The Tyne dock Consett thread.

92063, specially cleaned for the occasion, with 'The Tyne Docker', the final 9F hauled Tyne Dock to Consett iron ore train, passes through Leadgate on it's way to Consett on 19 November 1966.  Visible at the rear are the two brake vans (one full of enthusiasts) and the Class 40 banker (which most photographers that day desperately tried to ignore).  Eden Colliery visible in the background and the white building on the left is the Jolly Drovers pub which is still there today.  Photo copyright Keith Pattison.

4.1.jpg.4a1fe083e803f27e286e63d9b8f99ed2.jpg

Edited by johndon
  • Like 14
  • Agree 2

On 27/08/2014 at 00:12, stovepipe said:

I believe the Leamside line was the normal route for the iron ore in steam days, the route via Gateshead and Ouston Jct was from dieselisation onwards.

Would the diverted ore trains have used the whole Deerness Valley route, or did they reverse at Deerness Valley Jct, and then go via Lanchester?  Deerness to Crook and then reverse up the Tow Law line seems unlikely.

The iron ore trains used to go through Lanchester. I was born there and can remember the trundle up to Consett.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, metman said:

The iron ore trains used to go through Lanchester. I was born there and can remember the trundle up to Consett.

Ore trains did go through Lanchester but only when the main route was out of action.

The banker would wait at Lanchester station for the big push.

• Like 1

Just now, RBAGE said:

Ore trains did go through Lanchester but only when the main route was out of action.

I'm relying on the ore train running through Lanchester to justify running trains on my layout, based on Newton Hall Junction.

56 minutes ago, metman said:

I believe the Leamside line was the normal route for the iron ore in steam days

The "traditional" steam day route never traversed any part of the Leamside Old main Line. At Washington, it paralleled it on the Pontop and South Shields route through the goods lines for a few hundred yards from Washing ton Chemical Works and to the east of the station then crossed the Leamside on the level at Washington South Junction.

P

• Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

38 years ago today, the 'Last Train to Consett' ran consisting of 46026 and seven MK1 coaches, the train ran from Newcastle to Consett via Ouston Junction and then back again.  From Keith Turner, with permission, here are four photos taken at the site of Consett station.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 11

2 hours ago, David jennings said:

John

fascinating !! The last picture of the ‘tunnel’ with structure to the right - do you know where that was ? Is that the tunnel that still exists under what is now the coast to coast cycle route / near to where the slag ladle is parked ?

dave j 

ps - sorry if you’re not local to here in which case it’s a daft question ! 

I'm about 20 minutes away from Consett so fairly local :)

I believe that the tunnel had the line from Consett Low Yard to Blackhill running through it, which is pretty much dead centre of the map in this link. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=54.85660&lon=-1.84668&layers=168&b=1

If you move the slider at the bottom left, the current satellite image comes in to view.

John

Edited by johndon

1 hour ago, johndon said:

I believe that the tunnel had the line from Consett Low Yard to Blackhill running through it, which is pretty much dead centre of the map in this link. 

Man made tunnel to go under the new No. 3 plant  (I think that's what they called it.)  North side of the bridge in this image.

13966692710_f51658c088_o.jpgConsett 1980 by Jon Hale, on Flickr

and JT  (Petes mate) has recently put up a series of nine images of the works that include this 1971 view.

https://flic.kr/p/2n8u3Dz

P

• Like 4

On 07/11/2020 at 19:59, RBAGE said:

It would of been needed. You should try cycling up the line now in a head-wind!