JAMIE'S RANDOM UK RAILWAY PICTURES

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2021 at 16:33, jamie92208 said:

The next day, the 11th I went up to meet Mike, better know on here as The Stationmaster and we had a pleasant hour trainspotting at IIRC Tilehurst where this Voyager came through.

P6110856_resize.JPG.35034b3a70dc7ed0189e42663f7add60.JPG

Yes, that’s Tilehurst. I’ve spent more time waiting for trains standing on that exact spot than I care to remember. Thanks for all the images and stories that went with them. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, sir douglas said:

i had a look at Milner lane in 2017, both rails still there but one hidden under the muck

Thanks for correcting the name of Milner Lane Sam. I've updated the post.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

I believe that there are still rails down (sidings and pointwork) on the site of one of the Rothwell pits served by the E&WYUR which were still accessible a couple of years ago and seen on one of 'Adventure Me's' You Tube offerings about walking the remnants of the lines. 

I used these as a basis for several walks last summer but was beaten by the last couple of lockdowns before I had chance to view these sidings for myself, maybe this year. Rothwell is the opposite side of Leeds to me and although I do drive past it every time I go to work in Wakefield I've kept my daily walks strictly local in respect of the guidelines.

Thanks for the great tour of the country via your photographs Jamie, I've enjoyed seeing them.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2021 at 15:16, 03060 said:

I believe that there are still rails down (sidings and pointwork) on the site of one of the Rothwell pits served by the E&WYUR which were still accessible a couple of years ago and seen on one of 'Adventure Me's' You Tube offerings about walking the remnants of the lines. 

I used these as a basis for several walks last summer but was beaten by the last couple of lockdowns before I had chance to view these sidings for myself, maybe this year. Rothwell is the opposite side of Leeds to me and although I do drive past it every time I go to work in Wakefield I've kept my daily walks strictly local in respect of the guidelines.

Thanks for the great tour of the country via your photographs Jamie, I've enjoyed seeing them.

Regards,

Ian.

I think I've seen those pictures on Facebook. If they are those ones as far as I know they are the narrow gauge material handling tracks round the old pit shafts.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As threatened I've started a new thread with European content. It's in the Continental and Overseas section on the French Railways sub thread, called.....

JAMIE'S RANDOM FRENCH RAILWAY PICTURES.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4

• jamie92208 changed the title to JAMIE'S RANDOM UK RAILWAY PICTURES
  • 8 months later...

Like finding treasure.

When my father died and we cleared his house, I harboured thoughts of finding the 36 exposure slide film I took on my first ever SADRES railway visit: Crewe, 6th March 1966. Brits, Jubes and the Duke.

It went missing before being processed.

Sadly, it didnt turn up.

To this day I believe my dad chucked it as useless rather than paying for processing. He never approved of train spotting.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JeffP said:

Like finding treasure.

When my father died and we cleared his house, I harboured thoughts of finding the 36 exposure slide film I took on my first ever SADRES railway visit: Crewe, 6th March 1966. Brits, Jubes and the Duke.

It went missing before being processed.

Sadly, it didnt turn up.

To this day I believe my dad chucked it as useless rather than paying for processing. He never approved of train spotting.

Somewhere are my 35mm b&w negs of the 15 guinea special at Blea Moor. If they ever turn up I'll scan them.  The photos above were taken with my Ilford Sportsman that I eventually left on a train before I got my first SLR in 1974. Finding this box was treasure indeed as there are some nice ones of my mum and dad, sadly no longer with us.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I’d recommend having an extended play with your graphics editor before doing too many more. Looks to me from that sample above that you may be able to get some better results than what you got so far. Maybe! 
I’m always surprised by how much I can rescue things. 

Edited by eastwestdivide
Rescue
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

I’d recommend having an extended play with your graphics editor before doing too many more. Looks to me from that sample above that you may be able to get some better results than what you got so far. Maybe! 
I’m always surprised by how much I can rescue things. 

Thse were the worst ones on IIRC, Perutz colour film. It was my first ever colour slide film and I din't have a light meter so had to guess the exposure. Considering what I started with they've come up better than I hoped. However It looks as if further work could produce results. It's not really my area of expertise.

