Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I seem to remember from the D299 thread that Slaters have the numberplate on the wrong side of the V iron

You’re quite right Jonathon - this along with a few other bits and pieces are highlighted in the first post on that thread. Thanks for the reminder!

Jay

On 09/10/2021 at 20:23, JustinDean said:

Another wagon kit - MR 8 ton 3 plank drop side by Slaters. Really easy to build - probably a couple of hours at most to finish. I like that this came with turned metal buffers and a full set of water slide transfers. All of the kits so far have needed the slots opening out to accept Smiths 3 link couplings; other than that there was a minimal amount of flash to clear up. 

Jay

672C974D-E290-4260-B5C9-B903C0BA5B9D.jpeg

I have always found Slater's wagon kits to be a pleasure to build.
Chris.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Kit #8

Another MR D305 drop side wagon. 
same Slaters kit as the last one but this time I’ve followed some of the modifications mentioned in Compound’s D299 Appreciation thread. Corner joints were adjusted so planks line up, number plate moulding removed, door stops added and finally some brass rod which passes between the V hangers for the brake rigging. I’ve got one more of these kits to build then I’m going for a lucky dip in the bag of doom to see what’s going to be built next. 

3E97FC0F-BA59-4A20-A8E1-1226637A62CC.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm resisting the temptation until I get the layout built.

Go on Wolfers, keep kidding yourself!!

Looks like your layout is coming on at a pace now.
These kits are great if you’ve just got a spare hour or two and can’t be arsed getting covered in PVA and static grass, or in my case I can only get to the layout once a week so this provides an evening fix of modelling. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't think that I am organized enough to build a layout that wasn't in the next room!

I wouldn't have guessed that you were building long distance, it's also coming along nicely.

Thanks…I get a good 6 hour go at it every Thursday; it’s a tricky one…the layout is at my house in Wirksworth, my business is in Derby and my partner is in Wednesbury, so inevitably I’m in Wednesbury most the time. Luckily she doesn’t mind me commandeering her dining table. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This mornings work in progress. I’m using an engraver tool to scribe stones into DAS clay. First photo shows the edge of the second disused loading dock at Middleton Top. While the second is the start of the retaining wall where the ground drops away from the reservoir. I’ve still got the large quarry dock to do today then I’ll make some DAS repairs where some clay has dropped away and once dry get it painted. 

Jay

61AE256F-495F-4977-A7CB-6C26DDCFE014.jpeg

F33A9186-288E-40B5-930E-970DEBADAAB5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone ever seen a photo of vans or brake vans being moved on one of the inclines? I haven’t come across any, yet clearly in this photo taken at Middleton Bottom is a van lurking in the sidings meaning it must have come up from Cromford up down from Middleton. 

Jay

D042A508-DA20-4AD0-9038-97118F6082E4.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's a shot I have of a van at Sheep Pasture in (I think) the 1950's. Certainly brake vans would not have been seen on the inclines as (a) the isolated stretch between the inclines did not require vans to be attached to each train, and (b) brake vans were generally of too long a wheelbase to go over the summit of the inclines.

Scan.jpg.532b61437900a9d6e9dc7f634c3d86f8.jpg

This is the only picture I can find that confirms a van on an incline. I presume it was for some kind of stores delivery to one of the quarries.

While I remember Jay, you were asking the other day about colour photos of the incline signs at Middleton. This shot is of the one at the bottom, but from memory the one at he top had the same wording.

MNI45.jpg.a4709fb79bf2e425d9402ed07c846a3e.jpg

Regards,

G

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Here's a shot I have of a van at Sheep Pasture in (I think) the 1950's. Certainly brake vans would not have been seen on the inclines as (a) the isolated stretch between the inclines did not require vans to be attached to each train, and (b) brake vans were generally of too long a wheelbase to go over the summit of the inclines.

This is the only picture I can find that confirms a van on an incline. I presume it was for some kind of stores delivery to one of the quarries.

While I remember Jay, you were asking the other day about colour photos of the incline signs at Middleton. This shot is of the one at the bottom, but from memory the one at he top had the same wording.

Regards,

G

Nice one Geraint! That’s definitely Sheep Pasture - the building on the right is stone whereas Middleton’s was timber. I wondered about brake vans as I’m sure I’ve read an account of them being used to move explosives down the Cromford Incline. May have to search for that again. Maybe the earlier period short wheelbase brakes would have been suitable?

The sign is identical - I’m wondering how one would tackle reproducing that?

Jay

Jay,

If you've got some software that will square up the sign picture, you can then print it out on matt photo paper.

In theory you could draw it and etch it, but I can't recall the size of it and therefore whether the text would come out OK.

G

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

If you've got some software that will square up the sign picture, you can then print it out on matt photo paper.

In theory you could draw it and etch it, but I can't recall the size of it and therefore whether the text would come out OK.

G

Would you be up for squaring that up for me and sending a file? That would be a massive help!

Thanks

Jay

• RMweb Gold

Here’s an over head view of the board with buildings removed to show how surfaces are being layered up. There’s still a fair bit of wall scribing and painting to do then I’ll be moving onto some of the thicker undergrowth that lurks behind the water tank and huts. 

Jay

499E731A-82A1-4A85-AD85-C6DFA5EFCE0A.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I still have two huts to make for this particular Middleton Top board. During Geraint’s visit last weekend he identified one of them as a grounded Midland brake van body  so I’ve spent an hour this afternoon knocking something up from the Slaters kit. The main task was to remove all moulded handrails and the buffer beam at one end. Photos suggest this was dark brown/black and I’ll be attempting to reproduce it in all its grotty glory. 

Jay

00628EC5-A715-430D-BC80-32954FFA3D28.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

I’m going to have a play around this Rob and see what I can do. Cheers mate. 

You're welcome, Jay. 

I'm just sorry I couldn't sharpen the lettering up. 

It will be interesting to see how it comes out. I'm looking to do something with some Great Eastern signage as well. 

R

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2021 at 14:31, Middlepeak said:

Regards,

G

I had a go, nothing to be done with "incline"

chpr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve started to add some of the more dense undergrowth today. The area behind the grounded van body looks like quite a large expanse of shrubs in photographs so I’m attempting to recreate this with rubberised horse hair and Noch leaves along with a selection of Woodland Scenics foliage materials. 
Also I’ve purchased some of the Bachmann slope sided mineral wagons. These will get 3 link couplings at some point. 
Jay

A3309957-53C8-4176-BDE5-A74174138216.jpeg

C9B39ACB-A5B2-4180-8C98-4FE3F25F403C.jpeg

4AA36828-3992-4310-90AF-D3810AB97D89.jpeg

• Like 14