The Hayling Island Branch: The Hayling BIlly - John Scott-Morgan

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I've tried looking for reviews of this on the forum but with no success.  Has anyone read this book?  If anyone has, would they mind sharing a bit about it; I would be particularly interested to know if it contains building drawings, track diagrams, signalling details, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

I bought this book when it first came out.

There is a brief history of the line at the front but otherwise it is just a landscape format picture album with a colour section towards the end. 

There are a few basic track plans at the back but no other drawings at all.

The only reference to signalling is a short section called 'a selection of signalling' which consists of 4 photos. 

Overall I think it is a very pleasing book but probably lacks the information you are after.

Rodney

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rodney,

That's very helpful, thanks.

I think you are correct, in that it's not quite what I am after, though the photos may be helpful.  I am not so much interested in the line as the Terriers that worked it.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Branch Line to Hayling, one of the very many excellent Middleton Press books may be helpful.  One photo shows the interior of the Hayling Station signal box including the levers and the signalling diagram.

It has been out of print for many years but I am sure a copy can be found easily on the second hand market.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've looked at a few of that series over the years, and always found them interesting.  I actually ordered a copy (used) today.  Interestingly, I searched Middleton's website, and they seemed to be suggesting it was available:

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/books/railways/branch-lines/branch-line-to-hayling.html

Regards,

Alex.

Although the Middleton book is an excellent one, it is primarily a "picture book" although it is liberally sprinkled with timetables and OS maps. A better book to track down is Peter Paye's The Hayling Railway, published by Oakwood Press (now Stenlake{?}). No 49 in their Railway History series,published in 2013, ISBN 0853617303. Beware, it is an updated version of a slim volume published in 1979, with the same title, so watch out in the second-hand market! It is packed with the information you are after - locomotives, signalling and track plans, timetables, structural drawings and even a drawing of the train ferry.

A useful introduction to the line is The Hayling Island Branch Line, by Ralph Cousins, and available from The Spring Arts and Heritage Centre, Havant. Published in 2014 it is a rather more personal view of the line, and, when I bought it on line, only £5.

The classic book covering the line was Branch Lines of the Southern Railway, Volume 1, from Wild Swan, published in 1980, and probably a little harder to find. However, most of the drawings from this were included in Paye's second edition, which largely superseded the WSP work.

If it is only the locos you are interested in, then Middlemas is one of the best sources, together with Volume One of the RCTS Locos of the LBSCR by Bradley. 

• RMweb Premium

HI Nick,

Thanks for the recommendations.  I've got a copy of Peter Paye's book on order; it's the 2013 edition.  I've read a couple of his GER focussed books over the years, and find him worth reading.  From your comments it sounds like it's the one that will answer most of my questions.

I used to own the Southern Branch Line book, but found the chapter on Hayling to be a bit disappointing.  That said, much of the rest of it was fascinating.

The Cousins volume is new to me so I'll look that up.

Thanks for the heads-up as to which volume of the RCTS book covers the Terriers.  As for MIddlemas, I have a copy of that.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post all of this; it's all helpful.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Scott-Morgan book arrived today - quite a few familiar photos and locations, but a lot that were new to me too.  Colour section is very helpful too.  Exactly as suggested earlier by RodneyS.

Cousins book - managed to obtain a pdf version today.  Seems to cover everything connected with the line and its business.  Even has sections on the local bird-life, and buses.  Very much as Nick Holliday already described.

Peter Paye book also arrived today  Again, exactly as Nick Holliday described.

Now just waiting on the Middleton Press book (due Friday).

Once more, thanks for all the helpful information and thoughts.

Regards,

Alex.