If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Free Holidays for model mules!

InterCitySpud

Hello to all.

Firstly can I say how lucky some of you must be if you are currently locked down in your model room. Not taking away any of the seriousness of this time but for any of us in the know, months can disappear let alone weeks. I do hope your all well and enjoying some serious weathering projects, I'm jealous!

I'm making the return to modelling after a painful 35 years of abstinence, brought about by the usual life interruptions. I had many layouts until sixteen, modelling to a decent standard, all modern image back then but that was in the eighties when BR blue reigned supreme. You cant imagine how excited I was when Peco introduced concrete sleepered flexitrack! My favourite coach back then was the Mainline RBR which I had weathered, added orange curtains, white seats, people and an almost detailed buffet counter!

Now I have started serious research again, despite all the obvious advances with DCC, sound etc, I find it difficult to believe that in all that time for such an ubiquitous coach it's only just about to be replaced RTR by Hornby. Also good to finally see a race to produce decent air-con MK2's but where are the MK2b's? Lima produced the last ones with glazing 2' back from the frame! Still cant make a MK2b TSOT! Anyway, sorry, I'm meandering!

I wanted especially to say hello as I'm now located in Thailand, which is going to create special problems as I need to not only buy in bulk where I can but also I need it to be correct, I can't really pop back to the modelshop!

For that reason as I can't fly back and collect myself that often, I'm hoping for an alternative solution in throwing my mercy on any fellow modellers out there planning to holiday or travel to Thailand who maybe carry a few locos or precious items, hence the mule part! No dodgy packages of course!! Obviously this may not be for some time, but I'm not starting as yet and as I have a small beach resort, I do need to wait until some semblance of any type of normality returns before I blow huge amounts of cash on trains, however important they are and however desperate I may be to start modelling again.

So I'm fishing for any suggestions, even any model shops or retailers you may have experience with who maybe able to help with long range clients so I'm sure when I'm buying it's absolutely what I need and it's double checked, more in case I have made mistakes!

Building over here has one single benefit, space. I have more room than I might in the UK so my proposal is a scale mile, around 70' oval, representing the lower end of the WCML around the early to mid eighties, of course! Now Peco are planning to produce 4 line portals (never been brave enough to build my own) we have Bachy's superb 85, Heljans new 86? Hornby's 87, Mk3a's, Mk2f's and now a realistic buffet coming to go with it all! Yay! The only big piece missing is a RTR (AM10) Class 310 in blue and blue/ grey (wish) Can anybody supply or build a Southern Pride one for me? These are many of the questions I'm hoping to get some help with here, so sorry for going on and well done if you have got through it all!

To finish as mentioned I have a traditional bamboo beach hut and wooden bungalows on a coconut tree lined beach in Koh Phangan, Thailand. This project will take me years so the offer of help could be rewarded for free accommodation for your holiday. Just don't forget the "extra" suitcase! If not hopefully some experts here maybe able to help my upcoming project headaches as I'm the only modeller on the island!

IMG_1331.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm in! A weeks free/cheap holiday and I will bring you a suitcase full of whatever railway items you need (once it is safe to travel). Realistically, this would be 2021 though. (Feel free to PM me for further discussion).

Edited by Iskra

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

"Did you pack your own suitcase Sir ?".   "ummmm welllll"    "And What's THIS device for Sir ?" 

" Its a static grass aplicator".      "GRASS did you say Sir ! ??? " :mosking:

• Funny 2