Digikeijs DR5000 & DCC concepts ADS- decoders

nigeltaylor

This is for information and any comments.

I have used a Digikeijs DR5000 controller for several years to power my Layout.  Originally the layout consisted of a laptop running the DR5000 powering four DCC Concepts ADS-8sx decoders operating Peco solenoid point motors.  Performance was faultless.  The DR5000 powering up successfully every time.  Very 'short circuit' tolerant.  The DCC decoders efficiently operating frog switching.

Moving back to the UK some of my kit including the decoders was unavoidably discarded. 

I have built a new layout and, with difficulty, obtained 10 new ADS-2sx decoders.  Now on power up the DR5000 trips on a short circuit.  Thorough testing reveals no short.  If the DR5000 is rapidly reset seven or eight times at power up it remains connected and functions perfectly.  If a real short occurs it will reset first time if done promptly otherwise repeated resets are again needed.  I have tried another DR5000 with the same result. 

Clearly DCC Concepts have changed the spec, I guess of the capacitors, in their new offering causing this problem.  I could install switches at each decoder and crawl about under the table switching them on one at a time after power up but this is not really a fix.  So disappointed with DCC Concepts after terrible delivery problems and now this issue with what was previously a reliable and very functional product.

Have you tried putting the ADS-2sx modules on a separate bus and switching that on after the output of the DR5000 has stabilised. If that works Tam Valley Depot do a soft start module which you can put between the layout and the DR5000 which will have the same effect. 

I had this problem with a NCE PowerCab where the inrush from all the sound locos and servo decoders was causing the PowerCab to trip at startup, inserting the soft start module cured the problem.

• Like 1

I had the same issue when powering up using Railmaster via an Elite. It is because the ADS decoders take quite a bit of power to charge up their CDUs. I wanted to retain my ADS decoders so just added switches new my control point enabling me to turn the decoders on in ranks after power up without crawling about under the baseboard. You do not need a switch for each decoder. 1 per each 5 ADS2Xs.  Problem solved!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had similar issues when I first installed the DR5000.  MY u shaped layout has an A side and a B side.  A side used the DCC concepts Decoders with solenoids and frog juicers.  The B side was mainly DCC concepts IP digital servos with one pair of solenoids.

Also with 30 plus sound locos I was getting a rush at the start and a short even though there was no short circuit.

After speaking with James at DCC Automation I separated the track from the accessories with the DR5000 towering the accessory bus and the track bus powered by a 5033 booster.

Since doing that the system is rock solid starts first time with no shorts.  The booster is set to restart without shutting off the whole system.

Regards

Doug

• RMweb Gold

I have 3 x ADS8SX's running off a z21 controller. Each time i turned it on i would get the same short out issue. I done as above and have a seperate on/off switch for 2 of them so i can power them up seperately. Works fine now. Thanks. Ian

Edited by ianLMS

More tests show that the ADS decoders (8 total) are pulling just on 4 amps for a second or two after initial power up falling rapidly to virtually zero.  I did not want to start more physical work with wiring and switches to solve an issue that should be fixable in allegedly quality software/product.

So pressing on today I found the fix for this.  It works fine and is easy.  In the DR5000 software. Click on 'settings'.  Then click on 'Turnouts'

You will see that there is an 'on time' setting.  The factory default is 2500ms.  Simply reduce this to around 200ms.  Save and close. Job done with no additional wiring work.

The layout is using 8 ADS_2sx decoders operating 16 turnouts and 1 AD8-sx decoder operating another 8 Cobalt motors.

All are operating perfectly and the DR5000 sets/resets with a single click.

Amazing that Digikeijs or Hattons couldn't tell me this.  

• Like 1

I was talking rubbish in the above.  It works only if the reset is made within a few seconds.  However I have found that the DR5000 will reliably power up with three ADS2-SX decoders connected.  As I use nine of these i have wired six through two conveniently placed switches.  So now power up, wait a moment, close switch one, wait a moment, close switch 2.  Not ideal but works every time.

• RMweb Gold

James from DCC Automation supplied me with an electronic board that slowed the current draw of these decoders, I just installed it in front of the 2 8's and the draw was slowed.

Doug

• 2 months later...

Hello. To solve the problem of multiple DC Concepts and DAC-20 decoders' current draw at start-up, I use a combination of Gaugemaster DCC81 (points decoder) and GM500D (DPDT relay) in the power bus feeds to groups of decoders. The relay provides the local (electronic remote controlled) switch. This way I can successively power up layout without tripping my NCE protection device. Of course, you need to successively power-down at the end of each session!

This approach has worked very well on my 00 gauge garden railway.  As you will appreciate, I cannot use toggle switches and all electronic components are grouped in varying sizes of IP66 connection boxes . Best wishes