JAMIE'S RANDOM UK RAILWAY PICTURES

Re the workings to Ruddington, the train was propelled into the tunnel at Weekday Cross from the junction near Meadow Lane with the Midland/GN goods yard, then hauled to Ruddington.

I remember standing on the midland station one summer, probably 1969 or 70 while waiting for exam results, when a pair of 20s hammered overhead heading for Ruddington. Driver was really giving them a thrashing, maybe he was ex GC and showing those 'down below' how a proper main line worked:clapping_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, great central said:

Re the workings to Ruddington, the train was propelled into the tunnel at Weekday Cross from the junction near Meadow Lane with the Midland/GN goods yard, then hauled to Ruddington.

I remember standing on the midland station one summer, probably 1969 or 70 while waiting for exam results, when a pair of 20s hammered overhead heading for Ruddington. Driver was really giving them a thrashing, maybe he was ex GC and showing those 'down below' how a proper main line worked:clapping_mini:

It would be interesting to know how near to the Victoria Centre the tracks extended.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Pretty much to the tunnel mouth I believe. The tunnel mouth and wingwalls, along with other general bits of infrastructure, are still there behind the doors from the carpark. Hayden Reed has pictures taken on an official visit in one of his books about Nottingham"s railways. 

• Thanks 1

the little circle on the smokebox door is a patch over of were a vent slot was and is only on locos used in the Porta experiments

https://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/austerity/portaausterity.htm

it perhaps could be Hunslet 2414

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hunslet-works-no-2414-70066-s112-spitfire-revenge-0-6-0st/

ive got no idea though for the Hudswell behind

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Jamie re your bit about settle, I remember being in a field at Garsdale waiting over an hour for one of the two a day late running services hauled by a class 47. When it eventually turned up the battery in my SLR when flat. Not only did i miss the shot, I was concerned that I would have no camera to use till we found a large town. luckily a shop in Appleby had the right battery which really surprised me but I bet that you can't do that these days. Luckily modern DSLR rechargeable  batteries give you a bit more warning and last a lot longer. however no more shots on the S and C that day.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Jamie re your bit about settle, I remember being in a field at Garsdale waiting over an hour for one of the two a day late running services hauled by a class 47. When it eventually turned up the battery in my SLR when flat. Not only did i miss the shot, I was concerned that I would have no camera to use till we found a large town. luckily a shop in Appleby had the right battery which really surprised me but I bet that you can't do that these days. Luckily modern DSLR rechargeable  batteries give you a bit more warning and last a lot longer. however no more shots on the S and C that day.

There are plenty more to come.  We lived across the valley on a ridge above Giggleswick from 1959 till I finally left in 72. From our kitchen and dining room we could see 2 miles of the Long Drag from just south of Settle Ststion up to Langcliffe.  What a view to gave whilst having breakfast.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

Hi Jamie,

Love the Langcliffe photos.  We used to have a static caravan on Langcliffe park site.  I walked a lot of the area, and used the train to get to other stations.  A favourite was over Blea Moor, following the line of the tunnel air shafts, from Dent to Ribblehead.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We're two pictures missing from the last lot, unless it's me just having an electronic moment with the tablet!

Also, the Penistone shot is a superb view of the Bobol E's and their method of loading, Mr Bullock may be along shortly!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

We're two pictures missing from the last lot, unless it's me just having an electronic moment with the tablet!

Also, the Penistone shot is a superb view of the Bobol E's and their method of loading, Mr Bullock may be along shortly!

Mike.

Yes indeed Mike - a cracking shot as you say! along with the rest of them......

Good to see the bars are not all straight and that theres a heavier load on the leading wagon to reduce the risk of derailments :D

Many thanks for highlighing.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes indeed Mike - a cracking shot as you say! along with the rest of them......

Good to see the bars are not all straight and that theres a heavier load on the leading wagon to reduce the risk of derailments :D

Many thanks for highlighing.....

Also the red painted ends of the bars, I'm sure I've seen a nail varnish that colour!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I wonder if the fella leaning against the platform, possibly writing something (?), in the Penistone shot has taken a possession on that line?

Nowadays it would be an absolute no no to be working even when a train passes on another line, full PPE as well required including hard hat.

Not that I'm suggesting the extra safety measures are a bad thing as still people get injured and worse trackside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 01/05/2020 at 17:18, jamie92208 said:

It would be interesting to know how near to the Victoria Centre the tracks extended.

They extended a hundred yards or so into the tunnel.  Here we see Peak no.38 approaching the tunnel mouth at Weekday Cross with a train from Ruddington on 1st May 1974. 

1738044610_740501NottinghamWeekdayCrossJuncGCline38A9.jpg.1ad3323e52a998dd3a448e05b2cb8dc7.jpg

It ran into the tunnel  then reversed to London Road.  There was no run-round loop.

2000107047_740501NottinghamWeekdayCrossJuncGCline38A8.jpg.a2a2665d3e8856d13515eee3015162d4.jpg

Chris Turnbull

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

They extended a hundred yards or so into the tunnel.  Here we see Peak no.38 approaching the tunnel mouth at Weekday Cross with a train from Ruddington on 1st May 1974. 

