Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It’s been a heavy month at work but I have managed to keep a hand in doing some modelling. 
Here’s another completed wagon kit. This one was found in a box that’s moved around with me since I was 17. I believe it’s a D&S LNWR butter wagon kit. Goodness knows why I bought this as I was firmly embedded in the GWR back then. The kit itself wasn’t in good shape with a lot of the white metal parts either distorted or broken, parts lost and also no instructions. It’s taken a few evenings to cobble this together, and a lot of swearing. To the point my partner asked, ‘aren’t you meant to enjoy this?’ Nothing would line up square, the axleboxes wouldn’t sit parallel, the whole thing nearly ended up in the bin. 

F0159F83-DA13-40C1-8DBA-7A9B37BDA406.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Aside from the wagon from hell I’ve embarked on another project. 
I can only get to Middleton Top one day per week but I’m keen to get something running sooner than later so I’ve embarked on a micro layout. This travels round with in a plastic box with me  so I can work on it anywhere when I have a bit of time spare. I’m still considering creating a new thread for this as it isn’t exactly C&HPR territory.

CD542EF8-CAB0-47A9-A89B-88FAD6CAA989.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So I bit the bullet and created another thread here for anyone interested. 
I’ll be back on the ‘Top this Thursday working on the engine shed. I’m on attempt number three trying to create decent arches in corrugated plasticard. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/168806-llanyblod-the-end-of-steam-in-wales/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So it’s time to crack on with board 3 and get it to the same point as the other two boards. This is the section with most of Middleton Tops major structures and I’m starting with the engine shed. I had a crack at one of the walls earlier in the year but was never happy with the arch cut outs in the corrugated plasticard. I recently bought an Olfa compass style cutter and this has done a far better job and can be seen in the photo after a bit of whittling today. I’ll make the opposing long wall next, with its very odd cut out to accommodate the corner of the cottage.

Jay

36E1A288-63BF-4CD9-A49B-E2E47235CABE.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More wall scribing this morning - currently

working on the retaining wall

in the foreground.

I still need to figure out how to disguise those joints on the premade walls in the background.

Jay 

15318650-C878-41A9-809C-429D518F42A9.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

One of the things I love about living in the Derbyshire Peaks is feeling a connection to the past. Beyond my 300 year old cottage is a world of ancient monuments, stone circles, lime kilns and of course the Cromford & High Peak Railway which seems to link all these places peppered across the bleak landscape. 
One of my favourite places to visit on the line is the 50 foot high Minninglow Embankment. Across the fields in plain view is the megalithic burial mound lined by its perfect circle

of trees. A disused lime kiln nestles in the shadow of the embankment while at either end the railway served a small quarry and a nineteenth century brick kiln which was also connected by a tramway from the nearby sandpits. 
This morning I stumbled across this fascinating article detailing the brick kiln site and thought it was worth sharing here:

https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-2300-1/dissemination/pdf/108/DAJ_v108_1988_048-053.pdf

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My regular dose of J94 this time has been facilitated by Tony Wright and Rob Kinsey with the loco built by Derek Johnson from the Mercian Models kit. What a lovely thing it is too. 

At some point it will receive a new number and some weathering. 

Jay

7CA86F9C-F458-4EAE-A6AB-46DDF95C4552.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work on your buildings, Jay. What you've built so far is high quality and full of character.

As for your bought-in sections of walling. Not sure there's enough vegetation in your chosen location to hide the joins. In which case, take a scalpel and create an interlocking set of notches on adjacent sections, with the vertical depth of each notch the same as each course you are "locking" into.

The interlock of several notches is a lot less noticeable than a single vertical join and a bit of a rub down with fine (say 400 grade paper) and a few light acrylic washes along the wall should disguise the join - hopefully!!

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Excellent work on your buildings, Jay. What you've built so far is high quality and full of character.

As for your bought-in sections of walling. Not sure there's enough vegetation in your chosen location to hide the joins. In which case, take a scalpel and create an interlocking set of notches on adjacent sections, with the vertical depth of each notch the same as each course you are "locking" into.

The interlock of several notches is a lot less noticeable than a single vertical join and a bit of a rub down with fine (say 400 grade paper) and a few light acrylic washes along the wall should disguise the join - hopefully!!

