Phoenix (BSL) LMS coach builds

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Progress as of this morning. The roof is just loose fitted while i complete the interior. I also need to add decals to the windows and exterior along woth a grey panel near the brake end. Not sure if there is one on both sides though???

20200508_113408.jpg

20200508_113442.jpg

20200508_113452.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

yes there should be a panel on both sides. It should be for chalking destinations markings but I can't remember seeing them on BCKs..

baz

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John. Just need to tidy it up a little, number it and add the end/roof handrails. Bit stuck on how they are routed on the roof as not many pictures are from above the coach. Looks like on the brake end they extend to the 3rd vent, and return down the other side. There might also be a small grab rail, just cant properly make it out. The other end is a mystery too.

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Completed coach. Will weather it before it makes its way to the layout. Few areas could have been better but i'm quite pleased with how it turned out. 

Thank you to John and Baz for your help and guidance. I really appreciated it!!

20200510_133432.jpg

20200510_133523.jpg

20200510_133539.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Way more satisfying. Even though its not perfect, its something i've built and enjoyed every minute. 

I won 2 more LMS BSL kits off Ebay last night for £11 inc postage but these have wooden roofs so will need to find the correct aluminium ones or buy Comet ones. 

Baz also very generously gifted me a part kit for a 65ft Vestibule Dining car which also needs roof and underframe to finish. 

Should keep me busy for a few months. Now going to finish my Coal Tank i started now i have a new set of mainframes from Alan Gibson, paint my Vickers Light Tank for the Bachmann Parrot wagon and start on a couple of Ratio coaches i found in my kit drawer!

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As i was waiting for the paint to dry on the fourth and last of my Ratio Sheffield suburban set, I decided to make a start on the BSL 65ft Vestibule 1st coach which Barry so very kindly donated to my cause.

Comet underframe has been constructed, plasticard floor added, vents for the roof and now making a start of the roof strips and interior. I found some white metal coach seats online so have those which I will use for the seating and will fabricate the tables etc from plasticard. I also have lamps for the tables and I am sure I can make some curtains from Rizzla papers. 

I note earlier in the post these were coupled with 50ft kitchen cars so will now be on the look out for one of those. Probably end up buying a full kit from Comet.

All I need now is a layout big enough to run all of these coaches!! At the most mine will handle a loco with 5 coaches behind.'

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Ian

they were Restaurant Unclassified (RU) by name. Sounds like a good start though.

If you can find an old Stanier 50' BG  and some sides you could bodge a 50' FK. Mine are both ex BSL Pd III but I do have a PdI/II FK to rebuild.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very good ! By the way you are well on with your first Westdale kit.. interiors look very nice,. Shall I send my two over to you to refurb the interiors?:jester:

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Body and interior painted and just waiting for it to dry before glazing, door handkes and final assembly then lining etc. 

I put a white top to the seats as i assumed they would have had a cloth covering the head rest. It wont really be seen so not too worried if its 100% accurate.

20200629_211907.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Completed and added to the other BSL coach. Now looking for the 50ft kitchen car and will also start work on the other 2 BSL coaches i have.

Lining was completed in the end by the bow pen as i could not get the transfers to sit straight. Glass is microscope slides.

20200713_165934.jpg

20200713_165845.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice and looks good in that livery. My two are boring BR livery ones!

1224900929_Period3RTO65ft.JPG.9de69fcbe6eec06284a719207e09ca0f.JPG

Note no curtains or lamps.. they will be done eventually..

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Baz. I hope i did your kit justice!!! Curtains were cut out from old Rizzla papers left over from my days as a smoker coloured with a red sharpie and glued in place using krystal klear. 

I think i did a much better job on the roof this time. Used strips of insulating tape instead of styrene!

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Almost finished the BSL 57ft Brake 3rd (forgot the vac hoses) and now on my 60ft corridor composite. These kits had the wood roofs which after rubbing down and sealing with Shellac, they turned out ok. Both use Comet underframes and i also got a reel of roof tape which looks much better. Will post pics up later in week.

I also have a comet 50ft kitchen car to complete and on the look out for a open 1st or 3rd to complete the set (that will fit on the layout). 

Need a much bigger room so i can build a full prototypical set of coaches!!!!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest 2 additions to the rake of BSL coaches. The 60ft composite corridor d1925 and 57ft brake third d1905. Both with wood roofs and comet underframes.

Now in the process of building the comet 50ft kitchen car. I could do with another open but the layout wouldnt handle that length of train so this might have to do.

20200831_161909.jpg

20200831_161904.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

At last I have managed to complete my rake of BSL/Comet coaches to accompany my Jamieson Jubilee on a trip around the layout. The final coach I built was a Comet 50' Kitchen Car D1912 and goes nicely with the four BSL coaches. 

I wish I had room for a more prototypical formation, but at the moment, 5 coaches is about the maximum my layout can handle. Maybe one day I will have room to build a 30' layout, but I think the wife may have something to say about that!

20201006_070608_resized.jpg.6b24afa06b4b361d7b38097d86698256.jpg20201006_070621_resized.jpg.de240c78918a10f9eb042475e7c18d5b.jpg

• Like 7