1738044610_740501NottinghamWeekdayCrossJuncGCline38A9.jpg.1ad3323e52a998dd3a448e05b2cb8dc7.jpg

It ran into the tunnel  then reversed to London Road.  There was no run-round loop.

2000107047_740501NottinghamWeekdayCrossJuncGCline38A8.jpg.a2a2665d3e8856d13515eee3015162d4.jpg

Chris Turnbull

Someone clueless architect/local planners have allowed a monstrous carbuncle to appear to dominate the current scene.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere I've got a photo showing the original viaduct across the Midland Line that was demolished only for a new one to be built. Sortsighted isn't the word.

Jamie

7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Somewhere I've got a photo showing the original viaduct across the Midland Line that was demolished only for a new one to be built. Sortsighted isn't the word.

Jamie

There's a lot more examples of that right along the GC in the Nottingham area, specially where the current tramway uses the trackbed or very near by

• Agree 1

On 01/05/2020 at 22:00, sir douglas said:

the little circle on the smokebox door is a patch over of were a vent slot was and is only on locos used in the Porta experiments

https://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam/ldp/austerity/portaausterity.htm

it perhaps could be Hunslet 2414

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hunslet-works-no-2414-70066-s112-spitfire-revenge-0-6-0st/

ive got no idea though for the Hudswell behind

The austerity in the photo is not S112 as she is a 50550 class 18", the precursor of the 18" austerity. Unfortunately I cannot identify what it is.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Following on from the earlier Penistone shot, another bloke standing in the danger zone with his back to the passing train.

Different times.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/05/2020 at 19:58, jamie92208 said:

A few more tonight. Continuing at Ravenglass. First off is Rver Irt just coming off shed, I'd probably lit it up and as a special treat was often allowed to drive the first loco off the shed when I'd finished polishing it.

686855304_Film6010A.jpg.bec22231e03ec9b0357957ccfda87e58.jpg

Then a shot of the station with two trains in the platforms. River Mite on the left and River Esk on the right.

1431811200_Film6013A.jpg.0406b17bbc52d2db9785059d69716f77.jpg

Finally a shot taken from the top of the ruined crushing plant at Murthwaite, I was allowed to explore it with a view to possibly making a model of it. River Esk doing the honours.

1448028896_Film6018A.jpg.60030fc43b17b66450cbc3e7b8f7481b.jpg

Then a shot taken at Ackton Hall Colliery, Featherstone, probably late June 75.  I've no details of the Locos I was on a Police driving course and was in lodgings just down the road.

1786268738_Film8003.jpg.e40d04fce72813c4f16516084d515034.jpg

Finally, hav.ng passed the course, what do you do when you're bored and it's a sunny morning.  Answer park up under the M62 at Ardsley and take this photo of the Leeds Executive heading south out of the panda car window.

860698674_Film8012.jpg.0600e862722f07070de6da728eb3900b.jpg

More tomorrow

Jamie

The austerity is probably S143 a Bagnall build from 1944. It had been at Ackton Hall just over ten years and was scrapped on site in 1976. As boy racers we kept a good eye out for the card from Crofton. Always immaculately clean, four up and no chance of being let off with a bollocking!

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2020 at 19:58, jamie92208 said:

A few more tonight. Continuing at Ravenglass. First off is Rver Irt just coming off shed, I'd probably lit it up and as a special treat was often allowed to drive the first loco off the shed when I'd finished polishing it.

686855304_Film6010A.jpg.bec22231e03ec9b0357957ccfda87e58.jpg

Then a shot of the station with two trains in the platforms. River Mite on the left and River Esk on the right.

1431811200_Film6013A.jpg.0406b17bbc52d2db9785059d69716f77.jpg

Finally a shot taken from the top of the ruined crushing plant at Murthwaite, I was allowed to explore it with a view to possibly making a model of it. River Esk doing the honours.

1448028896_Film6018A.jpg.60030fc43b17b66450cbc3e7b8f7481b.jpg

Then a shot taken at Ackton Hall Colliery, Featherstone, probably late June 75.  I've no details of the Locos I was on a Police driving course and was in lodgings just down the road.

1786268738_Film8003.jpg.e40d04fce72813c4f16516084d515034.jpg

Finally, hav.ng passed the course, what do you do when you're bored and it's a sunny morning.  Answer park up under the M62 at Ardsley and take this photo of the Leeds Executive heading south out of the panda car window.

860698674_Film8012.jpg.0600e862722f07070de6da728eb3900b.jpg

More tomorrow

Jamie

The austerity is probably S143 a Bagnall build from 1944. It had been at Ackton Hall just over ten years and was scrapped on site in 1976. As boy racers we kept a good eye out for the cars from Crofton. Always immaculately clean, four up and no chance of being let off with a bollocking!

4 hours ago, dvdlcs said:

Following on from the earlier Penistone shot, another bloke standing in the danger zone with his back to the passing train.

Different times.

Not quite the same I don't think, the train must be on the curve reversing towards meadow lane junction, so as the line was single and 'one engine in steam' nominally (is there a correct term such as one loco only if it's not steam?), he shouldn't be at any risk.

I'm not suggesting it's in accordance with the rules though.

Edited by great central