UK-US Airmail Transit Time

BRTrainz

Not based in the UK - but I've got experience sending stuff from mainland Europe to the USA. Just over 2 weeks for a (tracked, first class/priority) letter was typical prior to the current Virus. You'd always see the tracking tell you it got to the US within a day of dropping it off at the post office - followed by customs clearance quite quickly - followed by 2 weeks of nothing until it suddenly arrived at the destination city.

But a  recent letter: departed Europe the day after dispatch... next tracking event was arrival in the US almost 2 weeks later. That could mean it waited almost 2 weeks to actually be put on a plane, or they're being slow at processing on arrival on the US (seems more likely - the arrival point in the US happens to be NYC where I imagine things are chaotic). It's still nowhere near the destination city.

I think there are a couple of issues here.  There is less capacity as many airlines have suspended international flights. Here in Canada, Westjet and Transair have parked their airplanes and Air Canada has drastically cut back service. Which means any parcels from the UK are going to take a lot longer to arrive.

Even in normal times, a parcel from say Hattons or the US takes 2-3 weeks to come. Parcels seem to to be held up by Canada Customs for screening and whatever else they do.  Couriers are faster at a higher shipping cost. 

Malcolm 

Calgary, Canada 

• RMweb Gold

That higher shipping cost is up around 40%-60% on February’s prices at the moment depending on routing. Prices are also take it or leave it, not the usual valid for 14-30 days.

• Like 1

Last parcel I got took around 2.5 weeks to get to NY, another package took over a month though it has taken that long from that seller before there was a pandemic. On the other hand, a package I sent to UK hasn't had it's tracking updated in a over a month now, last notification was it was being processed through the Jamaica processing center.  

Thanks all.

I've won some H0e carriages from a UK eBay seller so I'll see when they show up...

Normal transit time for me from the UK is 1-2 weeks (usually around 10 days).

Last package from Hattons took three weeks (packed on March 24th).

• RMweb Premium

Hi, Parcel shipped international tracked to Virginia on 30/3, arrived 7/04. Better than to Portugal, sent international tracked, which took same 6 days, but the postie in Portugal opined that the recipient was 'not known at the address' (Quite wrong) and duly returned it. I have yet to receive the parcels which have to be sent back to Portugal.

Canada Post recently said parcels volumes are at Christmas levels with all the things being bought on line. Add to this the usual black hole of customs plus lack of air traffic and things will be like they were when everything came by ship. 

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2020 at 01:26, SomethingTrainLover said:

Last parcel I got took around 2.5 weeks to get to NY, another package took over a month though it has taken that long from that seller before there was a pandemic. On the other hand, a package I sent to UK hasn't had it's tracking updated in a over a month now, last notification was it was being processed through the Jamaica processing center.  

We've got exactly the same, an item on the way to us, sat in Jamaica processing center since 7th April.

I am waiting on a package from the UK that has sat in Los Angeles since April 22. Apparently it is "in customs". It only took a day or two to get there from the sender mailing it. Mind you, Royal Mail tracking shows it in San Francisco all that time...

Gordon

• RMweb Premium

Another data point: a small parcel from Wales on April 14th made it to Indiana this past Wednesday, May 6th. Still waiting for a book from another shop in Wales mailed on April 8th.

In another part of the world, UK to Australia is usually two weeks. Still waiting on a parcel from the UK, six week and counting. Having said that, a parcel from Melbourne to 90mins down the road took three weeks....

• RMweb Premium

Update to my earlier posting - the Portugal Postal Authorities started the return process (!) but never got round to actually returning the parcels. The intended recipient is making arrangements to collect. Apparently there is not much air traffic between UK and Portugal.

• 2 weeks later...

My parcel from Hattons just arrived today, just shy of five weeks after posting. NOT a criticism of Hattons, their service has always been first class....I guess we have to expect this to be the new 'normal' for some time to come. On the plus side, my next should be here soon:D