Rails and international postage

GWR-fan

On April 16th,  I received an email that my latest purchase from the store, a Bachmann HST Barrier coach twin pack,  had been dispatched.   It arrived this afternoon.  Given the current situation with international shipping and reduced flights,m  I was very surprised that it has taken less than two weeks to arrive downunder.  The method of packing has me thinking that perhaps there are new rules regarding the way items are packaged now.  The items were shipped in the typical cardboard box one expects from the store however, the typical shredded paper was replaced with inflated plastic packing.  Also different was that the cardboard box was overlaid with a strong black plastic covering.  I am curious if this is the way to expect future shipments or if new shipping rules are in place as the virus has a shorter lifespan on plastic when compared to cardboard.

On 28/04/2020 at 07:49, GWR-fan said:

On April 16th,  I received an email that my latest purchase from the store, a Bachmann HST Barrier coach twin pack,  had been dispatched.   It arrived this afternoon.  Given the current situation with international shipping and reduced flights,m  I was very surprised that it has taken less than two weeks to arrive downunder.  The method of packing has me thinking that perhaps there are new rules regarding the way items are packaged now.  The items were shipped in the typical cardboard box one expects from the store however, the typical shredded paper was replaced with inflated plastic packing.  Also different was that the cardboard box was overlaid with a strong black plastic covering.  I am curious if this is the way to expect future shipments or if new shipping rules are in place as the virus has a shorter lifespan on plastic when compared to cardboard.

No changes being applied by either Royal Mail or Parcel Force, as far as we are aware. Some items sent to us, either use Bubble-wrap, scrunched up brown paper, corrugated cardboard rolls or those plastic quaver-like chips. But can be a mix of these too.

On 28/04/2020 at 02:49, GWR-fan said:

I am curious if this is the way to expect future shipments or if new shipping rules are in place as the virus has a shorter lifespan on plastic when compared to cardboard.

Covid lasts substantially longer on plastic than on cupboard in an experiment by the NIAID (US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

Guesswork, but packing materials inside the box may reflect what is easily available during a period of high demand (most western parcel services seem to be indicating Christmas or higher level of demand), perhaps with an exterior designed to allow for the fact that parcels are being left on doorsteps to eliminate human contact.

Thankyou,

I have previously received numerous packages from the store and all were basically the same materials.  During this current period the packing materials are definitely altered and as stated perhaps now designed to be left in an exposed position to avoid contact.  I am awaiting further parcels so interested to see if the current packaging design is retained.

Perhaps the change makes it easier to disinfect the outside of the parcel both before dispatch and after delivery and even during transit.

The contents should be Ok by the time they get to the other side of the world, the outside less so.

Andy

Edited by SM42