Evening, I've been thinking about buying a 7mm kit from either Gladiator or Connoisseur, but I was curious about the quality of the Motors and gearboxes. Gladiators recommendation for few certain models were a ABC gearbox and a Maxon motor, but that comes out to be £120. While Connoisseur offers their own motors and gears for only about £45. Is there really a big difference in the quality? 

Appreciate any feedback,

Steven

There is a big difference in the quality. The ABC boxes have skew cut gears, heavier side pieces and are multistage reduction and come fully assembled, whereas the Connoisseur units are etched sides and single stage worm and wheel reduction which needs self assembly. Having said that I fitted a Connoisseur gearbox and Mashima motor to a NB Scott 4-4-0 and after running in it is very quiet and smooth. Connoisseur have a good leaflet on assembling and running in their gearbox on their website.

Another manufacturer I've had recommended to me is MSC Models http://www.mscmodels.co.uk/.

Slaters https://slatersplastikard.com/others/gearboxes.php also produce gearboxes for 0 gauge, but the one I have is a bit 'whiney'.

I would say that it depends on what you want the loco to do, if it's for heavy trains one of the more expensive units would be more satisfactory, but for smaller locos and lighter trains the Connoisseur unit is perfectly satisfactory. Note however that Connoisseur says on his website he will only supply motors to people buying one of his loco kits.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The ABC gearbox is machine milled out of solid brass while the Connoisseur version is etched in flat brass sheet which you fold up to create a gearbox. Many modellers have used fold up gearboxes very successfully. I haven't and I remain to be persuaded that it is possible to fold up etched gearboxes to the same level of accuracy as a milled box. The Connoisseur product is an excellent example of its type but if I have spent several hundred pounds on a kit and a further hundred on wheels I would want the best drive I could get. There are other good milled gearboxes available which are cheaper eg MSC which would do the job

Kubes

I have all three of the above plus a few fold up with motors salvaged from old toys, massage chairs etc etc. My first choice would always be the ABC / cannon as it is guaranteed out of the box performer, silent and smooth in both directions. When the Mashima motors became difficult to source a shop in South Wales found an 1833 that was at least as good as the Canon and Mashima. Initially it was about 2/3 of the cost but seems to have crept up to the old Mashima price. One problem with the budget approach is the variable quality of the worm and gear from different suppliers. The fold up gear case requires either great care or luck. There are people who can get these to perform perfectly but I fear they have been down to the crossroads and traded their soul for this black art. For some reason I can only get them to run silently in one direction despite hours spent adjusting and running in with a wide variety of abrasive compounds. The fact that no one offers a ready to run pre-assembled can/ fold up gearbox for under 50 pounds seems to confirm my suspicions and makes the engineering quality of the ABC unit a bit of a bargain.

There was also the RG7 but they command silly money on eBay and open a different discussion on coreless motors.

Edited by doilum
Text error
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, JeremyC said:

There is a big difference in the quality. The ABC boxes have skew cut gears, heavier side pieces and are multistage reduction and come fully assembled, whereas the Connoisseur units are etched sides and single stage worm and wheel reduction which needs self assembly. Having said that I fitted a Connoisseur gearbox and Mashima motor to a NB Scott 4-4-0 and after running in it is very quiet and smooth. Connoisseur have a good leaflet on assembling and running in their gearbox on their website.

Another manufacturer I've had recommended to me is MSC Models http://www.mscmodels.co.uk/.

Slaters https://slatersplastikard.com/others/gearboxes.php also produce gearboxes for 0 gauge, but the one I have is a bit 'whiney'.

I would say that it depends on what you want the loco to do, if it's for heavy trains one of the more expensive units would be more satisfactory, but for smaller locos and lighter trains the Connoisseur unit is perfectly satisfactory. Note however that Connoisseur says on his website he will only supply motors to people buying one of his loco kits.

Thank you for the information, since Connoisseur doesn't really have any of the "Large" locos other than the B12 I should be fine with the weaker motor and gearbox, as long as they run good. How strong would that be though? I'm trying to make all my rolling stock, so mainly brass for coaches and plastic for wagons

2 hours ago, Kubes said:

The Connoisseur product is an excellent example of its type but if I have spent several hundred pounds on a kit and a further hundred on wheels I would want the best drive I could get. There are other good milled gearboxes available which are cheaper eg MSC which would do the job

Kubes

I can understand that, but I'm new to kit building so I'm starting with the small locos first, so no need for super duty motors and gears for them. Plus I really don't wanna have to spend more money if it isn't necessary, but I see that being a necessity for the large passenger or freight locos. Be a shame to see a King only pulling a handful of coaches lmao

• RMweb Premium

I use Slater's gearboxes in nearly all my 7mm loco building, they are designed and made in the same way as the ABC ones with as far as I can tell the same gears. I've had no trouble or excess noise with them at all and they are usually sent as soon as I order them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I take your point on cost but I think Doilum made the most valid point. It is hard enough to build a sweet running chassis without introducing the added variable of a fold up gearbox.  At least with a milled box you can be sure that it is square right from the off. 

Kubes

11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you can source gearboxes, the Taff Vale Models can supply motors for 7 mm locos:

http://www.taffvale.wales/Model-Railway-Motors.html

Premier Components also provide motors and gearboxes:

http://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/motor_gear_boxes.html

Roxey Mouldings can supply fold up gearboxes, I think these may be of the Markits brand.

John.

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

And they are usually sent as soon as I order them.

Can't relate. Been waiting nearly a week for my wagon kits just for the payment to go through. I know we have Covid right now, but they haven't even responded to my email about it