Long distance trains: engine changes

JeffP

On 09/05/2020 at 12:31, brushman47544 said:

No Class 50s went to the InterCity sector, so in theory at sectorisation their use on IC cross country trains should have ceased

If the 50s went to the Intercity sector, then why would that have stopped them working some Intercity services?

I know that South Coast to the North East trains via the Great Central used to see GWR Halls as far as Leicester and sometimes Nottingham but does anyone know of Castles using this route please?  I'm modelling the GC in Northamptonshire and have an old Hornby Castle purchased in 1961 which I would like to use for nostalgic reasons but cannot find any photos of them on this route!

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ken.W said:

If the 50s went to the Intercity sector, then why would that have stopped them working some Intercity services?

Is there a typo? Assuming you mean why not, don’t forget sectorisation also covered drivers’s depots. Drivers who worked for intercity would have only driven sector allocated locos, i.e. Class 47s for diesel locos, so would have lost traction knowledge of Class 50s after a period. So to use a Class 50 a traction trained driver would need to have been hired in, at a cost to the intercity sector.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, southwellpeter said:

I know that South Coast to the North East trains via the Great Central used to see GWR Halls as far as Leicester and sometimes Nottingham but does anyone know of Castles using this route please?  I'm modelling the GC in Northamptonshire and have an old Hornby Castle purchased in 1961 which I would like to use for nostalgic reasons but cannot find any photos of them on this route!

'Castles', 'Halls' , and 'Granges' plus moguls were officially cleared throughout to Sheffield over the GC subject to a few clearance restrictions'  'Manors' were subject to some additional restrictions. 'Counties' were only permitted as far as Leicester.

So in theory a 'Castle' could work through to Leicester or Nottingham with no problems but whether they did is a very different question although the fact they were permitted suggests it might well have happened at least once.

• Like 2

On 12/05/2020 at 09:20, southwellpeter said:

Here's a Facebook post about the (in)famous visit of a Grange to Huddersfield - but look at the last paragraph! You can use your Castle.

https://www.facebook.com/DidcotRailwayCentre/photos/50-years-ago-today-on-15-august-1964-no-6858-woolston-grange-worked-the-0855-bou/942553452438210/

Edited by pH
Would help if I included the link, wouldn't it?
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, pH said:

Here's a Facebook post about the (in)famous visit of a Grange to Huddersfield - but look at the last paragraph! You can use your Castle.

https://www.facebook.com/DidcotRailwayCentre/photos/50-years-ago-today-on-15-august-1964-no-6858-woolston-grange-worked-the-0855-bou/942553452438210/

Saw it hidden at the back of Huddersfield shed while on a RailRover

• Like 2