Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Thanks for that link Jay. As it is designed to take the Electrotren chassis, how does the body compare to scale? The loco is 27ft 10in over buffers, which should scale down to about 111mm. Be interesting to see if it takes a Branchlines chassis.

The listing in Ebay states the Electrotren chassis can be used but the wheel spacing on that looks off compared to the prototype. Hornby’s B2 060 looks about right though.
The body isn’t to hand right now but I will be able to measure it up tomorrow and post back.

I still need to contact Branchlines about a chassis!

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Thanks 1

Wheelbase of the real thing is 5ft 8in + 5ft 8in or about 45.3mm in 4mm scale. The Electrotren chassis is a shade under 45mm (so not too far off) but not equally divided while the B2 is 40mm. Both have double slidebars. The wheels are smaller than desirable as well, 14.5mm against a scale 4ft 4in or 17mm.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Thanks for that link Jay. As it is designed to take the Electrotren chassis, how does the body compare to scale? The loco is 27ft 10in over buffers, which should scale down to about 111mm. Be interesting to see if it takes a Branchlines chassis.

Hi Bruce - it’s exactly 111mm over buffers. 

B237DF8C-20DF-41E1-AF10-A7FCC2859E53.jpeg

099A1A44-AE1D-4377-AEA3-D65A3CDBF7CC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The B2 would look better but is a more expensive option if one were to use a RTR chassis whereas the Branchlines kit will produce something closer to the prototype. 
When I have the time I’ll probably opt for the Branchlines kit. I’m still trying to grab spare moments to complete track laying so may be a while! 
incidentally I think there’s only one more of these NLR loco bodies available on eBay so get in quick if you want one. 
Jay

• RMweb Gold

That looks good Jay, I like how you've accurately captured the sudden change of gradient on the "Up" line, one of those things that wouldn't be believed unless you saw it for real!

I applaud your use of tinned goods for tracklaying - bonus points are awarded for rice pudding tins :)

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

That looks good Jay, I like how you've accurately captured the sudden change of gradient on the "Up" line, one of those things that wouldn't be believed unless you saw it for real!

I applaud your use of tinned goods for tracklaying - bonus points are awarded for rice pudding tins :)

Al.

Thanks Al - reproducing the hump at the apex of the up line and further along on the down line took a little bit of time to figure out. Luckily I’ve managed to amass nearly 300 photos of the site so I’ve got plenty of reference material. 
I can recommend old portable hard drives for weighting glueing track down - it’s way superior to the pudding tins. 
jay

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As I mentioned at the start of this topic I’m restoring a grade II listed cottage - today I’ve finally reached what will be the railway room. At the moment it’s looking a bit grim. It used to be the bathroom so today I gutted it. Luckily it’s just long enough to squeeze in Middleton Top. 

A76469BE-C317-41F6-8C22-D099641A9EBC.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I’m also thinking of buying these to support the layout. The dining room table is okay for one module but the three bolted together overhang a fair bit. £25 each seems pretty decent.

0C44A8E7-2E2D-44D2-AD15-98A99BE0D757.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Jay, 

I have a couple of these to support boards while I work on them. Very sturdy and adjustable. A good buy as far as I'm concerned. However, there's no adjustment on the feet, so your floor needs to be level! 

Regards, 

Geraint

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

I’m also thinking of buying these to support the layout. The dining room table is okay for one module but the three bolted together overhang a fair bit. £25 each seems pretty decent.

Hi Justin, you can buy a similar product on ebay for £33 for a pair.

They are not top quality but assemble ok. 

I've used mine for a couple of exhibitions with no issues.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2x-Adjustable-Builder-DIY-Carpentry-Work-Bench-Telescopic-Metal-Saw-Horses/174034965392?hash=item28854ad390:g:GiwAAOSwrvteKV3o

I suspect they are the same as the screwfix ones, but never having seen the screwfix version I may be wrong.

Just thought it might save a few quid.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Argos said:

Hi Justin, you can buy a similar product on ebay for £33 for a pair.

They are not top quality but assemble ok. 

