Coalorsdale - A shropshire Branchline - 1965 to 71

With all this news about lockdown and road maps I realised it was almost time to face reality and return back to uni. 

I'm not actually needed there until late April, however as my Christmas holiday has lasted around three months, the sooner I go back to the house I'm spending my entire student loan on, the better. 

I've settled on roughly the 20th March, which gives me three more weeks with the layout, after which I will only be working on kits etc. buying rolling stock and finishing off my uni layout. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

A few bits and bobs today. 

My class 122 arrived back from rails, or rather a replacement. It's like a completely different model and runs perfectly so I think I must have had some sort of lemon before. 

My copy of GWR country stations has arrived and I'm sure it will be a good read. 

16146350310477051163177397030420.jpg.3f8e5bf7a37bf685f05840f3cfbf736c.jpg

Finally I also made a good start on installing the hidden sidings. 

20210301_125520.jpg.73e6c146639694aa18696f974272f8fd.jpg

I have a list of things I want to complete before returning to uni, which includes getting the basic baseboards finished for my future uni / portable layout. As you may have seen I've ramped up planning for that layout, but I still want to get alot done on coalorsdale before I go away again. 

Edited by Horsehay Railway Modeller
  • Like 2

Ive finished the shelf, but I don't seem to have any in progress photos on my phone. I'm sure I'll pull some of my camera at some point. 

Anyhow here's the finished project. You can see the two red leds which illuminate when there's a train up against a microswitch "buffer stop". I've just spread out some random magazines as my Railway books only cover about 2 inches of shelf. (The three books at the end). I've also put half of my Hornby magazines on one side of the speaker, the rest are at uni. 

20210304_193748.jpg.c2220b5ee82ebd335e1b35e38549b7db.jpg

All in all this corner is now a nice reading area and I've got more flexibility shunting the works. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Apologies for not updating this thread. 

I am currently back at university for the rest of term. Although I'm not actually studying on campus I thought I might as well be living in my student house as I have been paying for it the whole time I've been at home. 

To that end MrWolf is quite right I am currently working on a new portable layout called cherrybrook which you can find on here. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

About 4 weeks untill I'm back home, I'm currently down in cornwall staying with my girlfriends family. 

We hopped on the train this morning to come and do some shopping in Plymouth. Plenty of standing around in clothes shops but I also managed to sneak in a trip to antics, where I've bought a peckett. I may end up repainting it but it will serve as the shunting loco at the works. 

20210614_155451.jpg.fc2c53a1c9eb7200aec1f2d9dd559c45.jpg

Having seen so many on YouTube I thought it would be rude not to. There were plenty of pecketts about in Shropshire too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

I've just got back and got it out of the box, the livery is so well applied I think I will just give it a weather and leave it be. There is one in the lillishall company livery which I may pick up at some point too. 

Overall very impressed, I can't wait to get it shunting the works. 

20210614_174704.jpg.5687cb5702429a37bc25ec7b07f429d6.jpgi20210614_174700.jpg.51db2ab13419e473f20d689b6f59dbac.jpg

20210614_174648.jpg.6702bf822b0bce7668339f95c9383243.jpg

I bought the navy blue one and turned it into a Rocket-a-like (named Noah after my little lad) at the Telford Steam Railway. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm starting to think if things I can do whilst down in cornwall to prepare for going home to the main layout. For now I have another shopping trip planned, this time to kernow sometime In The next fortnight. 

I've also just bought a few figures from hardys hobbies. A footplate crew for my new peckett and two workers for the yard. 

I bought the unpainted versions so I will have something to do when Im here. If they come out well I might have a look at a few more. 

Still waiting for the figures. 

I've been planning the works area in my head and using photos. I wasn't happy with the large building at the front of the scene so I'm working on the idea of a y point leading to a 4 th siding, this will keep most of the area at baseboard level - allowing for easy viewing and shunting. 

The 4 th siding will go Off the edge of the baseboard and continue on to the "rest of the yard". It will also allow for a small single story warehouse with a loading dock. 

Of course all of this is theoretical until I get home in july

1208953288_20210304_1941362.jpg.2e703580db0a954f57a53f4f99854edc.jpg

20210216_124132.jpg.3d55afad9e6a79503da1cb0625c8b5e8.jpg.90db2798f75cae66207490f1a8702a76.jpg

20210225_154314.jpg.383f105d2697639725c99d93698679ed.jpg.8ea0bc725fee4063f8d9993ced8a6fa9.jpg

Edited by Horsehay Railway Modeller
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening all, 

I've been thinking about goods movements on the layout and in particular for the works. 

My main plan for when I return home next month is to get some of the buildings and scenery finished on the Industrial area, as well as working on rolling stock and goods movements. 

I bought a job lot of kadee couplers a few weeks ago so I can continue to get individual wagons fitted. 

I've also just won 8 mineral wagons with coal loads and kadee couplers fitted. 

Here is some of the traffic I think the works needs. The output lists some of the specific items I wish to represent. 

In

- coal / coke

- oil

- limestone

- iron ore

- pig iron

- sand ( for moulds) 

- refractory brick (for kiln repairs) 

- General goods / machinery parts. 

Out

- small domestic castings (crates / vans) 

- gates / fences 

- columns 

- Bridge parts

-  beams 

Does anyone have any other ideas for in / out traffic. Or even specific wagons used for each type of traffic. 

The latest of my impulse purchases is another green 61xx. Its a slightly newer Hornby model than my current one, and is also dcc sound fitted!. 

I will probably keep both, I may end up weathering them to different levels or even respraying one into black. 

I'll get some photos and videos up when I get back to uni next week. 

I presume you've had a look at the Dawley Heritage site with the pictures of Horsehay Works. Some interesting products to be shipped there, sadly none shown being shipped. I'll put the link here, maybe others can advise on how things like cast iron columns would get shipped out.

http://www.dawleyheritage.co.uk/horsehayworks/738/horsehay-works

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, whart57 said:

I presume you've had a look at the Dawley Heritage site with the pictures of Horsehay Works. Some interesting products to be shipped there, sadly none shown being shipped. I'll put the link here, maybe others can advise on how things like cast iron columns would get shipped out.

http://www.dawleyheritage.co.uk/horsehayworks/738/horsehay-works

Cheers, Indeed I've seen this gallery many times, there are certainly some very interesting castings. Current plan is to 3d print a few. 

I'm back from Cornwall and will be at uni for another week untill I return home to Shropshire. 

Some of my ebay purchases were waiting for me, such as this beautiful prairie. Some touch ups and weathering required but I do like the polished tanks the previous owner has applied. 

20210705_103021.jpg.3cbf1f93fc7faa0ef1992ae6afdb23fe.jpg

It is a Hornby offering bought second hand and has a dcc sound chip. 

Does anyone on here recognise it? I think it's a loksound v4. 

The gold text under the sticker reads ESU LS4N

20210705_101941.jpg.c163a1fac13bb922bf8a431ec382c9a0.jpg

Ignore my last, prairie is on its way back to Sheffield. I worked my debit card a little hard over the past month and I decided it was best to just get some money back. Also I wasn't overall enthralled by the loco for the reasons below. 

a. I already have a prairie

b. The sound was nothing to go running home about. 

C. It needed some work, I. E. Running gear and paint touch ups. 

Hopefully I get a full refund and the. I will have some money again. 

• Friendly/supportive 1