Coalorsdale - A shropshire Branchline - 1965 to 71

I remember someone who thought he was all that trying to make me look stupid by saying loudly "How can it be a 'Derby' range if you say it was made in Shropshire?" Thereby demonstrating that the only thing holding his ears apart was something that the cat was glad to be rid of...

I have the signals plonked on the layout. Hoping to get them installed in the next few days and then I can touch up ballast etc. 

The junction bracket is causing a little bit of a fuss on the signalling thread as it is after the point, however if it was any closer to the tunnel it wouldn't be seen from inside. 

I think I shall install it there as is. I'm working on the assumption there is a repeater either in the tunnel or at the other end. I've read another thread on here with a similar issue and it seemed there were several examples of similar setups. 20210206_173435.jpg.d6d8ac679766bca836c883b9e3b92c6d.jpg

20210206_173429.jpg.cd7e2a174b869ad60fc3f04030d05daf.jpg

20210206_173416.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If I proposed putting a signal where you have it shown the Inspection Officer would be questioning what I had been smoking.

When there isn't room to put a signal between the tunnel and the points there isn't going to be one, it will be in or on approach to the tunnel. 

If it isn't possible to see the signal then a banner repeater would be placed inside the tunnel or on the approach side to it.

I can think of cases in real life where the points are close to the tunnel mouth and the signal is inside the tunnel although it would not be a full arm semaphore in that instance.

In the case of points where the Facing Point Lock is mechanically held by a locking bar the signal would be about 60 feet from the points. If the FPL is held by a track circuit then the closest the signal could be is by the rail joint at the toe of the points although it would be most likely at least six feet further back and preferably 120 feet.

• Informative/Useful 4

5 minutes ago, whart57 said:

So you were an Ab Dab then

Indeed. 

To bounce or not to bounce... That is the question. 

I'm currently programing an arduino to run the signals. At the moment I've got the movement similar to other servo controllers. With a pull on, a little overshoot at the bottom and then a slight bounce at the top.

I know if the signals were maintained and operated correctly there should be no bounce however I like the character it adds.

GIF-210207_122206.gif.b791534e541e4b9e51b07bf58a235f18.gif

The bounce and overshoot are based on a random number generator so they should be random every throw. 

All comments welcome

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

is there no way at all i could use it there, having spent a few hours making it it seems a shame to waste it.

Signals don't have to be tall. This one which used to be at Langley Green Middle had a station canopy and footbridge obscuring the approach when it was first put in. The reason why the right hand doll is tall is that there used to be a lower distant arm for the East box.

148234955_CTT_359-1crop.jpg.af6bcf756dd917f1eee211148d9daf00.jpg

In the case of your signal if you must use it I would make two alterations. Firstly shorten the arm reading to the incline and secondly cut the main post off just below the angled strut in the same way as the picture above.

Position the signal by the joint at the toe of the points with the right hand end of the bracket 6mm clear of the side throw of your longest wheelbase bogie vehicle, which would be the Hawksworth coach in the picture of the branch train you posted.

• Informative/Useful 4

Just finished the hardware for the signal controls. 

Arduino uno,  dcdc converter for servo power, Header pin outputs for servos and Inputs for switches. 

I'm just going for a row of switches so I can manually set signals. No interlocking or anything with points. 

I shall just pretend the correct interlocking is there when I operate. 

20210207_174654(0).jpg.69ef052cf60841515194876bb57bb607.jpg20210207_174726.jpg.b5b72a8d339a32a336c53a51ceafcd38.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Horsehay Railway Modeller said:

is there any chance it could go on the opposite embankment for better sighting?

I remember having one like that at the exit from a tunnel but it still has to go clear of the points, so you may have difficulties in sighting the main arm grom in the tunnel or the incline arm when close up with a train passing on the other line. 

The picture of it on the left looks quite good. The important thing is to see the main arm, but if slowing a train there is a problem then a repeater could be used. 

• Like 1

Two lovely parcels delivered today. 

The corridor third I ordered arrived. 

Also as we can't go anywhere my gf and I decided on small early gifts for valentines. 

To my supprise She bought me a Bedford ambulance, a lotus elan, a vauxhaul Victor and some livestock. 

20210209_133514.jpg.bcfbd2f3ffc20a7eddb1e14acf30f479.jpg

The lotus is a tiny bit new but I have plans to have it poking out from under a tarp in a garage so you shouldn't be able to tell exactly which version of the elan it is. 

I'm really happy with the corridor third, I've fitted kadees and now im just waiting for the brake, which is in the post. 

20210209_134940.jpg.1e49468e08278eda84f19d986b3a4cde.jpg

• Like 4