What went wrong?

• RMweb Premium

Recently I’ve been painting some 0-16.5 motive power, two railcars for myself (they have a seperate thread), plus a steam loco and a diesel loco for a friend.   All the models were primed with Alcad microfiller primer and painted with Tamyia acrylics. I put the (Fox) transfers on yesterday and gave them a quick coat of Testors Dullcote matt varnish today.  Before varnishing I made sure the Dullcote was at room temp as were the models, although I did apply it in the garage. They all looked fine afterwards. I went out for my exercise walk while the varnish dried, everything was still OK except for one side of the steam loco boiler - the other side is fine.  While I can rub it down and respray it, I would like to know what went wrong so I don’t have the same problem again.  I don’t know if its relevant, but that boiler is the only thing that was metal - everything else is plastic, resin or 3D printed.

33AADCE3-FD1B-466A-9EAB-1391341C2AD3.jpeg.e43b836f855522f61fc0d7cea766fd30.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I had this issue with Testors varnish. It attacks some kinds of plastic, in this case the plastic film of the transfer. If the varnish goes on too thick and stays wet for more than a few seconds, this is what happens. I found I had to airbrush it in very fine coats so it dried almost the instant it touched the model to avoid this crazing effect. I also found the same effect if I used it on an enamel painted model...it attacked the paint and did what you see here.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Testor's Dullcote from an aerosol will go on too thickly if you're not careful with it. Being an aerosol it's a binary device - either on or off. No control of volume or direction!

The best way to combat the problem that you have encountered is to spray from about 12" away and move the aerosol across the work from one side to the other fairly quickly. This will ensure that there is only a thin coat reaching the model and that it dries very quickly.

I sympathise with your result. Guess why!

Edited by Mick Bonwick
I've only just noticed how old the original post was. Sorry.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1