Jeff

That’s great advice Jeff - thank you!

I’ll give that a go next time I have a fettle. 
Thanks for the compliments on the buildings. I’m learning to be more patient and taking my time on them and generally feeling happier with the results. The encouragement is appreciated. 

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Jay - saw you on BBC News last night - pleased to hear that you have a new home for Dubrek. I guess that's made your Christmas knowing that the future of your business is now secure.

Let's hope that 2022 is a better year for you - and the rest of us !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-59771812

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Hi Jay - saw you on BBC News last night - pleased to hear that you have a new home for Dubrek. I guess that's made your Christmas knowing that the future of your business is now secure.

Let's hope that 2022 is a better year for you - and the rest of us !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-59771812

Thanks Mike! 
I wasn’t allowed to mention on the program that I’m entering into an arrangement with Derby Uni, who stepped in when that original media flurry happened. It definitely took some pressure off and has meant I’ve had a decent break over the last week. 
All the best for 2022!

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Pleased to hear about the link with the University - I spent 20 years at Kedleston Road in the Quality Office looking after partnerships with other providers and both UK and overseas colleges. I retired in 2019 but one programme I do remember having to approve was 'Heavy Metal Music' - I think it was at West Notts College Mansfield. Some of the academics on the panel were rather dubious about the title and content but those proposing the programme were able to show other degrees in Popular Music, Jazz, Church Music etc and said 'why not Heavy Metal?' I remember the Quality Manager who was Chair of the Approval Panel saying 'Of all the programmes I have approved, the only one people will remember is Heavy Metal Music !!'

Good Luck with the move - and apologies for drifting of topic . . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Pleased to hear about the link with the University - I spent 20 years at Kedleston Road in the Quality Office looking after partnerships with other providers and both UK and overseas colleges. I retired in 2019 but one programme I do remember having to approve was 'Heavy Metal Music' - I think it was at West Notts College Mansfield. Some of the academics on the panel were rather dubious about the title and content but those proposing the programme were able to show other degrees in Popular Music, Jazz, Church Music etc and said 'why not Heavy Metal?' I remember the Quality Manager who was Chair of the Approval Panel saying 'Of all the programmes I have approved, the only one people will remember is Heavy Metal Music !!'

Good Luck with the move - and apologies for drifting of topic . . . . . 

No worries on topic drift - I contribute towards plenty of that on other folks threads!

Small world isn’t it! I’ve been keen on working with the Uni for years and have been friends with John Crossley (Head of school of arts) also for quite some time and have contributed by delivering talks and one off lectures plus providing work experience. The opportunity to formally bring Dubrek and the Uni together is a fantastic opportunity and I’m really excited about it. There’s a lot of work going forward but I believe we can really make a difference to the musical landscape in the city, be it heavy metal, jazz or anything in between. 

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Happy New Year Jay, we really must try to get together at some point in the new year, It's not like we live hundreds of miles away!

Al.

Absolutely Al! I’ll give you a shout in the new year mate. 
Jay

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Happy new year Jay, here's to seeing all our layouts "finished" this year.

Rob

I wanted to use several emojis for this but went with funny as we all know they’re never ‘finished’; there’s just various levels of completion. 

Jay

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Maybe we could organise a High Peak Modellers' Convention in 2022? We'll at least three blokes in a pub chatting about our favourite railway line ....

Happy New Year to all.

G

That sounds marvellous mate!

Happy New Year Geraint!

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Maybe we could organise a High Peak Modellers' Convention in 2022? We'll at least three blokes in a pub chatting about our favourite railway line ....

Happy New Year to all.

G

48 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

That sounds marvellous mate!

Happy New Year Geraint!

Jay

That sounds like a great idea.

Al.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m hoping it’s third time lucky on the engine shed. Still unhappy about the window cut outs so I’m having another attempt at this wall using a different material. This time the corrugated sheet is made from metal. Still using the Olfa cutting tool to get the arch. Two down and four to go…I think the result is far better this time. 

Jay

2DD85923-EBA2-49FD-9EB5-6E1CE51C22C4.jpeg

• Like 4