Bachmann OBA/ZDA body/chassis removal?

• RMweb Premium

I bought a load of Bachmann ZDA ex OBA bauxite wagons quite cheap when they weren't shifting off shelves some time ago, with the aim of repainting the majority of them into the (often faded) dutch colours.

I was hoping to be able to remove the body from the chassis to repaint by masking and airbrushing, but after a few minutes pulling and gentle levering they don't seem too willing, I thought I'd seek council on here first, do they even separate? or are they moulded as one, and I'm into the rather more tedious approach of hand painting around the chassis detail?

Edited by Foden

I have a Bachmann ZDA (ex OCA) and a few OCAs. They all have a very small screw located centrally underneath the chassis.

I think you probably also need to remove the screws at each end which hold the axle housing in place.

Not sure if the OBAs are the same.

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't see any other fixing underneath other than the pivots for the two axles. With these removed and some persuasion the middle of the chassis does want to come away from the body, so I'm sure it's possible. It just feels stubborn at the two ends. I've levered and pulled as much as I dare without confirmation from someone who's done it that this is the way.

• RMweb Premium

Just thought it'd be useful to update this for anyone who searches it in future. Buffers at both ends slot into the chassis through the body, so to separate the two you must carefully pull the buffers out, this will then release the body from the chassis. 

• Informative/Useful 3