Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

A very nice model. You must be well-pleased with it.

Thanks Jonathon - it’ll look the part at the back of the layout I’m sure. I’m tackling structures furthest away from the viewer first so they can’t be scrutinised too much! Still very much a learning process for me. 

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been trying out Al’s technique for painting stonework on the coal loading dock. To me the colour seems about there but I’d happily take some criticism at this point plus any suggestions on taking this further. 
Photographing this has highlighted some of my scribing coils have been better! It looked fine till I pointed a camera at it. 

629DC56E-C487-484C-99AA-5CC790A948A8.jpeg

F01E1F4E-0191-4D3A-9641-F000ACD82953.jpeg

1C9678C1-151F-485C-A11E-54C575F1FFDC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Nobody will be getting as close as your camera, will they? I think that from any distance it will look perfectly OK to the naked eye, so I shouldn't worry about any perceived imperfections. I think it looks splendid!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Nobody will be getting as close as your camera, will they? I think that from any distance it will look perfectly OK to the naked eye, so I shouldn't worry about any perceived imperfections. I think it looks splendid!

Thanks Mick and good point. In fact this will be facing away from the viewing side so happy days!

• RMweb Gold

I think it looks great. You could, perhaps, give it another wash just to darken it down a bit more, but it's hard to judge that from a photo on the internet, and it might look spot on to you, in which case ignore me... :D

Just a thought, but do you lay it on its side to apply the wash, or do it as it sits? You will find that the wash stays more evenly spread if you do it on each side in turn with the surface you are applying it to horizontal, otherwise the wash tends to congregate near the bottom of the wall.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1

Hi Jay,

Don't want to be a spoil sport here, but I think you've hit the same problem that I'm battling with over the Friden bridge.

If you think about local sources of stone to the High Peak, you've basically got limestone or millstone grit, neither of which had any significant brown colour to them. I can't think of any local sources of sandstone that would have the brown tint that you often see elsewhere.

I must admit that when I built the engine house for Middlepeak I may have erred too much towards the grey and ended up with a monotone finish that I was never 100% happy with. If you look at the engine house now, or the Friden bridge for that matter, there are traces of brown in there but not enough to warrant a brown base coat on the model.

20210716_101940.jpg.df851951cf15043f1257d4a4052afabd.jpg

I was discussing this the other day with two mates from our group, and we concluded that the only way of getting this right was possibly to visit the site and scrape away gently at the stonework, removing the muck to see what the original colour was!

The coal stage is looking good though. I think your scribing is fine. Maybe worth playing around with a little more of a grey wash to modify the colour. Satisfy yourself before you start the bigger task of making the engine house!

Cheers!

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I think it looks great. You could, perhaps, give it another wash just to darken it down a bit more, but it's hard to judge that from a photo on the internet, and it might look spot on to you, in which case ignore me... :D

Just a thought, but do you lay it on its side to apply the wash, or do it as it sits? You will find that the wash stays more evenly spread if you do it on each side in turn with the surface you are applying it to horizontal, otherwise the wash tends to congregate near the bottom of the wall.

Al.

Thanks Al - yes I’ve been applying washes while it’s horizontal. I’m still not 100% on the colour and Geraint has noted this!

Jay

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

If you think about local sources of stone to the High Peak, you've basically got limestone or millstone grit, neither of which had any significant brown colour to them.

Sorry Geraint, but that's not the case. This is millstone grit:

20140210_124829.jpg.8a67d5ba510ce1c75469d5ac4711058d.jpg

As is this:

Millstone Edge, Derbyshire

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Hi Jay,

Don't want to be a spoil sport here, but I think you've hit the same problem that I'm battling with over the Friden bridge.

If you think about local sources of stone to the High Peak, you've basically got limestone or millstone grit, neither of which had any significant brown colour to them. I can't think of any local sources of sandstone that would have the brown tint that you often see elsewhere.

I must admit that when I built the engine house for Middlepeak I may have erred too much towards the grey and ended up with a monotone finish that I was never 100% happy with. If you look at the engine house now, or the Friden bridge for that matter, there are traces of brown in there but not enough to warrant a brown base coat on the model.

20210716_101940.jpg.df851951cf15043f1257d4a4052afabd.jpg

I was discussing this the other day with two mates from our group, and we concluded that the only way of getting this right was possibly to visit the site and scrape away gently at the stonework, removing the muck to see what the original colour was!