Thanks for the comments.  I was wary about posting them.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for a few more raves from the grave. To start with the last one from Crewe on 22/11/70

123487283_Slides1970-A010.jpg.fe9fa16bff8beb5cec6ecad50ecbb4f0.jpg

We now move on to 1971 and I was having what would now be called a gap year in London, working for BP at Sunbury on Thames.  These are I think from July.  One evening i went up to town and this was the interior of St Pancras.  It looks a little different now.

1916086003_Slides1971-A007.jpg.15475cc7f2eeb26ffc844b03c87a1777.jpg

By the July I was living in a bedsit at Hounslow West on Standard Road and often used to pedal up to Heathrow on an evening. Hear an East African Airways VC10 is on the stand whilst a BOAC one taxis past.  At this time my brother was flying VC10's for BOAC as a rather new 1st officer.

1624187531_Slides1971-A009.jpg.3178d0b11ec849201d3db7f6b8756f55.jpg

Not sure what these are, possibly a Viscount or britannia on the right.

640518453_Slides1971-A013.jpg.2d0f253e984e5933b54627f0214d0852.jpg

One Saturday afternoon I went down to Shepperton and two different styles of 4 Sub were present.

1095562872_Slides1971-A017.jpg.2fc9aa860ad366d421061f6f127fed60.jpg

Then on to Weybridge and this came through.  I think it's a 4 TC/4Rep set.

2040261942_Slides1971-A019.jpg.15dbeb149ccdda8422ccf999c78e8ea3.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2021 at 16:59, jamie92208 said:

And a 2 car set.  I think that this was one of the ex North Tyneside units but can't remember the designation.

These were still called 2EPB but I don't think this unit is one of them - the luggage vans were larger than standard and they got a smaller indicator blind

Actually, on zooming in on the pic, it's an SR/Bulleid-design unit - the Tyneside units were BR-design 

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Barry O said:

A proper Peak!!  Only ever saw one once.. at Peterborough on a Fly Ash train..

Baz

From my missprnt youth i went to Toton a couple of times and on a Sunday, all ten 44's were usually parked in a line oposite the depot between the up yard and the main line. Trent junction on a Wednesday  afternoon was another of my haunts, when we were meant to be doing sports. A bike ride out to Trent was my exercise. The 44's on loose coupled coal trains coming off the flyover to head soth, usually with a brake tender in front of them.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening from a rather cold Charente. Some more from the Toton open day. A crane was giving a lifting demo.  I think it was still steam powered in 1971.  That 20 went up and down all day like a proverbial pair of drawers on a lady of the night.

323477648_Slides1971-B023.jpg.db3f95f82753dda779d735e8d9ace9c4.jpg

Here it is.

1530129369_Slides1971-B024.jpg.1a99e30a7c746be2d962dc45e8cdaae0.jpg

There was certainly steam at the back of the shed with a portable track.

480232141_Slides1971-B025.jpg.1a1dfffcc52b755af2c13e02ae19f0ee.jpg

And this was the view inside the depot.

722856959_Slides1971-B026.jpg.d059c870614003189d927727db8d6a86.jpg

Next we move on to what I am fairly sure was Birkenhead North.  I  went on a day out and they let me wander round the shed.

846695652_Slides1971-B027.jpg.391a35bf1b2b6d1a57c2611295665344.jpg

Third rail and all.   I always had a fascination for the Merseyside electrics, here are some more on shed.

1266742330_Slides1971-B027a.jpg.cfbaafd709f70dd05f40b50b3f743d9f.jpg

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The second Birkenhead pic is interesting as it shows the original cl.503 front end - later on they gained a door in the centre of the front end and hence had air pipes on either side of the door. Not sure when it happened but was due to the requirement to have an end door for evacuation in the tunnel sections.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, keefer said:

The second Birkenhead pic is interesting as it shows the original cl.503 front end - later on they gained a door in the centre of the front end and hence had air pipes on either side of the door. Not sure when it happened but was due to the requirement to have an end door for evacuation in the tunnel sections.

I'm fairly sure the pictue was taken in 71 but not what date. My slide labelling wasn't very organised then.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

The upper one is one of the Southport units which had buffers and screw couplings rather than buckeyes. The cab windows were also a slightly different shape: square with rounded corners whereas the outer edges of the Merseyside units sloped with the profile and the corners were angles.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

It was a requirement for the loop which opened in 1977, so they were converted prior to then.

• Thanks 2