JAMIE'S RANDOM UK RAILWAY PICTURES

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Western Aviator said:

One of Thursday’s pictures shows a motorail wagon with a protective metal cage fitted. I’ve never seen one of those before so I presume their use was not widespread.

I think it was a speculative  prototype constructed by Procor called a Procor80 but I need to check.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

500hp less and more of their own weight to pull. You would not expect it to perform as well given the same weight of train.

You are, of course, quite correct but I fear the finer points of motive power capabilities would have been lost on many of my fellow travellers.  All they wanted was a train that kept to the timetable.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 1

Notice that the short formed HST had the guards compartment of the TGS away from the power car. Wouldn't work too well in service, as there is no public access through the guards area in the TGS (or there wasn't when I sat in one last year).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments which are much appreciated.   The Tardis is still parked at Rainhill tonight.  First the 08 assisting one of the replicas.

1698767128_Slides1980-B021.jpg.6105c5dd8c9816dddffd39b4aef8746d.jpg

That was the end so they all came trundling back again. First was the replica which this time was doing fine by itself.

448540391_Slides1980-B025.jpg.4e28ae912dad368cd50368ba3b96b482.jpg

Ignore the big black smoke cloud, I found a foreign body on the scanner plate the next day.  Then came the 56 which I didn't get a decent shot of on the first pass.

572124528_Slides1980-B026.jpg.e6119ba1002086fd4c6296269f91c168.jpg

And of course I had to include a bit of one of Sir William's masterpieces.  All the trains were being hauled by the loco that was behind them in the cavalcade.

499583999_Slides1980-B031.jpg.810e516374db8aba5b0bab94b4b8994e.jpg

And of course this just happened to have another photo taken of it.

1145369040_Slides1980-B033.jpg.f3e357129d997d9644b2c6986eb88999.jpg

And the final steam movement, this time on the Manchester bound track, the Wigan breakdown crane.

754961695_Slides1980-B034.jpg.18eab0b4296943ea5cd08f9b5e6fefa7.jpg

All in all an magnificent show.  I very much doubt whether we will ever see something similar done for the 200th anniversary.  Perhaps a preserved Pendelino.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

All in all an magnificent show.  I very much doubt whether we will ever see something similar done for the 200th anniversary.  Perhaps a preserved Pendelino.

,and a class 66, and a class 66, and a class 66, and a class 66, as nauseum!

Mike.

• Funny 3

They have just five years to organise the Stockton & Darlington 200. The sad thing is that unlike the 1975 event, when all the exhibits arrived in rail convoys, any exhibits will almost certainly be delivered by road.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 62613 said:

Re-Rainhill; you can't have been that far from where my brother and I were

From memory, which isn't totally reluable we were at the west end of the stands on the north side. Somewhere I've still got my ticket, thevprogramme and I think the Special traffic notice.

Jamie

On 07/06/2020 at 09:34, doilum said:

They have just five years to organise the Stockton & Darlington 200. The sad thing is that unlike the 1975 event, when all the exhibits arrived in rail convoys, any exhibits will almost certainly be delivered by road.

Probably true, but on the other hand for S&D 200 there is now the excellent Locomotion Museum at Shildon, plus the Hitachi factory not far away, so hopefully something suitable (and big) will be organised !

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Probably true, but on the other hand for S&D 200 there is now the excellent Locomotion Museum at Shildon, plus the Hitachi factory not far away, so hopefully something suitable (and big) will be organised !

Just wish I had a camera back in the day. I spent that summer working at the maltkilns. Every morning we pushed open the doors on the disused rail loading Bay and had our 8:30 break in the fresh air.  One Monday we were suprised by this amazing train of ancient shiny stock heading north. This spectacle was repeated each morning in the same spot for a week.

Edited by doilum
Predictive text error
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, doilum said:

Just wish I had a camera back in the day. I spent that summer working at the maltkilns. Every morning we pushed open the doors on the disused rail loading Bay and had our 8:30 break in the fresh air.  One Monday we were suprised by this amazing train of ancient shiny stock heading north. This spectacle was repeated each morning in the same spot for a week.