The coal stage is looking good though. I think your scribing is fine. Maybe worth playing around with a little more of a grey wash to modify the colour. Satisfy yourself before you start the bigger task of making the engine house!

Cheers!

G

I think I’m going to make a site visit next week and discreetly carry out your suggestion. I’ve also got some of the local stone in my house in the form of an exposed wall. That greyish/brown colour seems elusive to me. More experimentation needed I reckon. 
The engine house will be the last thing I make - all these little bits make for good practise.  Just looking at your engine house - how did you create the stone work?

Cheers

Jay

• RMweb Gold

This is the workshops at Cromford Wharf, built from the local gritstone, which seems similar to what the winding house at Middleton Top was built of:

visit-to-Cromford019.jpg.5aaa528b3854184ec235e7d9322009bc.jpg

Middleton_top.jpg.376a97807cbf61743f5537ea6922b4fa.jpg

I think it very much depends on the light that is falling on it, as to the colour it appears, but there is a definite beige / brown colour to it.

Jay, your loading dock would probably be a similar colour to the raised platform in front of the boilers, and if that's the case then I think you've about nailed it. As I said, maybe a touch darker - a couple more washes? Try dropping a loaded brush on each stone, and then leave it - don't brush it across the whole area.

Jay-loading-dock.jpeg.b951fb42ee8ab4d606cf64804e25c36f.jpeg

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

This is the workshops at Cromford Wharf, built from the local gritstone, which seems similar to what the winding house at Middleton Top was built of:

visit-to-Cromford019.jpg.5aaa528b3854184ec235e7d9322009bc.jpg

Middleton_top.jpg.376a97807cbf61743f5537ea6922b4fa.jpg

I think it very much depends on the light that is falling on it, as to the colour it appears, but there is a definite beige / brown colour to it.

Jay, your loading dock would probably be a similar colour to the raised platform in front of the boilers, and if that's the case then I think you've about nailed it. As I said, maybe a touch darker - a couple more washes?

Jay-loading-dock.jpeg.b951fb42ee8ab4d606cf64804e25c36f.jpeg

Al.

Yes the light plays a massive part in the perception of colour. I have masses of photos of the engine house at Middleton Top and the variation in tone is substantial. 
I’m  also guessing if there’s been recent rain the tone will be changed. It’s heading into the time of year I’m modelling (August) so a site visit with photos for reference is going to happen!

cheers

Jay

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Thanks Al, I'll stand corrected. One of the benefits of living "on site"!

G

In your defence, as I said above, I think it depends very much on what light is falling on the building, and there are indeed plenty of photos where it looks grey... (and I'm not talking about black-and-white photos...) .

It's a common dilemma for modellers, do we use the colours of the materials that the building is made from as it appears when you are standing next to it, or how it appears from 100 yards away.

Cheers,

Al.

• Agree 2

Al,

I agree 100%. I've always tended towards understating colours on the basis that in general you are always viewing things from a scale 70-80 yards away. On that basis there's something to say for painting a model and then placing it temporarily on the layout to check the colour balance with its surroundings before you call it "finished". Colours can always be toned down with a very fine spray of light grey or beige if necessary.

On my walk round town today I found this in our excellent bookshop. More background reading! 

20210716_142358.jpg.835961c4b447e8a8ab4c415164661124.jpg

G

Edited by Middlepeak
Spelling
  • Like 4

Re the colour of rocks (or any other natural material) not only can the angle that the light hits have an effect on the perceived colour but so can the time of day and (for those still using it) the type of photographic film being used to record it, as an example many years ago I photographed some a lovely group of Gentian in full flower, when I got home and had the film developed the flowers appeared a pinkish purple, not the deep blue I had seen on the side of a Swiss Mountain. In the end if you want to paint stone dark grey because you think it looks right, do so. :-) likewise if you think it's brown, pink or has gold flecks in it then go ahead and recreate that, if anyone argues with you, just tell them that was what you saw and thus recreated. :-) :-) :-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a month of inactivity due to work I’ve finally been able to spend some time hacking up cellotex for board 2. Nothing fixed yet in this photo - just rough placements to see if I’m getting it right. You’ll see from the plan there’s some unusual contours going on here. I’m guessing this is the spot where materials from digging out the reservoir was dumped. 

5AB9928E-B38B-4417-808F-327464BFDA81.jpeg

CFFA8511-B6A2-41C3-BF38-91436120943E.jpeg

• Like 5