Welsh Highland Railway Russell paint colour 1924-34

LBSC123

Hi all,

I've recently ordered a 3D printed model of Russell in cut down condition and am now looking to what colour I will paint it. I know that after 1934 the Ffestiniog repainted Russell into green with black border but I haven't been able to find much information on the colour before that. The Fourdees model of Russell as cut down is in green, and their description states it's suitable for after 1924. However, Boyd in Narrow Hagie Railways in South Caenarfornshire Vol 2, The Welsh Highland Railway, states [after cutting down] "that no effort was made to repaint either of the two foregoing engines" (the other being Moel Tryfyn).

However, Boyd has come under some scrutiny in recent years for accuracy, so does anyone know if this is correct? If so would a colour similar to the one it's presently painted suffice?

Thanks,

Will

• 1 month later...

Hi Will. Russell would of been in its original livery of NWNGR maroon at this time and as now running. 

If you require any information on the carriages I'd be happy to lend advice as I restored them at Gelerts Farm between 2002 and 2009. Research became rather obsessive. 

Also the Baldwin would of been black and facing Portmadoc until 1934 when it was turned to face Dinas and painted maroon. Model tryfan was always maroon and faced Port. Hope this is useful.

Andy

Ps if you'd like more info DM me so I don't miss it.