Was that for Shildon or when they moved all the stock from Clapham to York. I know thatbthat all moved in convoys, including Ellerman Lines after it was sectioned.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Early entries today as we've some friends coming round this evening.  I also decided to have a slight change of subject as I discovered two set of photos taken at Manchester Airport in early 1980.and I thought that some of you might be interested n a few planes.  We'll be back to trains tomorrow. First off a Laker Airways plane, I'm not sure of the model. I always had a soft spot for Sir Freddy with his Berlin Airlift background.

441656970_Film1980-4006.jpg.42842b0ba58b7843bd2ed96b181d6e8f.jpg

Next a BA VC10.  My brother was a pilot for BOAC later BA and started his career flying VC10's. He loved them and apparently they could take off like a rocket as they were designed for the high altitude East African runways.

1671503673_Film1980-4012.jpg.2806a644ce6278ad46c1745fa7a77065.jpg

And here one is just lifting off.

2109061609_Film1980-4013.jpg.9c0a435c985a4388a00007a1e3de1556.jpg

They seemed to take off in half the distance of other planes and then rocketed up at what looked quite a steep angle. One Christmas the one that John was on broke down in the Seychelles and the whole crew had to spend a week there until the spare parts arrived.  My poor mother wondered why no on was having any sympathy for poor John who couldn't get back to Settle for Christmas.   Next a Dan Air Plane.  Again I'm not sure of the model.  

1000250907_Film1980-9012.jpg.0c28a08cb3673699ed2f5c6a81fc65e4.jpg

Then a BA 747 landing.  By this time my brother had transferred to the 747 fleet and was enjoying life on long haul.

1189126814_Film1980-9013.jpg.12af24731e579e1bdc7c426de2afb71a.jpg

Then it taxiing in to the stand, they just looked so big.   When they first flew I was living near Heathrow for a few months and used to see them coming in.  There was a sort of optical illusion because as they were so big they seemed to be going at half the speed of all the other planes.

207199553_Film1980-9017.jpg.cbff3efea811245bd318b8ed110711c8.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Was that for Shildon or when they moved all the stock from Clapham to York. I know thatbthat all moved in convoys, including Ellerman Lines after it was sectioned.

Jamie

Shildon I think. This was late July / August 1975 just before the 150 celebration. I seem to recall being told at the time that they had been stored overnight west of Methley Junction on the stump of the line up to Newmarket. There was a truly eclectic mix of locos, wagons and coaches both ancient and almost recent in each train.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Followed fairly shortly by a double headed freight.

355822812_Slides1980-C004.jpg.47ba4421cc80589ee370a562a4b4b7b8.jpg

They must have been doing maintenance work on the reservoir as it is very low.as you can see as the freight goes over the crossing.

It's well down at the moment. Once again there is a problem with the Torside Dam, I think about the sixth or seventh big one in its lifetime. They have rigs up there drilling and pumping concrete into voids. They have just finished the same on Rhodeswood Dam, the next below it, where it took about nine months of concrete pumping over a 50 yard stretch to fill the holes. Must have been like Swiss cheese inside, and people up here are a bit twitchy about dams since Whaley Bridge last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Jamie, your Laker and Dan Air aircraft are both BAC 1-11s. The Laker example has it written under the cockpit windows. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

It's well down at the moment. Once again there is a problem with the Torside Dam, I think about the sixth or seventh big one in its lifetime. They have rigs up there drilling and pumping concrete into voids.

I've just put some new hybrid tyres on my old hardtail bike so I may take it up there for a test in the morning. Will see if I can get a shot or a screen grab from my body camera.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've got Harold Bowtell 's book about the construction of the dams on my bookshelf somewhere. It's s good read and the light railway that served the construction sites on the north side of the reservoirs was very interesting. I might just go and get it from the shed tomorrow. I believe they had some problems during construction

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Woodhead Dam had to be rebuilt as it showed faults early on. Rhodeswood moved quite a bit when first filled apparently.

Evidence of the railway can still be seen. A couple of buildings are still there and you can see the impression of the sleepers where it is used as a path at Crowden. It was electrified c1905. Power at the waterworks yard was generated by a hydro at Bottoms IIRC. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Lovely shots of Ravensthorpe. I remember passing through there quite a few times before the buildings were finally demolished.

One of my friends did an archeological survey of it before they were demolished. He gave a very interesting talk about it to tbe Wakefield Club. IIRC it was built from kits of parts produced at Crewe.  The whole area is due to change again as part of the Trans Pennine upgrade.

Jamie

• Like 1