Advice with new class 31 loksound v4

farren

• RMweb Gold

First sound loco so sorry in advance of what might be daft questions. 

managed to fit the decoder and all works. Though it’s a bit low and needs sound needs increasing which I think I can do. But with the decoder comes little black squares one with a base. What are these for? Do they act like a sound box or are they for something else?

Sounds (pardon the pun) like you have a sugar cube kit there.

Yes you need to build up the sound box.

Smear some PVA glue around the joints where you have stuck the little box's together to make the box air tight NOT the speaker top.

Wiggy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Better still chuck the puny speaker away and fit something decent! With minor surgery to the speaker enclosure and removal of the cooling fan you can get a base reflex in to a Hornby 31 for some cracking music.

Come back if you want further info!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I squeeze one of these in 

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-103543/4-ohm-bass-reflex-speaker

Always best to go for biggest speaker you can - and those with an integral enclosure like this one will avoid the need to create a sealed chamber.

Fan comes out of 31 easily - just a couple of screws once you have the body off. The enclosure needs a little bit of carving ti fit around the body support pillars which you will then need to seal - I have used Blu Tak which you can see in photos. Just cut off your existing speaker from its wires and solder them to the wires of the new speaker - making sure you insulate joints, heat shrink is best.

Then fire up and enjoy! Whose sound file are you using - I have Howes in mine, video along in a moment.

image0 (5).jpeg

image1 (5).jpeg

image3 (4).jpeg

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, farren said:

Cheers for your help, which sound I’m using just the one it came with. 

OK! Where did it come from? Cant get video to load now so heres one we did earlier... ignore thumbnail below, 31 is on first....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Welcome - come back if any further issues. ESU are supplying the small speaker so that they can say it fits in to the majority of models without any need to change. Unfortunately this approach wont give the best sound reproduction. Have you got many other sound locos?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Welcome - come back if any further issues. ESU are supplying the small speaker so that they can say it fits in to the majority of models without any need to change. Unfortunately this approach wont give the best sound reproduction. Have you got many other sound locos?

Kernow supply the South West Digital Sounds, there needs more bass in a Class 31 to make it sound good.

Charlie (DCkits-Legomanbiffo)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh sorry I missed the last part of your question no this is my first sound loco. Though I have a Accurascale class 55 on order with sound. But couldn’t wait and waited to have a go with sound. And I liked the model 

45A37271-58CD-4276-8DD7-9BB0F931CF2B.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice! Have an Accurascale Deltic on order too although it doesnt fit my geography/time frame - and neither does a Baby Deltic but see video. The amount of time and effort the Accurascale lads are putting in to development it should be awesome.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I got some really nice sound into a 31 (since donated to a friend) a couple of years back by installing a single Zimo ‘Dumbo’ speaker, having first removed the fan assembly, which is a gimmick anyway.  Just two speaker wires to solder to the decoder and I really like the clarity from the ‘Dumbos’.  There was an article in the April 2018 Hornby mag with a blow-by-blow account of how to do this in a ‘56’, which is virtually the same inside except it has a double fan so they fitted a double Dumbo in that one.

Edited by Solo
Should have said, the sound project was Digitrains ‘Active Drive’
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well played with the CV’s both over all volume and engines volume also found a step control on the f keys 16 I think books in the loft. Did nothing!! 

but this morning the speaker turned up, I hacked one side to get it to fit as mentioned above and glued some plastic card to reseal the box. Soldered it and now sounds so much better,  thank you all for your help. 

Only problem is lights don’t work in one direction oh well I’ll see if it’s something I’ve done.

Now I wants  another but what I would like a 37 However I know Accurascale are doing one so might wait for that. So it’s one from the 24 to 27 classes. Any suggestions.

I’ll safe trying re- blowing a chip for when I’m not on the Apple so much for uni, need to get away from it now and again. 

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear that worked for you! Accurascale 37 on order here too 

So if you are prepared to consider the price tag the SLW Class 24 is the Rolls Royce....if you want something to tinker with a 26 or 27 from Heljan - look at installing the DC KIts speaker tanks for cracking results..

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=427&search=class+27+fuel+tank

Second loco in video

New Bachmann 24/1 is good but benefits from speaker being changed - 25 a bit old in tooth, they and Heljan are releasing new ones so possibly worth waiting for that if you want a 25

Cheers

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Well as I already have the Bachmann 24, 25 and the Heljan 26, 27. I thought I’d Go for a 26 ESU biffo decoder now on it’s way. I might have caught something though I won’t do any steam locomotives.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2020 at 22:07, farren said:

Think so a Zimo LS 18x13x13, that’s what came as recommended.. “I have fun with that”? Have I dropped a booboo

Not at all!  Fun in true sense.... easy to fit and will perform well.

• RMweb Gold

That sugar cube went in the bin useless thing. You could just hear it and once the loco was moving with any wagon it was drowned out. Mind the biffo should be here tomorrow for the class 26

Edited by farren

If you use the correct ones with an airtight large enclosure (Not the ones Bachmann use) in combination with a Bass speaker they are exellent, just ask to listen to our duel fitted locos at any show Legomanbiffo are at.  IF we ever have anymore shows this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, charliepetty said:

If you use the correct ones with an airtight large enclosure (Not the ones Bachmann use) in combination with a Bass speaker they are exellent, just ask to listen to our duel fitted locos at any show Legomanbiffo are at.  IF we ever have anymore shows this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie

DNsw.gif