Albion Wharf

John of York61

• RMweb Premium

Hi John - your new layout looks fantastic.

P.S  I have got some gauge 0 clockwork motors if you want .... quickly grabs hat and coat and heads for the door .....   

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

52 minutes ago, coronach said:

Hi John - your new layout looks fantastic.

P.S  I have got some gauge 0 clockwork motors if you want .... quickly grabs hat and coat and heads for the door .....   

Thanks Richard.....I may have difficulty fitting DCC decoders to them!!!!

Starting to use the 7mm door furniture etch from Scale Link...with a Langley etched drain cover beneath the pipe. Must get my act together to do the layout sub-frame: the idea is to have a frame the layout can sit on. The lighting/backscene is attached to the sub frame so that it can be put up at exhibitions (backscene clipped up etc BEFORE the baseboards slide in as it were). 

100_3399.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2020 at 13:37, coronach said:

Do you have a track plan you can share?

A bit rough and ready, but here it is. 1 RH point and 1 single slip. Front view blocker will be demolished building with cars parked on it, a la St Andrewgate! Been busy with the grass flocker today. Needs more! The little spur at the left of the slip will JUST take a Fowler 0-4-0 DM

sketch 005 master.jpg

1977 st andrewgate 2.JPG

100_3416.JPG

100_3418.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Made a start on the other end. The lane drops down from Skeldergate to the level of the wharf. It will be part stone setts/tarmac (it's set in 1977 after all!). Do I really want to carve the brickwork in all that DAS on the late Medieval building? No; I will clad it in Slater's Flemish bond. Made a little repeater phone bell for the office too.

100_3424.JPG

100_3426.JPG

100_3423.JPG

Edited by John of York61
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gave up the scribed DAS approach to the brickwork of the Pub. Slater's Flemish bond for that Georgian look. The layout is set in 1977 so I was looking for a poster that would be appropriate; I can think of nothing better! Usual method of printing on cartridge paper, spray-mounted to brass sheet and cut to fit. It will never warp in spite of being so thin! 

Got to build the layout subframe and LED lighting rig as I'm sick of looking at the bedroom wall.....high time I did a backscene!

100_3444.JPG

100_3445.JPG

100_3449.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out- I remember that layout from the BRM, one of the first railway mags I bought.  I was so impressed by the artistry of the scenes, it was very eye-catching, I'm sure this one will be great :)

• Thanks 1

Time to start thinking of the other end. A collection of brick sheds from the old Corporation Depot on Foss Islands Road. Going to create some interesting view blockers between the sheds. Partly demolished building will be the little (illicit) car park. The Dapol 08 is there because I couldn't resist having a little 'play'!

Must get the inset track done........

100_3458.JPG

100_3460.JPG

100_3462.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Now modelling again after 8 months (mum's dementia plus new boiler behind the layout(!)

Started building a Judith Edge Ruston 165 and tonight I painted the Modelu shunter for the Dapol 08.

Next comes the ply sub-frame for the layout, to which the lighting and backscene will be attached and I can really get a move on! I have a potential invite to Expo EM North in September 22 as a guest layout in 7mm.

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

• Like 5

I’d often wondered what had happened to the 4mm version, I can remember it at York in 1994 or 95 and was impressed by the atmosphere of a typical urban yard at any time in the 1930s-60s period.

Good to see the pics of it.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2021 at 19:37, John of York61 said:

Now modelling again after 8 months (mum's dementia plus new boiler behind the layout(!)

Started building a Judith Edge Ruston 165 and tonight I painted the Modelu shunter for the Dapol 08.

Next comes the ply sub-frame for the layout, to which the lighting and backscene will be attached and I can really get a move on! I have a potential invite to Expo EM North in September 22 as a guest layout in 7mm.

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0191.JPG

Hi John. Good to see you are able to get on with some modelling again. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry to be off for so long! I haven't done much for a year due to mum's dementia. Recently though, I have finally got a bit more time and turned to a bit of loco building; Judith Edge Ruston 165 with a Digitrains sound decoder....I like the 'wagons hunting/couplings snatching feature', namely, if you apply a sharp braking manoeuvre, you get the clatter of multiple wagons! Also doing up some Corgi/Vanguards vehicles to suit 1977......

2022 14 Oct 1.jpg

2022 14 Oct 2.jpg

IMG_E0502.JPG

IMG_E0505.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, John of York61 said:

Sorry to be off for so long! I haven't done much for a year due to mum's dementia. Recently though, I have finally got a bit more time and turned to a bit of loco building; Judith Edge Ruston 165 with a Digitrains sound decoder....I like the 'wagons hunting/couplings snatching feature', namely, if you apply a sharp braking manoeuvre, you get the clatter of multiple wagons! Also doing up some Corgi/Vanguards vehicles to suit 1977......

2022 14 Oct 1.jpg

2022 14 Oct 2.jpg

IMG_E0502.JPG

IMG_E0505.JPG

Good to see you've been able to make some progress, m'colleague!  Love the rust on the Ruston .... 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bit more work. LED strips fitted to the old 'Kirkham Abbey' Fascia. I will add deeper overlays so it equals the height of the side plates. Next is the 'curtain rail' around the back to support the vynil backscene. 

Weathered the Heljan 03

IMG_E0544.jpg

12 Nov 2022 driver.jpg

Edited by John of York61
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

At last, the vynil backscene is clipped on. About 50mm off the back of the baseboard; it will depict the opposite bank of the river Ouse. Just need to break out the pencils to plot it out and a few hours with the paints! Sampled photos of what the image will look like, suitably doctored vehicles to simulate 1977. I also recall the the "Lowther" was "Lowther Hotel"!

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

ousebridge3.PNG.gallery.jpg

100_3122small.jpg.1116b1655150f7ae281b3d0a7e2e7441.jpg

316681604_3358563234384823_5180885465705114966_nandrew halstead.jpg

316817674_3361037227470757_3641477376920384820_n.jpg

• Like 9