The Tyne dock Consett thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody noticed that one of the photos of the Type 2 on a train has a pair at Claytons banking! Apparently they did not stay very long, but interesting that there is photographic evidence that they were used for a few weeks.

David

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Norton961 said:

Anybody noticed that one of the photos of the Type 2 on a train has a pair at Claytons banking! Apparently they did not stay very long, but interesting that there is photographic evidence that they were used for a few weeks.

David

Yes, I did, on May 28th.

Edited by iands
punctuation

19 hours ago, Norton961 said:

David

A couple of shots from my website courtesy of Bill Watson:

24andclaytons-@southpelaw1.jpg

Claytonsfinal.jpg

John

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2014 at 17:30, RBAGE said:

The diverted ore trains would have gone via Lanchester.

The banker would wait at Lancester.

The ore trains did go through Lanchester. I was born at 5 Croft View which overlooked the northern exit of the station  near the railway bridge that crossed Newbiggin Lane.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How big was/were the turntables at Tyne Dock? Were they big enough to turn 9Fs?

Were the 9Fs turned on shed or did they use the loop adjacent to the iron ore conveyor?

Has anyone got drawings/plans for Tyne Dock shed?

Edited by RBAGE

Rail Centres: Newcastle by Ken Hoole has a track plan of Tyne Dock shed as it was in 1929.  And shows a 50' and two 42' turntables in the roundhouses with a 60' turntable outside.

The 9F had a total wheelbase of just shy of 56' so I guess they may have just fitted on the 60' turntable which was still there in 1956, not sure if it was there in the 1960s.

www.old-maps.co.uk has a 1956 map that shows the track plan then.

Edited by johndon

Great photos/links in this thread. I didn't realise Claytons had been trialled on the Tyne Dock to Consett route. NER got its own allocation from 1964 (either Thornaby or Gateshead). 

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but the Claytons first trialled in 1963 were D8500 (7/9-30/9/63 at Tyne Dock); D8501 and D8536 (7-14/9/63 at Tyne Dock; 14/9-5/10 at Ardsley) - all returned to 66A after. 

Between 1964 and 1971 D8588-D8603 were at 52A for periods (and at Thornaby) except D8589 (till 1970) and D8591, 95, 96 (withdrawn 1968); D8604 and 8605 transferred from Sheffield Division to 52A 6/67 to 12/67. 

(All data from BR Database)

Presumably any of these could/would have operated on the route. 

Edited by MidlandRed

16 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

D8500 "expired" & never got out of Gateshead shed for use in the trials. D8536 was sent as a substitute.

Interesting - perhaps explaining the allocation history difference for D8500 - and 1963 pictures on trains would thus be D8501 and D8536.

Edited by MidlandRed

7 minutes ago, David jennings said:

Fascinating thread! I’ve just moved to Knitsley, about 2 miles from Consett and I think at one time it had a station on the Durham / Lanchester / Consett line : it’s now a cycle path which crosses one of the roads near where I live - the thought of ore trains going across that crossing is just amazing ! 

It did indeed, David

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/knitsley/

Mark

On 18/01/2020 at 20:48, David jennings said:

Mark - a huge thank you! I’ll be out hunting round that area as soon a weather warms up !! 

No problem, David. There's lots to see in the area - my wife and I have done the whole Broomside to Consett & on to Rowley route, which of course passes Knitsley (and the diversion off the trackbed at one point), the Lydgetts Junction complex around Consett and Hownes Gill viaduct. We still have Consett to Rowlands Gill to do, and also the full length of the Consett to Washington (the 'classic' iron ore route...). By the way, there's a nice cafe near Lydgetts Junction if you need refreshment :)

There are also some old internal user wagons from the steelworks to be seen in the Consett area.

Enjoy!

Mark

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Forty years ago today, the final iron ore train ran to Consett Steelworks.

On 10 September 1980 it all came to an end with the running of 6K60, the 18:15 Redcar to Consett ore train hauled by 37053 and 37055, the final ore train to run to Consett.

The photographer who took the shots of the last train below was an Assistant Freight Controller responsible for the Redcar to Consett ore trains, sent me the following notes:

“One aspect of the Redcar to Consett Ore trains, and the sole reason why I was able to record the passing of the last one, was that they consistently ran early. The crew diagrams and train working were packed with spare time. The driver was allowed enough time to prepare two Class 37s on depot, then light diesels to Tees Down Stagings, attach the set of the previous working from Consett, work to Redcar Ore Terminal, load the same set, work to Consett, slip work onto the set off the previous working, then return to Tees Down Stagings, detach the set then light to the shed. But, in practice, they walked across to Tees Down Stagings, relieved the inward working from Consett, at Redcar Ore Terminal they detached their set and took one that was already loaded, as there were more than enough sets of wagons to do this, then ran round at Washington in such a short time that I find it hard to believe that a brake test was conducted. To this end they ran amazingly early, right to the last. When I photographed 6K60 it was approximately 110 minutes early! 
The light was fading fast, and another ten minutes or so would have been too late. I was mightily relieved when 6K60, which was timed to leave Redcar at 18:25, appeared around the sweeping curve from Annfield Plain just in the nick of time.”

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by johndon
  • Like 18