I’ve introduced the part finished station building to confirm my measurements.

Next job is to trim the main platform surface to suit so I can sink the station building in rather than being simply plonked on top. Then I can turn the paper template seen below into an actual platform and fill in the 4ft of the road the De4/4 is seen on here ... oh and finish the building.

Mark

F91CF179-B3CA-44EF-A0FF-4AECA29F8C06.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully a fairly full weekend of modelling awaits. During the week I’ve managed to knock up a couple more Faller kits, even if I’ve only managed to paint one so far.

I’m not sure why, but I expected to be unsatisfied with the plastic kits and viewed them as a bit of a stop gap, but I’m not too upset with the one I’ve got painted and I can see at least some promise in the others.

Anyway, thought I’d share a couple of quick pics of progress so far (hope the pano works on here). If nothing else because I couldn’t resist taking some photos with a very nice Roco Be4/6 that’s just joined the roster. As far as I know it’s not prototypical sadly, and a little out of my planned era too, but it’s a cracking model.

Hoping the scene will be looking a little different by this time on Sunday.

Mark

28D0E9B2-D03F-43F7-88BE-F7544F7E1594.jpeg

B6938C19-AB6D-46DD-B48A-19DE1EE5AD75.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I’ve always liked the look of stations where track 1 is embedded in the low platform, and having the station on a curve is a great feature. Looking forward to seeing what you've done over the weekend. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Life away from modelling has been pretty manic of late, so I’ve only managed to slowly plug away at odds and ends. 

I have managed to grow the stock list a little though, so last night I gave everything a test run. Thought I’d do a little video while I was at it.

I’m currently working on the little fill in job of the footbridge you can see an abutment for in the centre of shot before I pour the water for the stream.

I’m also in deep internal debate as to whether I scratch build the structures to go opposite the station or resort to plastic kits. I’m struggling to find a prototype that I’m really happy with for the obligatory shop and bar/restaurant opposite the station. The engine shed away to the left of view will have to be scratch built, so I guess that might be the decider.

Mark

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Somehow it’s nearly three months since I posted on the layout that is still nameless.

Unfortunately that’s because progress slowed somewhat as work and other things went up a gear. It’s also because I did manage a little trip to Switzerland before travel restrictions made it impossible though, so I mustn’t grumble too much (how can anyone grumble when it involved the always impressive Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke).

What little time I’ve had has been focussed on the backlog of buildings. They’ve been concentrated on two areas; the left foreground by the still to be sorted loading dock at the station, and the rear of the layout. I’m itching to get them done so I can landscape around them and lose more of the bare base.

On the left I’m trying to give an impression that the station is on the edge of town, so the buildings are deliberately becoming bigger and a little more modern. At the back I’m trying to create the look of a railway squeezed in between road and homes, like many stretches of the Seetalbahn. Whether I’m starting to get that look or not is probably for others to decide.

Meanwhile the hunt for appropriate rolling stock continues; one recent success was another Arnold Leichtstahlwagen at last, which should arrive any time now.

Mark

34EE8A08-C443-4120-864B-357A6FB0FFEB.jpeg

630908CA-A1AC-4E44-A295-000481231A46.jpeg

F7DB83B0-D441-4E17-9F8C-16EFB973B8E5.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

At the back I’m trying to create the look of a railway squeezed in between road and homes, like many stretches of the Seetalbahn. Whether I’m starting to get that look or not is probably for others to decide

I would vote YES for getting the look and feel. An excellent interpretation in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Really like the feel of this layout. Its an unusual design that I would never have thought of using, but it seem to work.

At a tangent, I've been looking at pantographs for an S scale three phase railcar. My original thought was to use TT ones (They have two small ones side by side), but I'm worried they might be too big. Could I ask a favour, how wide are the base and head of the N scale ones?

19 minutes ago, Talltim said:

At a tangent, I've been looking at pantographs for an S scale three phase railcar. My original thought was to use TT ones (They have two small ones side by side), but I'm worried they might be too big. Could I ask a favour, how wide are the base and head of the N scale ones?

The pantographs on my stock vary wildly ... the contact ranges from about 8mm wide on the Piko Ae3/6 to around 16mm on the Hobbytrain Re4/4 and De4/4.

