Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Middlepeak said:

Hi Jay, 

Looking good. 

From memory there was a grid under the hose to 'catch the drips'. I used an etch, I think from Brassmasters. 

Otherwise good to go with the rattle can! 

Geraint

Thanks for the info Geraint. I may have something suitable in the bits box!

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I finally got round to purchasing a couple of Branchlines chassis kits for the NLR Class 75 bodies I have but where are wheels for these available? 4’4” H spoke driving wheels seem as rare as hens teeth. I’ve emailed Mark at Markits but not had a response- I understand he’s a one man operation so I probably need to be patient. Are there any other suppliers that have these wheels? 

Jay,

Be careful here, because the only NLT to carry H spoke driving wheels on the High Peak was 58850, and then only on the front and centre axles, as the following picture shows.

772766085_58850rightside.jpg.042001b2fd9199944c4b23bc526ee30e.jpg

When I first built my NLT, Sharman's wheels were available and he produced exactly the right one for the loco. Sadly, Gibson doesn't. The nearest size is a 4'3" wheel, of which there are two types, but neither has the correct number of spokes.

For my second NLT, which is still in the 'to do' cupboard, I've therefore bought some of his 4'3" 12-spoke tender wheels, which I hope to fit with etched crankpin bosses of the correct profile and throw. Hopefully, with some careful design and the wind blowing in the right direction, these will work.

Short of that, the only option would be to get some wheel centres 3D printed and Gibson tyres fitted. I personally have no experience of this technology, which appears to be in its infancy as far as wheel production is concerned, but is probably the way that things will ultimately go. Let's say I'm watching with interest, and if things progress suitably by the time I build the other kit, I may investigate!

All the best,

G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Wow! £80+ on wheels for an 0-6-0! Hope they work OK for you. At that price I'll probably stick to the tender wheels plus etched crankpin bosses.

Geraint

£39 per loco. £13 is for a pair of wheels plus axle and crank pins. 
For a novice like me it’s probably the safest option!

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Received wheelsets this morning for the two NLR tanks, I have a couple of Mashona 1020 motors so just need some gearboxes now so I’m thinking of putting an order in with High Level. In the meantime I’ve painted Middleton Tops water tank:

93C61F27-DBCE-4A64-AC4F-FAE9329F0113.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Received wheelsets this morning for the two NLR tanks, I have a couple of Mashona 1020 motors so just need some gearboxes now so I’m thinking of putting an order in with High Level. In the meantime I’ve painted Middleton Tops water tank:

Covid has affected High level's business. When I ordered a couple of gearboxes 10 days ago I was told it could be some time before the order would be fulfilled.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Covid has affected High level's business. When I ordered a couple of gearboxes 10 days ago I was told it could be some time before the order would be fulfilled.

Thanks for letting me know! 

Jay,

I also ordered a p4 set of wheels from Precision for my second NLT, which have now arrived. First job will be to set them up on a mandrel to see how concentric they are, as a friend of mine had some problems with wheels from the same source fitted to a GE 0-6-0.

When fitting them, best to file a slight chamfer on the end of the axle and do the same to the back of the wheel centre using a large diameter drill. This helps to set up the wheel square on the axle and reduce wobble.

Regards,

G

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

I also ordered a p4 set of wheels from Precision for my second NLT, which have now arrived. First job will be to set them up on a mandrel to see how concentric they are, as a friend of mine had some problems with wheels from the same source fitted to a GE 0-6-0.

When fitting them, best to file a slight chamfer on the end of the axle and do the same to the back of the wheel centre using a large diameter drill. This helps to set up the wheel square on the axle and reduce wobble.

Regards,

G

Thanks for that Geraint! 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Having a play with the camera on the iPhone Pro Max. Significantly better than my last iPhone!

7120FED0-6A6F-4B13-BFB8-6225139A34FE.jpeg

Witchcraft. 

• RMweb Gold

Mine still runs rings around me, Justin. 

And I'm still trying to come to terms with the camera on my new one. 

Rob.