Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

Those look great. Are you planning to "string" them? I've always shied away from that, on the grounds that it's very difficult to get the lines thin enough and with the appropriate amount of sag. Some people use EZLine, but being elastic that ends up taught and not very convincing.

I did read somewhere of an idea that you somehow lay the line flat with the correct sag and then apply superglue over all but the last 10mm or so next to each pole, where you need some elasticity to maintain the right shape. Sounds a bit fiddly, but it might work.

Regards,

Geraint

I’ve seen EZ line used elsewhere on RMWeb and considered it. I’ve just received some magicians invisible string which has similar properties but slightly finer. The sag is a tricky one isn’t it? I may try the superglue technique - thanks for that. 

EB15535C-A2F0-424C-AF9C-1BB072ED7D56.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I suppose I should make those sodding dry stone walls!

Ever thought about using this?

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/ekmps/shops/osbornsmodels/aloo200-arch-laser-flexible-cotswold-stone-walling-41828-p.asp

I know the top stones (don't know the correct term) aren't right for Derbyshire limestone wall nor the colour but I'm sure they can be made and painted the part. I'm going to try them out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for pointing them out. Although they’d be a much easier option they still don’t look right to me. Derbyshire walls are so distinctive I really feel they are a giveaway for the location. I just need to wind my neck in and crack on! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been thinking about locos for Middleton today and realised I’ve got a fair amount of work to get through on that side of things. At the moment I have 2x J94’s which are Hornby and DJM, 2x NLR tank bodies, one 3D print and another unbuilt white metal kit and a LNWR dock tank white metal body kit (these were used at Cromford). All are short wheelbased tanks that will need to operate at slow speeds. Currently the rtr models are set up for DC but as there’s only two of them maybe this is point to switch things over to DCC. The level of control and ability to use ‘stay alive’ capacitors seems common sense for a layout like this. I’ve never used this stuff and have spent a fair bit of time perusing different manufacturers. At the moment I’m leaning towards the new Digitrax controller - mainly because I like the look of the controls on it I have to admit. I’d be interested to hear what other folk are using here. Also DCC sound....chips where I could have a J94 loaded seem to come in at £99. Am I looking in the wrong place? That seems  insanely expensive. 

• RMweb Gold

So after more reading up ‘stay alive’ doesn’t seem to be that great but DCC offers a more refined way of controlling a loco’s motor overall. Thanks for confirming about the sound decoder prices Jonathon! 30 years out of the hobby and a few things have changed dramatically!

Seems like ProCab is a popular choice of controller - I do like the tactile nature of controls on the Digimax though. I’m going to have a long ponder over this now - while tackling walls. 

Hi Jay,

Coming along great and the variations in colour in the grass really show up well. One comment though - shouldn't there be a bit more scree showing on the surface of the tip in the background?

As you say, "now for the walls"!

Cheers,

Geraint

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Hi Jay,

Coming along great and the variations in colour in the grass really show up well. One comment though - shouldn't there be a bit more scree showing on the surface of the tip in the background?

As you say, "now for the walls"!

Cheers,

Geraint

Thanks for the feedback Geraint. From photos the spoil tip really varies in level of vegetation over time; from mounds of dirt and rocks to fully grassed and weeds. I’ve gone for grassed over but further down the line I may strip this back a tad so it doesn’t look like it’s part of the hillside. 
Yes - walls!

Ive made a mould for forming the clay. I’ve a feeling once I get into it I’ll probably enjoy doing it.....

Jay,

This is a Simplex or Motor Rail shunter employed at one of the quarries (probably Killers) for internal movement of wagons. I think this one survived at Bowne & Shaw's in Wirksworth until the late 70s, although probably not in working order. I remember seeing it peeping out of the undergrowth on one of my visits there. Killers had a second machine with what looked like home made bodywork, which was more frequently photographed.

Regards,

Geraint

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

This is a Simplex or Motor Rail shunter employed at one of the quarries (probably Killers) for internal movement of wagons. I think this one survived at Bowne & Shaw's in Wirksworth until the late 70s, although probably not in working order. I remember seeing it peeping out of the undergrowth on one of my visits there. Killers had a second machine with what looked like home made bodywork, which was more frequently photographed.

Regards,

Geraint

Thanks for that Geraint!

Jay,

Here's a photo of the beast (Derbyshire Stone No.3) at Killers in 1962 - Original from Jim Peden.

Compare it with No.2, which looked all the more 'home made' - photo from John Windle.

Finally a pic of my model of No.2 on Middlepeak. Tenshodo motor bogie with P4 wheels and quite a reliable little loco, provided that you keep the wheels clean!

G

KIL August 1962 Jim Peden.jpg

DStone 2 Killers John Windle.jpg

RM10009.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

Here's a photo of the beast (Derbyshire Stone No.3) at Killers in 1962 - Original from Jim Peden.

Compare it with No.2, which looked all the more 'home made' - photo from John Windle.

Finally a pic of my model of No.2 on Middlepeak. Tenshodo motor bogie with P4 wheels and quite a reliable little loco, provided that you keep the wheels clean!

G

KIL August 1962 Jim Peden.jpg

DStone 2 Killers John Windle.jpg

RM10009.jpg

Great stuff Geraint - I’ve found myself going down a Simplex rabbit hole today! Did you scratchbuild the body? I’ve seen Shapeways make a 3D print of these. 
Also your 4 wheel tender - can you tell more about that?

Thanks!

Jay

• Like 1

Jay,

The Simplex body is scratch built in plasticard. Likewise the McConnell tender, using drawings in Harry Jack's HMRS article. The six-wheel version is now available as an etched kit from London Road Models and on my 'to be built' shelf!

G

• Informative/Useful 2