I’m guessing most are actually from the same source though, Somerfeldt? When I get further on with the layout I’m planning some pantograph swaps to replace some of those that look less to scale if possible.

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m one of those lucky people who are still waiting to find out the fine detail of what our new local coronavirus restrictions will entail. On the plus side, it’s given me an excuse to get back to the layout.

Started on an awkward corner tonight, needs a lot of detail still (appropriately) and my internal turmoil about how to tackle the overheads certainly hasn’t been helped!

Mark

3F987DFA-930F-4C97-830D-21D7E1D28CE3.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, MOB 2002 said:

Perhaps I’ve been working on the layout too long tonight ... but, 1:160 cow pats, any ideas?

Mark

Never mind the cow pats, I'm impressed with the cow bells in 1:160! It drove me cross-eyed adding the bells in S scale.

• Like 1

Not sure I can take any credit for the cow bell, but I was impressed. The cows are Noch and quite good given their tiny size. 

I’ve been really surprised by how nice some of the scenic items available in N are these days. Special mention has to go to road vehicles from Lemke miNis, which look insanely good for their size.

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really need to improve my frequency of posts ... and modelling.

Bizarrely, I left things at the tricky subject of cow pats. After some experimentation I’ve opted for a bit of a combination of some of the suggestions above plus some other thinking. In the end I went with a mix of PVA glue and watercolour paint applied with a cotton wool bud. 

Not 100 per cent sure I’ve got my scaling right yet, but I’m going to leave it alone and maybe come back later if it doesn’t grow on me.

I’ve also slowly been plugging away at buildings. I’m nearly finished a Faller butchers/bakers (233336). I’ve got to say, so far it’s been a cut above the others and the interior detailing makes a huge difference. I know Faller include those ‘paper masks’ but I’ve omitted all of those in the other buildings with the aim of coming back to detail interiors later.

Which brings me to overhead wires. I’ve spent some time working out what I think are appropriate distances for masts and spans on various parts of the layout so I’m about to bite the bullet. But I’m still not 100 per cent decided on whether to go with Sommerfeldt catenary and have overscale wired, or to go with N-train parts from DM Toys and omit the wires.

I’d really appreciate any experience or expertise that anyone has on the matter. Overheads are such an important part of a Swiss layout so I don’t want to get it wrong!

Mark

B44F2643-3458-428B-B081-BCFB053D4E6A.jpeg

4642C94D-66BB-4F87-B7DB-BA966EF009FC.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Love the way its going, for my money, albeit HOm rather than N, I put overhead wires up as it's an exhibition layout and you need them for the public. They are a proper PITA in many ways, track access for cleaning / maintaining, always in the way when you lean across for anything and heaven help you if anything ever derails.

If I were doing this again for my own pleasure, I would go with the correct masts / spans and forget the wires.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think all modelling is to some extent about choosing where to accept compromise or not. Couplings is a classic example, and more recent ones might include whether or not to have train sound, scenic lighting or moving road traffic. 

I like watching the trains go by and I don’t always look too closely at the detail, it’s more the overall impression that pleases me, although if something grates on my eye then I’ll fix it. My Swiss layout in N is set up so that most of the time your point of view is as if you’re looking at the real thing from somewhere up on the hillside. I’m including some photos from my Gotthard trip in 2016 to illustrate three viewpoints at different distances. I noticed when I visited Switzerland that you couldn’t really see the wires from that sort of a viewpoint, so I decided to leave them out on the model and just install masts and spans. For me, having the pantograph down hardly registers and it’s less of a compromise than having oversize wires, not to mention the practical issues that Jim has listed.

if a model has a different perspective, maybe street level, or if it’s in a larger scale, then the modeller will have a different set of factors to consider. I do like a nicely wired layout. 

8D8DFC67-5395-4F2C-A150-39855E2092F6.jpeg.e599c2f3bf5c00fe6be3ba0cec3fbf72.jpeg

1EB53F65-E65F-44D2-A9C6-8756499D1E11.jpeg.dccc5966b9b65c3fd7453d90121be61f.jpeg

D572EE0A-87D9-49FB-8FEB-3E1234500BD5.jpeg.4fd268d7645e3ec1af05c4d59035de44.jpeg

• Like 5