I've used mine for a couple of exhibitions with no issues.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2x-Adjustable-Builder-DIY-Carpentry-Work-Bench-Telescopic-Metal-Saw-Horses/174034965392?hash=item28854ad390:g:GiwAAOSwrvteKV3o

I suspect they are the same as the screwfix ones, but never having seen the screwfix version I may be wrong.

Just thought it might save a few quid.

Thanks for that!

jay

20 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Hi Bruce - it’s exactly 111mm over buffers. 

B237DF8C-20DF-41E1-AF10-A7FCC2859E53.jpeg

20 hours ago, JustinDean said:

incidentally I think there’s only one more of these NLR loco bodies available on eBay so get in quick if you want one. 
Jay

Thanks Jay. Got one on order, should get here next week.

• Like 1

Jay,

My 0-6-0T body turned up OK but I have seen that it is bowed outwards over the tanks. I measures 32.5mm over the footplate at the front and rear but 34.4mm at the middle of the tanks.

1 - Is yours like that?

2 -  The maker seems to be CDC Design which incorporates Thanet Locomotive Works, I think I have sent them a comment (you don't know until you get a response) to see what they have to say.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2020 at 18:03, Poor Old Bruce said:

Jay,

My 0-6-0T body turned up OK but I have seen that it is bowed outwards over the tanks. I measures 32.5mm over the footplate at the front and rear but 34.4mm at the middle of the tanks.

1 - Is yours like that?

2 -  The maker seems to be CDC Design which incorporates Thanet Locomotive Works, I think I have sent them a comment (you don't know until you get a response) to see what they have to say.

Hi Bruce - thanks for flagging this up! Just checked mine and it’s the same. Bowed out by 2mm at the centre of the body. 
Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I should add that I keep forgetting to take photos of my progress with Middleton Top. Track is down and fully wired up and I’ve tackled ballasting across the board joints. Also I’ve started producing scale drawings of all the buildings on the site. So far the enginehouse, engine shed, water tower, shunters cabin, drivers shed and stone crusher are all planned out. 

I have nearly 300 photos of the site now but not one decent shot of the reservoir- I have plenty from a distance but they’re out of focus and lack detail. I’m wondering if it’ll be identical to the one at Sheep Pasture, which i have a few great photos of. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Been on short cycle ride on High Peak trail today - while there I’ve been investigating the landscape Middleton Top occupies. These photos capture the area covered by the left hand board of the layout with the spoil tip rising away from the trackbed and a meadow leading up to it. The road on the first photo leads to the crossing in the second photo. Apart from the collection of old photos I have I find taking panoramic shots give me a feel for the landscape and context for the railway. I have a fair bit of cellotex insulation left over from the cottage project which will be sculpted and set into the open framed ply base boards. 

DAC561A3-C97E-493B-80F5-C0E4EEAA52F0.jpeg

16468E3E-E6F4-4D7B-B091-3F3B2B5A2801.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Al. 
Here’s another taken from the trackbed towards Redhill quarry. Loading dock for the private siding where the stone crusher was located over on the right.

F72E9396-96DA-444B-A7A1-BA6D6801B1C6.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve started producing drawings of the various buildings at Middleton Top. The engine house really is the focus with its unusual shape, mix of materials, boilers and tall chimney. The drawings are more for me to get the main dimensions correct rather than the detail so ignore my terrible renditions for windows! I’m really lucky that I know a few staff at the real location and they supplied me with some plans they had drawn for when the enginehouse was renovated. I’ve used this coupled with photos and another plan I was sent to arrive at this:

79E2ADA3-E793-4FB7-BAE6-C8EF25FD9A93.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

The engine shed is a flimsy corrugated thing which has been burned down and lost its roof twice.  Again I’ve not fully represented the windows on this drawing. Geraint (Middlepeak) has very kindly drawn up the windows for the shed and enginehouse for etching. 
There are several sheds dotted about Middleton Top and a couple of them appear on this sheet:

42F885A2-2682-4A75-802C-8DD92B69DC7E.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

The stone crusher looms like a dark shadow at the back of most photos of Middleton Top. I’ve been lucky enough to find one where I can zoom in and still find some detail. It’s another corrugated sheet building and sits between the railway and Redhill Quarry:

B013E96C-BD4F-4852-B81F-63D1C93B0C4D.jpeg