Coalorsdale - A shropshire Branchline - 1965 to 71

Pics of flying bananas on the various branches out of Worcester (Severn Valley, Leominster, Bewdley-Tenbury) are common. The question is whether the line through Coalbrookdale saw them. I thought I'd seen pics that suggested they did make their way along there

• Like 2

On 12/01/2021 at 16:08, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I have just submitted my report, so i should have atleast a few days to work on the layout properly again.

one thing i have been pondering is signalling. i want to incorperate atleast a few signals. probably a starter for each platfrom and some shunt signals. I have no clue what to do when it comes to signalling so i was hoping some of the more experienced signallers could help.

anything coming from wellington has to go the wrong way along the track in orange in order to go up the incline to the works. is there any way to signal this. could someone help with a basic signal diagram please? then i can have a look about at what signals id like to use and have a play with some control systems.

Any advice re signals? 

I've taken a blind guess and put some signals on both platforms and one at the top of the Incline stopping anything at the top if the line isn't clear. 

I guess I need something at the bottom of  the Incline at the junction. 

And possibly something near the viaduct Incase  the platform isn't empty?

Probably a bit ott for a branch but I know I dinately need something. 

As for the sidings Id like to add the correct shunt signals but they won't be operational. 

I'm guessing any reverse move through the orange block to get to the Incline from the station would be done on the authority of the box? 20210115_010348.png.27b165765fd3be066c63dbf145dcb6b1.png

All of this is guesswork. All advice welcome

Your best bet is to put up a post asking for help designing signalling on the Permanent way, Signalling & Infrastructure section of this site.

I did that and found that I was on a steep learning curve but with a whole lot of very knowledgeable people who are keen to help.

The annoying thing is that I know that I could make a full size semaphore signal, but I couldn't tell you where to put it... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Excelent service from rails... the 122 arrived at around 09:30 this morning . i had a few issues with pickup, having dissasembled the unit , done a full inspection and reflowed the solder joints, it turned out i just needed to clean the wheels and track.

after an hour or two doing laps at various speeds, the mechanism is well and trully bedded in. Ive also removed the couplers and added all the buffer beam detail. weathering, headcodes and passengers to come sometime relativeley soon. 

ive also got a thread going in the signalling advice forum, fingers crossed i get somewhere.

P1060673.JPG.7300dd3195c6b4406cc06e99137efa75.JPGP1060685.JPG.fd16f9876db0eff870514d99444edaa1.JPGP1060689.JPG.a928b18e4b5d534fe35aa36b83b3fe0a.JPGP1060699.JPG.ea3dedbec63a7c7d6df8ed67f50188d3.JPG    

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

Reflow the solder joints? Do you really have to do that with RTR stuff these days :o

Does look the part though. Presumably it will get the right headcode and destination board at some point. Could do with a crew too, though the absence of passengers would point at why the line didn't survive Dr Beeching.

23 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Reflow the solder joints? Do you really have to do that with RTR stuff these days :o

Does look the part though. Presumably it will get the right headcode and destination board at some point. Could do with a crew too, though the absence of passengers would point at why the line didn't survive Dr Beeching.

apparently these are hand soldered in the factory and some people have had cold solder joints. I reflowed one joint as a precautionary measure as it looked a little off.  

i hope to fit all the details, passengers etc. and  weather it at some point.

I've made a start on My next box of seafoam. I will definitely need several more to finish all of the trees :D

I've also added a hedgerow around the goods yard, as well as a thin line of trees. I'm not too sure if I should  continue it up the road? 20210116_184128.jpg.e69c134b62dd300040d73d6af299d85b.jpg20210116_184018.jpg.50b4cdadfc58ebe0511b66e8b34967c4.jpg20210116_184119.jpg.2cb5c66829a234766991da1d6b1fc925.jpg

I have ordered a different shade of green foliage, but it's not arrived yet as it was out of stock. I may end up painting some trees with the airbrush but for now the whole layout has burnt grass trees. 

• Like 7

After some discussion In The signalling thread......20210119_174308.jpg.3d4da29745a5dfff1e6614bc73b310ef.jpg20210119_194817.jpg.84ea9972c11734aa5c7e83e342391c0d.jpg

The crossover is now trailing. 

I also have a list of signals to buy once I've finished re wiring the crossover and doing other projects. 

I've  decided to use the old crossover to add some more sidings In the storage yard and Im  to add an accessory decoder so I can control the storage yard from wherever I'm sat.  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Extend the hedge up the road but dont make it to thick also a few fence posts in the hedge this will add some extra character to the view.

And don't for get the brambles!  And maybe a few nettles and docks wouldn't be amiss!

Roja

• Like 1

A good way of modelling brambles is to get clumps of polyfibre, tease it out to be real thin and then spray it black or a very dark brown. Black is probably easier as spray tins of blackboard paint are cheap and easy to get hold of. Then give it a light blast of Photomount and dust the polyfibre with flock or what Noch sells as leaves. To finish off scatter very lightly with white scatter to represent the flowers that appear in late summer.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The yard is rewired, I'm having some trouble with the seep motors throwing the points consistently. 

I could swap the lenz decoder for one with capacitors built in, but I'd rather have  the motors work consistently at low voltage instead of using brute force to throw them. 

Ive emailed peco about getting some springs to replace the ones I removed from the points. If that combined with some tuning doesn't work, then I'll weigh up my options for replacing the motors. 

Another project completed today was a dcc mimic panel that shows the routes each point is set to. It works perfectly and was easy to set up, just a shame the points don't throw reliably to match it.

I scribed the text with the soldering iron like my other panels, I may redo the storage yard text. 

20210124_184652.jpg.f4af3d9ecbe5bf85df8177cbf29958da.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent service from peco, when I go for my afternoon walk I shall post a pre paid envelope to them and they're sending a bag full of point springs free of charge. 

I've also designed a mount that allows more accurate positioning of the seep motors so I think I shall save the expense of replacing them. 20210125_142815.jpg.73c45c0c22604ffeacf2ffbdf44b5edc.jpg

Finally, I've also painted the storage yard sign. It was my dad's idea to make a plaque like a station sign. I'm quite happy with it and will glue it onto the mimic panel later. 20210125_142754.jpg.24dbf31b3f2ce381add72eac795ca497.jpg

• Like 4

Here are 5 of the mounts, they replace the plywood blocks I had previously mounted the motors to. 

The small holes are to attach the motors to and the large slots allow screws attached to the baseboard to slide, giving fine adjustment of position. 

Time to go see if they work, I've tested on one point already before printing in bulk, so hopefully they all work out OK. 20210125_180736.jpg.3e6cae4f6e30bbaa58cb938734036810.jpg

• Like 2